Rolling Ashes Squad Thread, now featuring Haddin XII v Hick XII beginning p. 147

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon 17 will go.

Bats: Harris, Warner (ugh), Khawaja, Smith, Patterson, Head, Pucovski, Labuschagne
Keepers: Paine, Carey
Bowlers: Starc, Hazlewood, Cummins, Richardson, Tremain (fingers crossed), Lyon, Holland

Harris
Warner
Khawaja
Smith
Labuschagne
Head
Paine (c +)
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood

I know everyone will jump on the Starc selection but he's the only bowler of the "big three" that swings the thing.

Do we need one all rounder for England, let alone two? Given the pitches there, I don't think bowling teams out is going to be the problem. I don't think MMarsh or Stoinis have done enough to be on the plane. And as much as I'm happy for Australians to make runs, I'm disappointed that our final Test hit-out is against such weak opposition as it creates a false sense of confidence in guys like Labuschagne and Head, who I don't have any confidence in for English conditions. I would be taking:

Batsmen
Harris
Warner
Khawaja
Smith
Head
Patterson
* Labuschagne
* Renshaw/Bancroft
*Pucovski

Paine

Starc
Cummins
Hazlwewood
Lyon

*Richardson
* Siddle/Worrall/Pattinson

Last edited:
We still have 4 rounds of sheild cricket so anyone who makes runs or get's wickets still could be a chance
And some may be playing county championship for a couple of months before the Ashes too.

The only players I have in the squad for sure are:
Smith, Cummins, Hazelwood, Lyon.
Khawaja, Paine and Harris probables.
Everything else is wide open.

And some may be playing county championship for a couple of months before the Ashes too.

The only players I have in the squad for sure are:
Smith, Cummins, Hazelwood, Lyon.
Khawaja, Paine and Harris probables.
Everything else is wide open.
Head won't miss out, Warner won't either.

Best thing about Cummins not really being a great ODI bowler is we can wrap him in cotton wool for the Ashes, just has to get through one more Test. I think he could be a really turning point over there, our last couple of tours we've gone in with players who we thought would do well like Bird and Hazlewood but they underwhelmed. I reckon Cummins has what it takes though and could be the difference.

I thought England might white wash us based on earlier form but that innings against the Windies has shown they're not all their against good bowling and even Sri Lanka have a better opening pair then England.

Do we need one all rounder for England, let alone two? Given the pitches there, I don't think bowling teams out is going to be the problem. I don't think MMarsh or Stoinis have done enough to be on the plane. And as much as I'm happy for Australians to make runs, I'm disappointed that our final Test hit-out is against such weak opposition as it creates a false sense of confidence in guys like Labuschagne and Head, who I don't have any confidence in for English conditions. I would be taking:

Batsmen
Harris
Warner
Khawaja
Smith
Head
Patterson
* Labuschagne
* Renshaw/Bancroft
*Pucovski

Paine

Starc
Cummins
Hazlwewood
Lyon

*Richardson
* Siddle/Worrall/Pattinson

I think Marnus is technically an all rounder... Haven't seen enough of his bowling to be sure though. You definitely need an all rounder in the squad, we don't want to rock up to a dead road on a 30 degree day and we only have 4 bowlers.

It's no coincidence Hazlewood got injured after what India did to us. You can't overwork your quick bowlers if you want them around for all 5 tests.

the 17 man squad was more when we played a 6 test series though.

in saying that i think you'll find we took 18 on the last tour, but generally its 16 to england for a 5 test series.

i've always wondered if there are rules of how many can be selected as the touring teams here - india had 18 initially and still flew in agarwal.

Touring teams are more logistics in terms of numbers. It’s not like a world cup where sides have to name squads.

We could take 80 to England if we felt like it.

I think have a core squad but keep things flexible, if someone is out of form in the test side but we have someone killing it in county cricket, bring them in.

If a host nation can pick anyone, so should a touring team.

This also applies if someone for Australia A performs really well in the practice game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon 17 will go.

Bats: Harris, Warner (ugh), Khawaja, Smith, Patterson, Head, Pucovski, Labuschagne
Keepers: Paine, Carey
Bowlers: Starc, Hazlewood, Cummins, Richardson, Tremain (fingers crossed), Lyon, Holland

Harris
Warner
Khawaja
Smith
Labuschagne
Head
Paine (c +)
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood

I know everyone will jump on the Starc selection but he's the only bowler of the "big three" that swings the thing.

Historically theyve taken 17. 8 bats 2 keepers 5 pace 2 spinners.

The above squad is the one i reckon theyll take except for the last pace spot i reckon theyll take siddle over tremain. Maybe Burns over Pucovski as well.

I think most people are settled on a main 17 or 18 players. The main questions for me are, do we take Will Pucovski, even though there are so many bats in the squad? I think A tour for him. Do we take a backup keeper in Carey? A tour for him too in my opinion.

I hope the selectors aren’t basing the ashes squad on the performance of the SL tests. All of our struggling/dropped batsmen from the India tests would likely have done well against that bowling attack. The SL test result needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

Harris, Head, Labushka and Patterson would have been lucky to get to double figures if they were playing against India on that Gabba pitch. Let’s face it...Australia do not have the quality or depth to beat good teams at the moment...even with Smith and Warner back in the team. England in England

I hope the selectors aren’t basing the ashes squad on the performance of the SL tests. All of our struggling/dropped batsmen from the India tests would likely have done well against that bowling attack. The SL test result needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

Harris, Head, Labushka and Patterson would have been lucky to get to double figures if they were playing against India on that Gabba pitch. Let’s face it...Australia do not have the quality or depth to beat good teams at the moment...even with Smith and Warner back in the team. England in England
So we forfeit the Ashes on the basis we have insufficient batsmen to take to England?

Instead of picking a squad of 17, i picked the australia vs australia a teams that will be used as the warm up game before the ashes.
Warner
Harris
Khawaja
Smith
Labuschagne
Head
Paine
Cummins
Richardson
Lyon
Hazlewood

Renshaw
Burns
Patterson
Maxwell
Handscomb/Bancroft/ Wade( playing for b/u w/k)
Pucovski
Stoinis
Starc
Pattinson
Tremain
Holland
Have left out Both Marsh boys, siddle and Finch as i think there are better option available. Although there is a high chance S Marsh will be there.

Last edited:
There is no way Handscomb or Bancroft can be seriously considered for a back up keeper. The only way they should keep in tests is if they're in the side and Paine goes down in the middle of a match.

Instead of picking a squad of 17, i picked the australia vs australia a teams that will be used as the warm up game before the ashes.
Warner
Harris
Khawaja
Smith
Labuschagne
Head
Paine
Cummins
Richardson
Lyon
Hazlewood

Renshaw
Burns
Patterson
Maxwell
Handscomb/Bancroft/ Wade( playing for b/u w/k)
Pucovski
Stoinis
Starc
Pattinson
Tremain
Holland
Have left out Both Marsh boys, siddle and Finch as i think there are better option available. Although there is a high chance S Marsh will be there.
They wont go back to Shaun Marsh at his age now.

There is no way Handscomb or Bancroft can be seriously considered for a back up keeper. The only way they should keep in tests is if they're in the side and Paine goes down in the middle of a match.
Bancroft’s a pretty tidy keeper, if he has good Shield form, I could see him going with a view to filling in in event of an emergency. If Paine actually went down long term, they would simply fly someone in. I don’t think we need a back-up keeper in this day and age but we definitely need to stock up on our bats.

Bancroft’s a pretty tidy keeper, if he has good Shield form, I could see him going with a view to filling in in event of an emergency. If Paine actually went down long term, they would simply fly someone in. I don’t think we need a back-up keeper in this day and age but we definitely need to stock up on our bats.
Bancroft is okay, but there are much better keepers in the country. I don't the Ashes will be lost if they pick Carey over Bancroft but the reverse? Could well be the case.

So we forfeit the Ashes on the basis we have insufficient batsmen to take to England?

Yeah...let’s just give up.

I am saying we go in as massive underdogs...but I always hope for the best. I am a realist. The team will get fantastic experience though, and perhaps we’ll get see some standout performances.

The selectors need to pick players that have the technique for England...including bowlers. I would say Renshaw and Siddle suit English conditions. I am unsold on Patterson’s first test but perhaps he has the technique for England. I hope they don’t base selection on the SL tests only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back