Toast Rookie Pick 29 - Sam Gray

Remove this Banner Ad

To be fair up until 3 weeks ago he had had shown nothing to suggest he had an AFL future. To make it sound like he has shown plenty this year is a bit over the top. But credit where it is due, he has had a good 3 weeks at AFL level and glad to see he is making a better fist of his time at the top level than last year and earlier this year before he was dropped again.
Up until 3 weeks ago we'd barely used him in the midfield. The fact he's gone there and taken little time to adapt is worthy of praise imo

I'm happy to play 4 Wingards anytime. Where can we get 3 more?
While we're at the cloning lab we could use about nine more Robbie Grays and if possible three Warren Tredreas aged around 26.

That's our next few premierships sorted then, glad we got that sorted out.

I admit I didn't think Sam Gray could contribute, but to be sure wanted to play him as a midfielder, not a small forward to be sure.

Now he's been doing well the last three weeks, but against the Hawks, Swans and Fremantle are the big tests. If he can hold up well against the Hawks and Freo this season, then he'd deserve an upgrade. If he struggles then after the last 3 weeks a third year as a rookie, for a depth midfielder at least.

Must be due for an upgrade next year now?Early in the year said no way .But he has taken this last opportunity with both hands.

Deserves credit for a very good last month of footy. I think ultimately though, he does need to develop his game up forward for him to be of most use to us.

I admit I didn't think Sam Gray could contribute, but to be sure wanted to play him as a midfielder, not a small forward to be sure.

Now he's been doing well the last three weeks, but against the Hawks, Swans and Fremantle are the big tests. If he can hold up well against the Hawks and Freo this season, then he'd deserve an upgrade. If he struggles then after the last 3 weeks a third year as a rookie, for a depth midfielder at least.

Spot on. As a small forward, he's got no weapons to contribute at AFL level. As a midfielder, he's quite smart and brave and may have a future. Let's see what he can do against the big teams.

Considering we have had 3-4 players in and out of the side not taking their opportunity...

Sam should be applauded....he reads the ball very well off taps...

Just a few things he could clean up easily and he will be handy.

Also he should have had a few more goals to his name but his team mates burn him quite a bit

What I see in sam is his intent, smarts and effort though he doesn't always have the skills to back them up. If we elevate krak can we also elevate gray in the same draft?

Deserves credit for a very good last month of footy. I think ultimately though, he does need to develop his game up forward for him to be of most use to us.

Have to disagree. If the past few weeks have proved anything it is that Sam is a dead set midfielder, that is where he played his best footy at the Magpies and he has done well there for the Power in the last couple of weeks. If we are going to list Sam as yet another small forward we are wasting his time and ours.

Have to disagree. If the past few weeks have proved anything it is that Sam is a dead set midfielder, that is where he played his best footy at the Magpies and he has done well there for the Power in the last couple of weeks. If we are going to list Sam as yet another small forward we are wasting his time and ours.

You misunderstand me. Sam Gray's best position is clearly as a midfielder, whereas his best use for the side would be as a forward pocket.

This guy is proving me wrong, and I love it.

I liked him early in the year, jumped off in the middle and now I'm back on the SGrayvy train.

As long as we have other targets he definitely has a role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This guy is proving me wrong, and I love it.

I liked him early in the year, jumped off in the middle and now I'm back on the SGrayvy train.

As long as we have other targets he definitely has a role.

I think we're always going to be jumping on and off. He's that type of player.

He's having an OK year. No more, no less. Best of a bad bunch of our small mids/HFF's.

Arguably a career best year even if he is an ok AFL player. Actually, being an ok AFL player is an upgrade from too good for SANFL not good enough for AFL.

He's played 55 games, been put in an unnatural position and is improving. I'm backing him in.

Gray's work rate to spread and open up the ground between the 50m arcs is crucial to us transitioning from defence to offence.

I think he's another who benefited greatly from our forward structure yesterday allowing him to push into space rather than having to punch above his weight in all the down the line bailout kick marking contests.

We judge him harshly.

His involvement in general play is mostly good enough for the role he has in the team. He leads well, marks well for his size and doesn't make too many mistakes with his kicking from marks/free kicks. It's the blind snap when under pressure that is his in-field weakness, and that tends to become more evident against better opposition.

Like our other forwards in general, he should convert more reliably in front of goal. He could have, and should have had 30 goals for the year by now. If he had done that, I would make the case that he has had a very good year. As it stands, I think he has been good.

Season game averages
17.6 disposal
11.0 kicks
6 marks
2.4 tackles, 0.9 inside 50
1 goal (20 for season)
3.3 inside 50s
5.7 score involvements
68.9% disposal efficiency
3.3 turnovers
322.3 metres gained
25 years of age, 55 games played.
Good, with a bit of potential left to be better.

Last edited:
We need to find a couple of the world's best transplant doctors over the off season.

We need to transplant Sam's hard work and non stop running to Robbie and most of Robbie's skills to Sam. That way we would have 2 complete great players who could play either forward or mid field.

Would probably need another transplant expert for them both to receive set shot goal kicking transplants.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back