Rolling Ashes Squad Thread, now featuring Haddin XII v Hick XII beginning p. 147

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

So good innings by Labuschange and Head and looking ahead to the ashes will their innings today effect Maxwell's selection seeing he has been deprived of playing the longer version of the game by our selectors for over 6 months now.

Richardson was born for the northern English pitches.

Bowls mid-high 130’s, can put it on a dime consistently and can swing it both ways to left and right handers.

He might not hoop it as much as him yet, but give him a duke ball and a greentop, this kid is going to look like a young Jimmy Anderson.

So good innings by Labuschange and Head and looking ahead to the ashes will their innings today effect Maxwell's selection seeing he has been deprived of playing the longer version of the game by our selectors for over 6 months now.

Patterson looked a class above both of them, and came in against a brand new ball under lights, and only really fell because he had to up his scoring rate because he was out of partners.

The other two came out against a ball 30 overs old and in bright sunshine.

Despite being set, both of them were knocked over as soon as the conditions got slightly tough.

Patterson batted for almost 30 overs in those conditions.

Last edited:

Bowls mid-high 130’s, can put it on a dime consistently and can swing it both ways to left and right handers.

He might not hoop it as much as him yet, but give him a duke ball and a greentop, this kid is going to look like a young Jimmy Anderson.

The whippy action of Richardson is closer to Steyn than Anderson imo.

The whippy action of Richardson is closer to Steyn than Anderson imo.

I can certainly see the similarities there as well, however Dale has a couple of gears on Richardson. Dale made the ball talk as well.

His pace isn’t to dissimilar to Anderson’s, hence where I see the similarities.

I can certainly see the similarities there as well, however Dale has a couple of gears on Richardson. Dale made the ball talk as well.

His pace isn’t to dissimilar to Anderson’s, hence where I see the similarities.

Isn't Jhye a quick bowler who can hit 140+?

Richardson at full pace has serious wheels

I think he has it in him to bowl low 140’s, but bowls within himself and hits his spot 90% of the time, Anderson used to hit 140’s when he was younger too, but both settle at mid 130’s with extreme accuracy.

Dale could hit close to 150 when he was younger and fired up. Like I said, he has a gear or two on him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he has it in him to bowl low 140’s, but bowls within himself and hits his spot 90% of the time, Anderson used to hit 140’s when he was younger too, but both settle at mid 130’s with extreme accuracy.

Dale could hit close to 150 when he was younger and fired up. Like I said, he has a gear or two on him.

I don’t disagree with you but Jhye can get to high 140s when he wants to, I’ve seen him hit 148.

Ashes is a squad of 15 yeah?

If can think of 31 names who are a chance.. that speaks of so few making themselves indispensable, rather than so many players in form. No doubt I have missed a few..

I have Bolded who I would like to see named, based on players abilities and also considering squad balance. My squad is made up of:
6 Batsman
2 All Rounders
1 Keeper
5 Fast Bowlers
1 Spin Bowler

Batsmen:
Warner
Harris
Khawaja
Smith
Head
Patterson

Pucovski
S.Marsh
Bancroft
Handscomb
Burns
Renshaw
Finch

All rounders:
Labuschagne
Stonis

M.Marsh
Maxwell

Wicketkeepers:
Paine
Wade
Carey

Fast Bowlers:
Hazelwood
Cummins
Starc
Richardson

Siddle
Tremain
Bird
Patterson

Spinners:
Lyon
Holland
O'Keefe

I guess my two 'controversial' selections are Stonis and Bird, probably at the expense of Pucovski and a different bowler. To be honest I had Pucovski in my squad ahead of Warner, but I don't think that is realistic..

I can see Stonis being a real match winner as a genuine all-rounder, and Bird is a bowler who I think was born to play test-cricket on an english wicket!

What are your thoughts?

Patterson looked a class above both of them, and came in against a brand new ball under lights, and only really fell because he had to up his scoring rate because he was out of partners.

The other two came out against a ball 30 overs old and in bright sunshine.

Despite being set, both of them were knocked over as soon as the conditions got slightly tough.

Patterson batted for almost 30 overs in those conditions.

Wow, great story. All three did well today without being outstanding but you are inflating what Patterson did.

If can think of 31 names who are a chance.. that speaks of so few making themselves indispensable, rather than so many players in form. No doubt I have missed a few..

I have Bolded who I would like to see named, based on players abilities and also considering squad balance. My squad is made up of:
6 Batsman
2 All Rounders
1 Keeper
5 Fast Bowlers
1 Spin Bowler

Batsmen:
Warner
Harris
Khawaja
Smith
Head
Patterson

Pucovski
S.Marsh
Bancroft
Handscomb
Burns
Renshaw
Finch

All rounders:
Labuschagne
Stonis

M.Marsh
Maxwell

Wicketkeepers:
Paine
Wade
Carey

Fast Bowlers:
Hazelwood
Cummins
Starc
Richardson

Siddle
Tremain
Bird
Patterson

Spinners:
Lyon
Holland
O'Keefe

I guess my two 'controversial' selections are Stonis and Bird, probably at the expense of Pucovski and a different bowler. To be honest I had Pucovski in my squad ahead of Warner, but I don't think that is realistic..

I can see Stonis being a real match winner as a genuine all-rounder, and Bird is a bowler who I think was born to play test-cricket on an english wicket!

What are your thoughts?

Batsmen:

1. Warner
2. Harris
3. Khawaja
4. Head
5. Patterson
6. Pucovski

7. Stoinis
8. Labusausage

9. Paine

10. Cummins
11. Richardson
12. Hazlewood
13. Starc
14. Pattinson

15. Lyon

Finally settled,
6 Batsmen
Harris
Warner
Khawaja
Smith
Patterson
Head
Reserve Flexible Bat
Burns
All-Rounders
Labuschagne
M. Marsh/Stoinis
Keeper
Paine
Spin Bowlers
Lyon
Holland
Fast Bowlers
Cummins
Starc
Hazlewood
Richardson
+ any 2 of Bird, Siddle, Sayers, Worrall, Pattinson, Boland, Tremain, Neser

Pucovski stiff

Doesn't need to hoop it as much, just enough.

I'll be surprised if he starts the series though. They are wedded to having a leftie in the line-up and the other three have experience over there now, so unless Starc really keeps falling off this cliff, he, Haze and Pat will start the series.

Finally settled,
6 Batsmen
Harris
Warner
Khawaja
Smith
Patterson
Head
Reserve Flexible Bat
Burns
All-Rounders
Labuschagne
M. Marsh/Stoinis
Keeper
Paine
Spin Bowlers
Lyon
Holland
Fast Bowlers
Cummins
Starc
Hazlewood
Richardson
+ any 2 of Bird, Siddle, Sayers, Worrall, Pattinson, Boland, Tremain, Neser

Pucovski stiff
How many will be in the squad?

We've gone with as many as 17 before but we'll also have a shadow squad over there as well so we won't be short on numbers.

the 17 man squad was more when we played a 6 test series though.

in saying that i think you'll find we took 18 on the last tour, but generally its 16 to england for a 5 test series.

i've always wondered if there are rules of how many can be selected as the touring teams here - india had 18 initially and still flew in agarwal.

We've gone with as many as 17 before but we'll also have a shadow squad over there as well so we won't be short on numbers.
I know there is an Aus v AusA game scheduled, but is the AusA squad playing games after that? Against England Lions or Ireland or counties or anything?
If so, they could probably name a squad of 13 and call up others from the A squad. Its not like there are a lot of tour games for the main squad any more. Usually there are a few more in England but the WC cuts those chances this time.

Renshaw, Siddle, and presumably some others will probably get county deals again, and may be better off playing in a competition to be called on if required (both had good county 2018s and if they repeat that would have to come into consideration).

6 Batsman
2 All Rounders
1 Keeper
5 Fast Bowlers
1 Spin Bowler

Batsmen:
Warner
Harris
Khawaja
Smith
Head
Patterson

Pucovski
S.Marsh
Bancroft
Handscomb
Burns
Renshaw
Finch

All rounders:
Labuschagne
Stonis

M.Marsh
Maxwell

Wicketkeepers:
Paine
Wade
Carey

Fast Bowlers:
Hazelwood
Cummins
Starc
Richardson

Siddle
Tremain
Bird
Patterson

Spinners:
Lyon
Holland
O'Keefe

What are your thoughts?

maybe another keeper and spinner which would make your squad 17

yeah, you've assembled a good squad, i'd be interested in your starting XI though :)

batting spots are up for grabs assuming warner and smith are back and anyone who can cash in with a ton v. sri lanka just might get a gig.

looks like the brisbane test everyone missed out (can't see anyone getting a ton in 2nd innings , the way the game is heading), so canberra will be the last audition (plus some shield) before the ashes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back