Rolling Ashes Squad Thread, now featuring Haddin XII v Hick XII beginning p. 147

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Khawaja despite the last innings against SL is probably the most in the gun.

Despite a couple of examples (UAE mainly), he is the first player to fold like a lawn chair under pressure.

Warner
Bancroft/Harris
Khawaja/Patterson
Smith
Head
Patterson/Bancroft
Paine
Cummins
Starc/Richardson
Lyon
Hazlewood/Richardson

As the most realistic options at the moment. Funnily enough, Bancroft speaking out against Warner might give Harris the running tbh. It's probably more than a little awkward for opening partners having that sort of history with each other.

There is zero chance Warner misses this Ashes tour. Zero.

He averages 37 from 8 tests in England which is more than most of the players you have listed do in FC cricket....

I'm not apposed to potentially playing around with Warner, at 3,4,5,6. But he's the first picked after Smith.

You need game breakers like Botham, Johnson, Flintoff, Pieterson etc in Ashes series. Warner is one of them, despite his flaky away record in certain regions, he has shown when he hits form in any part of the planet, he destroys sides.

I'll take the low % that he hits that sort of form during this Ashes series vs taking a player in their first couple of tests, because if he does hit that form, we will win the Ashes.

I don't think I articulated myself correctly, sorry about that. I agree that there is no chance he doesn't tour and there is very little chance he doesn't make the XI but IF the other guys keep putting their hand up, his spot just becomes that little bit less guaranteed and I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing. If he isn't feeling as self-entitled, he might just hit that form we all know he is capable of and THAT is a really good thing.

Harris makes his ton.

Renshaw might find himself right down the pecking order if his form doesn't improve. He looked better in that second innings but really needs a big one soon. That said regardless of good knocks from Harris I think the Sri Lankan series really hurt him, some of his dismissals really undermined some good work against the Indians.

Khawaja despite the last innings against SL is probably the most in the gun.

Despite a couple of examples (UAE mainly), he is the first player to fold like a lawn chair under pressure.

Warner
Bancroft/Harris
Khawaja/Patterson
Smith
Head
Patterson/Bancroft
Paine
Cummins
Starc/Richardson
Lyon
Hazlewood/Richardson

As the most realistic options at the moment. Funnily enough, Bancroft speaking out against Warner might give Harris the running tbh. It's probably more than a little awkward for opening partners having that sort of history with each other.
I think it’s far more likely the players and selectors will be on Bancroft’s side. Not to say they will leave Warner out so as not to upset Bancroft, just that they’ll tell Warner to keep his trap shut and put up with it. That said, I reckon Bancroft would make a solid number 6.

So who is in the frame after the first shield match - who am I missing?

Bats
Harris
Burns
Khawaja
Head
KP
Smith
Warner
Bancroft
Wade

(1 to miss)

All-Rounder?
Lasagne
Stoinis

(1 to miss)

Keeper
Paine
Carey (May miss if they select Bancroft or Wade)

Bowlers
Starc
Hazelwood
Cummins
Richardson
Bird
Lyon
Second Spinner?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the openers keep performing like this then Warner might find it hard to be in the 11. He will be in the tour squad but he wouldnt have played any FC games and only a handful of 1 day games wheras Burns and Bancroft will be playing 4 day games. Silly that Harris isnt playing county crikett, he is definitly not assured of a spot in the 11.

Open to playing around with the order, l reckon Bancroft or KP would be a fantastic number 3. Bancroft occupies so much time which frustrates Anderson and co (remember when Anderson threw the ball and hit Bancroft), he could be our version of Pujara.

My 11 (depending on form in England):
Harris
Burns
Bancroft
Smith
Head
Patterson
Paine
Cummins
Richardson
Lyon
Hazlewoo

Massive statement by Harris after his terrible BBL.

Great to see runs in both innings and that he wasn't affected by the poor decision in the first innings.
Just can’t see Harris making the Ashes squad he has no experience in England and opted out of a county deal. Bancroft, Burns and Renshaw will all have 7 FC games in England under their belt by the time the squad is picked. Unless all those blokes fail over there I can’t see them selecting the bloke who isn’t playing

Just can’t see Harris making the Ashes squad he has no experience in England and opted out of a county deal. Bancroft, Burns and Renshaw will all have 7 FC games in England under their belt by the time the squad is picked. Unless all those blokes fail over there I can’t see them selecting the bloke who isn’t playing
Well maybe his 500 or so more runs than Renshaw this season so far will tell a different story. Plus he's pretty much guaranteed a go in the A tour.

Well maybe his 500 or so more runs than Renshaw this season so far will tell a different story. Plus he's pretty much guaranteed a go in the A tour.
So if that puts him a head of Renshaw how do you justify him over Burns or Bancroft? Opting out of playing county cricket wasn’t a smart move on his part and I do believe if one of those 3 bat well over there they will get the spot in the side

[QUOTE="Seedsfan, post: 59678518, member: 148571"]Just can’t see Harris making the Ashes squad he has no experience in England and opted out of a county deal. Bancroft, Burns and Renshaw will all have 7 FC games in England under their belt by the time the squad is picked. Unless all those blokes fail over there I can’t see them selecting the bloke who isn’t playing[/QUOTE]
.... Guaranteed spot in the squad. He is the current leading run scorer in FC cricket this season.

.... Guaranteed spot in the squad. He is the current leading run scorer in FC cricket this season.
So? Renshaw was the third highest run scorer in the 2018 calendar year and due to lack of form at the start of the year missed selection. So hypothetically lets say Renshaw continues his run of poor form in England that rules him out but what if Banger and Burns are both making big runs in English conditions would you expect someone to get picked of the back of what they did for Victoria 5-9 months earlier over them?

The counter point is if all three of them fail in England no matter how well any of them finish the year they will rule themselves out

So if that puts him a head of Renshaw how do you justify him over Burns or Bancroft? Opting out of playing county cricket wasn’t a smart move on his part and I do believe if one of those 3 bat well over there they will get the spot in the side
Well incumbancy over Bancroft, and averaging more in test cricket, whilst also having 160 more runs than Burns and averaging 35.5 more in Shield cricket. Are you seriously saying that a 26 year old that is looking likely to have a 1000+ run season (which hasn't happened since the 14/15 season) is unlikely to go on an overseas tour where we haven't won since 2001?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back