Prediction Round 1 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Not cooked but missed almost all last season with leg injuries. Injured back in preseason so set back but near to back training with the full group

Yeah I wouldn't expect him to be in calculations until round 5 or later.

Didn't see the intraclub (if you're referring to that as our other pre season game) but in the Essendon game didn't do a lot, even saw him down at full back late in the game which was interesting. Our success (or lack thereof) this year will hinge on his ability to kick at least 40 goals IMO. For him to be able to do that we'll need others at their best (White, Elliott, Fasolo and even Cox) to divert attention away from him.

Agree we need someone or hopefully 2 to step up and become 40 goal a year forwards. Almost all finals sides have that.

Still its a bit of an ask for Darcy. He is still young and with exceptions most KPFs take a number of seasons to reach that level. Fas is our best bet this year followed by Elliott depending on how well he comes back. For mine Cloke is the most likely forward from our 2016 list to kick more than 40 but that will be with the Dogs. We are missing a good mature KPF.

Agree we need someone or hopefully 2 to step up and become 40 goal a year forwards. Almost all finals sides have that.

If Fasolo and Elliott are fit, they're thereabouts. Fas in 2016: 2.08 goals a game, 46 goals if across 22 games. Jamie in 2015: 1.94 goals a game, 43 goals if across 22.

Still its a bit of an ask for Darcy. He is still young and with exceptions most KPFs take a number of seasons to reach that level. Fas is our best bet this year followed by Elliott depending on how well he comes back. For mine Cloke is the most likely forward from our 2016 list to kick more than 40 but that will be with the Dogs. We are missing a good mature KPF.

Yeah, depending on how the selectors go you'd want Cox or White to be chipping in with 30+ too. Fas, Jamie and Darcy haven't played a lot together - around half a dozen games.

The last two games they played together (end of 2015) yielded a total of 93 disposals, 30 marks and 11 goals, and Fas and Moore have improved since then. Elliott's the big unknown however. Cloke didn't play in either game.

Ramsay Dunn Howe
Maynard Keefe Smith
Crisp Pendles Treloar
Grundy Wells Adams
Sidey Moore Fasolo
Elliott Reid Mayne

Cox Varcoe White Phillips

don't know where this belongs , but did anyone else notice Darcy Moore didn't appear his usual enthusiastic self in the 2 preseason games. Negligible production but appears to neing out of the square which I think will hurt his development. could be my imagination but perhaps he unhappy with his role in gameplan?
All the players who are virtually guaranteed a best 22 spot are going through the motions and trying to avoid getting injured. That's why you see so many no names do well and have no impact on the real season eg. Gault... players like Phillips and smith are fighting for a round one spot that's why they try so hard.

B: Ramsay Dunn Maynard

HB: Howe Reid Smith

C: Sidebottom Adams Varcoe

HF: Fasalo White Wells

F: Elliot Moore Mayne

FOL: Grundy Pendlebury Treloar

Bench: Cox Hoskin-elliot Phillips Crisp

I like the flexibility in this side.

Wells/Hoskin-Elliot/Fasalo can play forward/midfield
Smith/Varcoe/Phillips/Crisp/Adams Can play Back/midfield

Cox and White can chop out Grundy

i'd expect Keefe/Sharenberg/Langdon to be pushing for spots

Playing the Bulldogs this is how i would go

FB-Maynard-Dunn-Ramsay
HB- Howe-Reid-Varcoe
C-Adams-Treloar-Sidebottom
HF-WHE-Moore-Fasolo
FF- Elliot-Cox-Mayne
FOL- Grundy-Pendles-Wells

INT- DeGoey-Crisp-Aish-Smith
Emg- Greenwood, Blair, Phillips

If wells isn't available Greenwood in.

I have faith in Cox and feel with Elliot, Fasolo, WHE, Mayne we have the smalls/meduims to compliment him. Its a risky move yes but feel As long as he provides a contest in the air we can clean the mess up on the ground. I feel like we have quite a potent forward line with some real x factor.

Howe and Varcoe off the Half back which is such an important position. Both very experienced players and good ball users. Howes intercept Marking is great and Varcoe provides some run.

FB-Maynard-Dunn-Ramsay
HB- Howe-Reid-Varcoe
HF-WHE-Moore-Fasolo
FF- Elliot-Cox-Mayne

If wells isn't available Greenwood in.

I have faith in Cox and feel with Elliot, Fasolo, WHE, Mayne we have the smalls/meduims to compliment him. Its a risky move yes but feel As long as he provides a contest in the air we can clean the mess up on the ground. I feel like we have quite a potent forward line with some real x factor.

Howe and Varcoe off the Half back which is such an important position. Both very experienced players and good ball users. Howes intercept Marking is great and Varcoe provides some run.
Ten57
Like the side but what about white
Did his role very well last year
And pre season good
I like Cox and would be happy to carry them on same side
Puts maybe at risk but given dollars spent he is in the team
Wish the unlucky one to make way

Ten57
Like the side but what about white
Did his role very well last year
And pre season good
I like Cox and would be happy to carry them on same side
Puts maybe at risk but given dollars spent he is in the team
Wish the unlucky one to make way
Just dont know if Cox, Moore and White can fit in the same team.

I went Cox because i sort of know what white is capable of. While he wasn't bad i think Cox has massive potential i wouldn't mind seeing develop this year. Either way i think we have good depth this year and a real fight for spots.

Id give White a go first up and tell him he has Cox on his heels vying for his spot. If he doesnt produce then he is back to the 2s. Feel like White needs pressure plus a job given to him ( i know it could be simple and say kick goals! hah) but more so a job of drawing out his defender away from our other dangerous forwards. Feel like he would work better to a couple of simple instructions , dont over complicate. Could go really old school , see ball get ball

FB-Maynard-Dunn-Ramsay
HB- Howe-Reid-Varcoe
HF-WHE-Moore-Fasolo
FF- Elliot-Cox-Mayne

And if Clokey gets a hold of Dunn early on (he's gonna monster him)....who then on the big fella? Ben Reid? or ?????

How many spare key position backs should I name robroy22 to look after a bloke who spent a large part of last season in the VFL?

When's the last time Cloke played a good game without a banned glove. He kicked more than 2 goals once last year and 4 times the year before.... Regardless who else to we have to Play on him?

Dunn has a pretty reasonable record on Cloke?

It's a hard one, definitely think playing 3 key backs is too hard. The only way I can see it happening is if White is selected as a swing-man of sorts in which case Cox probably plays as the second ruck/tall forward.

Would rather back in Dunn and Reid personally.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many spare key position backs should I name robroy22 to look after a bloke who spent a large part of last season in the VFL?

When's the last time Cloke played a good game without a banned glove. He kicked more than 2 goals once last year and 4 times the year before.... Regardless who else to we have to Play on him?

I think Keeffe will play

Whats happened to Langdon - he was really coming on before an ankle injury last year?

Is he cooked?
I think he's injured right now but he's fairly one dimensional anyways.

Schade was a cut above Keeffe against Essendon first up. Don't rule him out for a debut.
Schade is a chance, will need to put in an impressive game next up but you would think with the elevation of Keeffe still has him in front. Cox needs to be elevated IMHO to cover Grundy in the event pulling up sore one week. Not sure if Sinc's injury is possibly long term but may help Schade out.

Schade is a chance, will need to put in an impressive game next up but you would think with the elevation of Keeffe still has him in front. Cox needs to be elevated IMHO to cover Grundy in the event pulling up sore one week. Not sure if Sinc's injury is possibly long term but may help Schade out.

Are we in the position to promote one rookie straight away and then one half way through the year ?

Feels like we need both cox and schade for depth in positions we are short on

Are we in the position to promote one rookie straight away and then one half way through the year ?

Feels like we need both cox and schade for depth in positions we are short on

We can promote two immediately and put Sinclair on LTI list if we want to. No rush though, two more games yet before the season actually starts.

I highly doubt Keeffe or Scharenberg will play in Rd1. Too many question marks. Why not get a good look at both of them in the VFL for a few weeks?

Assuming Wells and Elliott are fit, then I expect to see:

FB: Ramsay - Dunn - Maynard
HB: Howe - Reid - Varcoe
C: Wells - Treloar - Sidebottom
HF: Fasolo - White - Hoskin-Elliott
FF: Mayne - Moore - Elliott
R: Grundy - Pendles - Adams
INT: Crisp - DeGoey - Greenwood - Smith

Emerg: Blair - Aish - Phillips

I think that's a quality, mobile & balanced team. And they can all kick!

I highly doubt Keeffe or Scharenberg will play in Rd1. Too many question marks. Why not get a good look at both of them in the VFL for a few weeks?

It's good looking team on paper but whether they play well and exercute a decent game plan is biggest question.

I agree with that. Scharenberg in particular looked well off the pace vs Ess.

Good side - almost exactly what I would pick

This is a good balanced side . I would swap Aish and Phillips For Greenwood and Smith ,nice problem to have though

Remove this Banner Ad

Back