AFLW Round 1 Discussion - 2020 AFLW season

Remove this Banner Ad

Even though I tipped Brisbane to win, they played better than I expected. Somewhat reminiscent of last year's early form (gutsy win over GWS, smashed the Dogs, lost a free-flowing game to Freo that held up decently) which is kinda hard to remember because they completely fell apart from Round 5 onwards.

But it shouldn't be easy to forget the Lions' top-end class that can (and did today) do two or three-times more damage than the other team's best players with half or a third of the touches. And that's why--not sure if I mentioned it already--I'm glad I tipped them to win!

Now, here are some facts to add to the discussion from the last few pages.

AFLW scoring by size of grounds (2017-2019)
  • Biggest grounds (Traeger Park, South Pine, York Park, Olympic Park, Blacktown ISP, Moreton Bay, Perth Stadium, Subiaco Oval, Casey Fields, Manuka Oval, Fremantle Oval, Carrara Stadium*): 72 points per game
  • Medium grounds (Docklands Stadium, Marrara Oval, Rushton Park, Adelaide Oval, Thebarton Oval, Princes Park, Ted Summerton Reserve): 69 points per game
  • Smallest grounds (Hickey Park, Morwell Rec Reserve, Whitten Oval, Kardinia Park, Chirnside Park, Unley Oval, Norwood Oval, Drummoyne Oval, North Hobart Oval): 67 points per game
*arguably medium-sized, averages 64 ppg (from a sample size of one)

AFLW scoring by year
2017: 66 points per game
2018: 70 points per game
2019: 73 points per game

AFLW scoring by round (2017-2019)
yyPointsPerMatch.png

So in 4-5 years time go full size ground but for now and as a spectacle reduce the ground dimensions.

Sent from my Mi MIX 3 5G using Tapatalk
How? Most womens football is played at clubs with mens teams, and on the same ovals as men use, during winter.

As it makes no sense to have all grades of womens footy played on standard ovals, but the top level played on a different size, you would need to adjust the size of the grounds all grades use.

How is this logistically possible?

jatz14 what do you think the effect of 16 players has had on gameplay?
I think its made transition of the ball harder. Your getting the same numbers sucked to the ball, so the shortfall is players outside the contest. Reality is, I dont think it has had much affect on congestion at all, so its hard to see the point of keeping it.

Is the trolling a big issue?
Am a fair way away from it over here, haven’t seen it much but am not that active on social media.
Think it’s not much help to just say it’s not a patch on men’s footy, it’s at a different stage of its development and the comparison is flawed.
The expansion dilutes the poll short term, but it opens up the pathway to more promising juniors sooner.
If people don’t like it as a spectacle, they don’t have to watch it.
Constructive suggestions seem fair enough, though and some AFLW advocates have a siege mentality and divide the world up into ‘allies’ and ‘enemies’, which I don’t really get.
You can be pro-AFLW and still think about things which could be trialed, work better etc.

Promised myself I wouldn't bother with the comp this year and here I am again having watched two games. Something compelling about it. Not having a team to get behind it makes it difficult. Good to see the Lions though get up as they seem to have lost a lot of players through expansion. Shame as the sport as a whole needs to constantly stay relevant in Brisbane. Will watch at least until the mens pre season starts. Hope it can continue to grow and one day see some profits come in that the players can enjoy the spoils of.

Does anyone who criticises the AFLW have any idea, whatsoever, the massive effect it’s having at a junior & youth level?? Any idea at all? Can’t see past their own nose.

One effect it’s having at a Junior level is that there are not enough grounds. Pre season training for junior clubs is being effected for the girls and the boys. Pretty standard stuff from the AFL. Create a product that they make plenty off, then not invests in infrastructure at the grassroots level, which is the main reason they have business in the first place.

When most of the girls have spent their whole junior sporting careers playing footy like the boys do, only then will it improve as a spectacle. We’re only really about 3-4 years away from that.

One effect it’s having at a Junior level is that there are not enough grounds. Pre season training for junior clubs is being effected for the girls and the boys.

I would agree in some respects, having been involved heavily at girls Jnr level for 3 going on 4 yrs now.

The clubs have to manage the influx and make sure proper committees are in place to ensure all receive the best attention possible. Over here in WA the clubs at both amateur and WAFL level have put in many hours to see this happen.

Growth is key here and whilst it may be a little bit too fast for some, it is far better than no/slow growth.

I have three very minor but positive observations before moving on to today's games:
  • The AFL(W) Record's Season Guide is much more substantial this year--maybe it's just because there's extra teams and historical stats to include now, in any case a good job done there.
  • Didn't notice it last year but Hickey Park is a beautiful ground and the turnout of 3k people (despite bad weather and a poor 2019 for Brisbane followed by a worse pre-season) was very encouraging.
  • Regarding a post earlier in the thread, just tried and can confirm the full quarter-by-quarter replays on the AFLW website can be cast from your device to TV again. Also, the thumbnails for the match highlight videos this year are cool:
yyHighlightThumbnails.PNG

Promised myself I wouldn't bother with the comp this year and here I am again having watched two games. Something compelling about it. Not having a team to get behind it makes it difficult. Good to see the Lions though get up as they seem to have lost a lot of players through expansion. Shame as the sport as a whole needs to constantly stay relevant in Brisbane. Will watch at least until the mens pre season starts. Hope it can continue to grow and one day see some profits come in that the players can enjoy the spoils of.
Do you have a favourite player, anybody caught your eye?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Am a fair way away from it over here, haven’t seen it much but am not that active on social media.
Think it’s not much help to just say it’s not a patch on men’s footy, it’s at a different stage of its development and the comparison is flawed.
The expansion dilutes the poll short term, but it opens up the pathway to more promising juniors sooner.
Constructive suggestions seem fair enough, though and some AFLW advocates have a siege mentality and divide the world up into ‘allies’ and ‘enemies’, which I don’t really get.
You can be pro-AFLW and still think about things which could be trialed, work better etc.
Most of the criticism is not criticism, it's of the Make me a sandwich, would lose to 13 year olds, funny looking kitchen, witticisms of some of Australia's great comedic minds.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yes, you get it (I think). The AFL has huge gate takings and tv rights, so they can pay full time wages to the AFLW.

I worked in a division of a large not for profit corporation. We eventually got sold of, because our division didnt make any money. We still got paid though.

We should all hope corporations dont get wind of this. Imagine if they all said, anyone working for a part of the company not making money doesn't get paid.

If the AFL isn't comfortable paying AFLW players if the AFLW isnt making money, get rid of it.
No they can’t. Even if you pay 30 players $50k each, over 14 teams that’s $20m a season in just player wages. The AFL is already pumping several million a year into the league.

Needs to pay its own way to some extent and that means paid entry first.

Well, trolling isn't a big issue to me, but I'm not the target of it. The current product (which I love) is not the real point of the AFLW. "That" photo of Georgie Rankin is the real point. If trolling helps deflate the enthusiasm for the sport, and self worth and hope for the future that this photo helps capture (and I would say some, not all, of the trolling is deliberately designed to do just that), then I think it is an issue.

But I agree with you that a straight comparison between men and women's footy is flawed and not helpful, and expansion is more about the end goal than the current spectacle (mind you, tell that to fans of clubs without an AFLW team, some of them may want to get in on it now, even if it further spreads the elite talent).

I agree that constructive criticism is good. People here are discussing things like smaller grounds, fewer/more players, zones, and reducing 50 m penalties. Even if you don't agree with some of those suggestions, they are being made as suggestions to improve the product. As I love the product I do have to be careful not to dismiss such suggestions as an attack on something I love, which like all things, can be improved upon.

I'm just wary that people are being dismissive of women's footy, which to me is being dismissive of part of the future of our daughters (and our sons).

I agree the AFLW does need to pay its own way to some extent. But that doesn’t mean paid entry. That’s VFL or VFA thinking.Paid entry doesn’t pay the way of the men’s competition. TV rights and sponsors pay more of that.
The clubs are receiving sponsors for their women’s teams so the men’s income doesn’t have to subsidise the women’s.

AFLW is paying its way. It is increasing the number of people playing the best sport in the world. It is encouraging a footy culture among people in non-footy states. It’s a long game, but even so, AFLW is already providing dividends.

I agree the AFLW does need to pay its own way to some extent. But that doesn’t mean paid entry. That’s VFL or VFA thinking.Paid entry doesn’t pay the way of the men’s competition. TV rights and sponsors pay more of that.
The clubs are receiving sponsors for their women’s teams so the men’s income doesn’t have to subsidise the women’s.

AFLW is paying its way. It is increasing the number of people playing the best sport in the world. It is encouraging a footy culture among people in non-footy states. It’s a long game, but even so, AFLW is already providing dividends.
I agree paying its way at the moment to some extent but not enough to go fully pro at this early stage.

I agree paying its way at the moment to some extent but not enough to go fully pro at this early stage.
Not yet.

Probably in 6-10 yrs, around the 2nd or 3rd CBA from this one just signed.

No they can’t. Even if you pay 30 players $50k each, over 14 teams that’s $20m a season in just player wages. The AFL is already pumping several million a year into the league.

Thats not really right. The aim is that the AFL do not pay the wages ultimately, the clubs do. So 14 clubs (plus the AFL) between them need to find that $20m a season. A club like the Eagles with big entrenched sponsors that are already onboard the womens team (and something like 3000 paid members), already have their part of that covered, and if they dont, they are comfortably good with the shortfall.

Its even a plus, as what else are the Eagles going to do with their money?

I would think Collingwood, Carlton, Richmond, perhaps Melbourne are in a similar boat. They could pay for it right now.

AFL is known to have several million dollars in sponsorship already, add in individual club sponsorship and members for AFLW, and I think I recall they now get a bit for the broadcast

So, I think the industry as a whole would have a chunk of that $20 mill covered.

The issue would be that not all clubs would have it covered, and as an Eagles fan, I would be comfortable seeing the Gold Coast, GWS etc getting extra AFLW money funnelled to them, and the Eagles not getting any (they dont need it).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back