Prediction ROUND 1 2020 - Pick your best team

Remove this Banner Ad

Big year for Reilly O'Brien

He played well last year but was helped by direct comparisons with Dinosauce who was on his last legs with us.

Any change would have been a welcome relief.

Now the ruck is his to own completely - whether results are good or bad.

Like Murphy though - the key is for him to continue to improve his individual game. Forget all leadership traits or taking Strachan under his wing or any other off field components.
ROB was in our top 3 best players last year and often our best contested ball winner in the midfield. I'm not concerned with ROB at all. The major weakness with ROB is his kicking. Improve this and he will be a top 5 ruck in the comp imo.

Haven't seen a selection prediction for a few pages, I thought I'd have a crack.

I know Hartigan isn't a popular choice, we need his height and weight.
Running 6 foot 2 Doedee at CHB doesn't make sense to me when teams are going with 2-3 tall forwards.

B Brown Talia Doedee
HB Laird Hartigan* Smith
C Seed Crouch Milera
HF Lynch Walker Sloane
F Stengle Fog Murphy

R ROB Crouch Jones

I McHenry Kelly Keays Frampton

EMG Sholl Gibbs Atkins

*McAsey to replace when physically ready.

Brown Talia Doedee
Laird McAsey Sholl
Smith Matt Seeds
Sloane Tex Lynch
McHenry Fog Stengle

ROB Brad Milera

Jones Himmelberg Butts McAdam

Let the rejuvenation begin

Not sure why Murphy is talked about. I see him as problem 18-20 on the list.

17 Players "meh" at best currently at AFL level and most out of contract.
McKay, Davis, Poholke, Wilson, Knight, Atkins, Hartigan, Crocker, Keays, Stengle, McAdam, Gibbs, Gallucci, Himmelberg, Frampton, Strachan,

Who plays round 1 wiill say a lot about Nicks. 5-6 out of this group will get an opportunity but we need 4-6 of the 20 and under group to have huge seasons.
Season hasn't started but it not hard to see whose heads are on the chopping block.

He's capable of being our Puopolo

I like Murphy. He has a crack and has shown a bit.

So many of our players have started promisingly though - van Berlo, Mackay, Knight... - then plateaued and become vanilla mid-range nothing players.

If Murphy continues to improve - his ball handling, field kicking, set shots, decision making about whether to fly or stay down, increase possessions to mid/high teens - then he can be an asset for us.

If he follows the path of those aforementioned plodders though and improves only his other aspects - bench press, 2km time trial results, skin folds, knowledge of game plan, leadership around club, voice in team meetings - then we'll have another list clogger stuck permanently in the 22 and holding us back.

I like Murphy and have a lot of time for him, but I'm just not sure he's cut out to being a small forward. He just lacks that X-factor and killer instinct/forward craft. Playing as a forward just doesn't come naturally to him imo, and he's only surviving on elite work rate and resilience at the moment. I reckon we should send him back to do what he does best, and that's playing as a small lockdown/rebounding defender.

We have 0 depth in that department despite Laird and Brown (not really counting any of Kelly, Doedee and MacPherson. Mackay isnt a small defender either ffs coaches). We also have a whole stack of options to use in the small forward/HF role. I'd rather Stengle, McAdam and McHenry get first priority and Murphy is used as a last resort.

The question I have with Murphy is I'm not convinced he has a huge upside & when we are in rebuild mode, we are better off trying those with a higher upside, even if it means a few more losses as we are not contending.

I agree.

We're overrating his effort because of the games last year when so little effort was shown.

But in a decent team, the absolute minimum you would expect is a player giving 100%, so that shouldn't mean as much as his lack of genuine talent does.

He has almost as many turnovers as tackles. I think he's shown enough for us to know he won;t be anything more than an effort guy in the forward line. I'd rather rotate players though who might have the potential of being more.

I'm not sure who wrote this rubbish, but they couldn't find a spot for Chayce Jones, McHenry, Seed or SMith in the "Next in" section for our mids? They've got Polholke though!

I'm not sure who wrote this rubbish, but they couldn't find a spot for Chayce Jones, McHenry, Seed or SMith in the "Next in" section for our mids? They've got Polholke though!
Was done by SEN so not worthwhile reading. That starting midfield got smashed last year and the chances of us running with it again are zero percent. Sloane is better on a wing and resting up forward. He is no longer a mid imo similar to Joel Selwood at the Cats who now plays wing and forward. The midfield mix will likely be ROB BCrouch Smith Jones MCrouch Mchenry Milera Gallucci and if you wanted to get creative you could run the likes of Brown Fogarty Laird Doedee through it. We also have O'Connor and Schoenberg in the wings who may push for selection if form warrants. The fact it mentions Atkins and Mackay in that article is laughable. I doubt they even know what players are on our list. Their research would have involved looking up a similar bullshit puff piece from 12 months ago and copying the names mentioned.

Last edited:
Was done by SEN so not worthwhile reading. That starting midfield got smashed last year and the chances of us running with it again are zero percent. Sloane is better on a wing and resting up forward. He is no longer a mid imo similar to Joel Selwood at the Cats who now plays wing and forward. The midfield mix will likely be ROB BCrouch Smith Jones MCrouch Mchenry Milera Gallucci and if you wanted to get creative you could run the likes of Brown Fogarty Laird Doedee through it. We also have O'Connor and Schoenberg in the wings who may push for selection if form warrants. The fact it mentions Atkins and Mackay in that article is laughable. I doubt they even know what players are on our list. Their research would have involved looking up a similar bullshit puff piece from 12 months ago and copying the names mentioned.
Cornes mentioned Polholke as his player at Adelaide to take his game to a new level, so that's probably where his name came from

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just to spice things up a bit, I have selected our best 22 for Round 12;

B: Brown, Hartigan, Butts
HB: Laird, Doedee, Kelly
C: Sloane, Milera, Jones
HF: McHenry, Walker, Lynch
F: McAdam Fogarty, Murphy
R: O’Brien, Mrouch, Smith
I: Sholl, Seedsman, Poholke, Frampton

Are Brad and Talia on holidays?

Where is Talia and B Crouch. Are they injured at the half way point?

Are Brad and Talia on holidays?
As many on Bigfooty would know, the average players unavailable each Round due to injury and suspension is NINE players (refer to AFL annual injury report). The average is lower early in the season and gradually increases.

To more accurately mimic our situation in Round 12 I wrote the name of all 43 players on a slip of paper and randomly drew nine names. My missing players were Brouch, Talia, Gallucci, Himmelberg, Atkins, Knight, Wilson, McAsey and O’Connor..

Not great but it could be worse (e.g. no ROB or injury to another key defender).

Try the exercise yourself (I’m keen to know if it is physically impossible for Bran Nue Mackai ‘s name to be drawn).

It also shows
1) How vulnerable we are to even an average run with injuries
2) We will be playing KIDS whether we like it or not.

As many on Bigfooty would know, the average players unavailable each Round due to injury and suspension is NINE players (refer to AFL annual injury report). The average is lower early in the season and gradually increases.

To more accurately mimic our situation in Round 12 I wrote the name of all 43 players on a slip of paper and randomly drew nine names. My missing players were Brouch, Talia, Gallucci, Himmelberg, Atkins, Knight, Wilson, McAsey and O’Connor..

Not great but it could be worse (e.g. no ROB or injury to another key defender).

Try the exercise yourself (I’m keen to know if it is physically impossible for Bran Nue Mackai ‘s name to be drawn).

It also shows
1) How vulnerable we are to even an average run with injuries
2) We will be playing KIDS whether we like it or not.
You could have explained what you were doing.

I know we are vulnerable to a run of injuries. That’s what I’ve been saying as due to the turnover we lack the depth. It doesn’t mean the kids won’t be good long term, it’s just there’s little AFL exposure due to Dons ridiculous selections

I can’t recall any Bigfooty champions predicting that Rory Laird would be a future All Australian.

Perhaps Smurph‘s decline started in Round 23 last year, perhaps he will improve and have a Puopolo career, perhaps he will get better and better and be an All Australian, doubtful but it will not be due to a lack of effort.

I have no doubt that if MacAdam had Murphy’s work ethic he would be a very good AFL player. He and Stengle might storm past Murphy this year but their output in the Twos hardly makes this a certainty.

Sadly I highly doubt if either of theses lads will play anymore than a handful of AFL games over their careers - and yes the key ingredient is work ethic. Both are highly talented but aren't as desperate to make it as Smurph and therefore are content to cruise, which doesn't cut it at AFL level.

Hmm, 5 teams going up the ladder but only 3 falling 🤔
Yep, that'll work. Off to print we go

It's possible. It just means the three fall more spots on average than the five teams rising. For example, if the three teams ranked 9th, 10th and 11th last year all dropped to 16/17/18, if the others teams held their relative ranking, the bottom 7 teams would all go up three spots.

Sadly I highly doubt if either of theses lads will play anymore than a handful of AFL games over their careers - and yes the key ingredient is work ethic. Both are highly talented but aren't as desperate to make it as Smurph and therefore are content to cruise, which doesn't cut it at AFL level.
Yeah those that cruise will never make it like A Jars and D Jars and Swannie

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah those that cruise will never make it like A Jars and D Jars and Swannie

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah who would have thought back in the day when guys had a ciggie at half time that AFL would become a fully professional sport??? Two of your three examples are from over twenty years ago - and Swanny and the Jarmans were freaks not just talented.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back