Preview Round 10 - Carlton v St Kilda, Sunday 26 May 2019, 3.20pm @ Marvel Stadium - Final Team - Post #828

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead serious mate. I dont buy into this doom and gloom.

That is a ridiculous premise on the last line of your post.
And what exactly is a supporter like me?

A supporter like you is the kind of supporter that refuses to put the heat on their club and instead wants to put it on the media or anyone else pointing out the obvious.

We are a 1-8 team this year, after a 2-20 team last year, of course every week we continue to lose the heat goes up on the coach.. so expecting the media to not play on the extremely obvious angle is wanting to blame everyone but our own club.

A win against St Kilda featuring come back into form performances from Charlie/SPS in particular would be exactly what the Club and supporters would like to see. i don't think St Kilda have the on ball firepower to dominate for 4 quarters and I think we actually have them covered in terms of forward line potency. All eyes on Dow/Fisher and SPS to justify their starting on ball status after 2/3 shockers.

Would like to see Setterfield/Plowman/Stocker and Kennedy make the final cut on the bench for obvious reasons - to me anyway.

A supporter like you is the kind of supporter that refuses to put the heat on their club and instead wants to put it on the media or anyone else pointing out the obvious.

We are a 1-8 team this year, after a 2-20 team last year, of course every week we continue to lose the heat goes up on the coach.. so expecting the media to not play on the extremely obvious angle is wanting to blame everyone but our own club.

Can we get a medic over here please. Stat

This is a stupid question but something I’ve not really thought about.
We’ve nominated two outs but a lot of posters are suggesting there could be a possible four changes. I understand that we have named an extended bench allowing us more players to choose from but can we still drop more than the nominated two when it comes time to final team selection?

Yeah really surprised that Buckley and Hardwick weren't sacked on the back of the media recommendations

I never said anyone should do anything on the back of media recommendations, that’s an angle you are bringing up but I certainly never suggested it.

Sometimes media can be good and sometimes media can be crap.

But before we start blaming media for feeding off the ammunition we give them, let’s sort out our own house on we no longer give the media anymore ammunition.

Is that right. Well you are making very broad and wrong assumptions my friend.

As to the media I dont care at all. I rarely read a paper and dont watch the box except to view the games when I cant be there at the ground. I keep my own vigil and I see what the club are doing. Naturally I dont like the waiting but it is what it is and no amount of angry words here is going to make one iota of difference.

I’m always amazed at the power I have over the club. Yet I never get invited to any meetings

Lol, yet you seem to always have such awesome insight into what the plan for the rebuild was and is, and how the club was always expecting a year like the one we are having (that’s sarcasm just in case you didnt know)

I never said anyone should do anything on the back of media recommendations, that’s an angle you are bringing up but I certainly never suggested it.

Sometimes media can be good and sometimes media can be crap.

But before we start blaming media for feeding off the ammunition we give them, let’s sort out our own house on we no longer give the media anymore ammunition.

It is never as good or as bad as they portrait. The media love the sycophants

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A win against St Kilda featuring come back into form performances from Charlie/SPS in particular would be exactly what the Club and supporters would like to see. i don't think St Kilda have the on ball firepower to dominate for 4 quarters and I think we actually have them covered in terms of forward line potency. All eyes on Dow/Fisher and SPS to justify their starting on ball status after 2/3 shockers.

Would like to see Setterfield/Plowman/Stocker and Kennedy make the final cut on the bench for obvious reasons - to me anyway.

Why would the Saints on ball fire power need to dominate for 4 quarters to beat us?

2 of the last 3 performances have been absolutely dreadful. That is not a team that demands the opposition have their on ball firepower dominate for 4 quarters.

The Saints touched us up last year and they are better this year while we are slowly going back to the crap we produced in 2018.

All I'm trying to say is, don't be surprised if the Saints knock us off comfortably this week...

As to the media I dont care at all. I rarely read a paper and dont watch the box except to view the games when I cant be there at the ground. I keep my own vigil and I see what the club are doing. Naturally I dont like the waiting but it is what it is and no amount of angry words here is going to make one iota of difference.

And thats the real reason why supporters like you have an issue with the media pointing out the extremely obvious.

As you said, no amount of angry words on here make one iota of difference, but obviously the media hold more sway and god forbid enough pressure be applied to Bolton that the club eventually sees fit to act and remove him.

If I want the media to report one our success one day, I sure as hell have to accept their critiques when we deserve them tooo

Exactly we have won something like one in ten games from our last 40 starts. Of course we are under the pump from the media, periods of teams being that poor are extremely rare in AFL football. If those results were reversed we would all be expecting to media to be talking us up as one of the great sides and we would be wanting them to talk up our coaches/players ect. They are doing what they are supposed to do and just adding abit of theatre to it to get an emotional rise which they are clearly getting.
If our board are too piss weak to stand by what they truly believe than that’s on them and no one else.

I haven't a dog in this fight but if you rarely read a paper and don't watch the box, how are you able to make such a scathing assessment of the media, and (whether you like him or not) a Carlton legend like McClure?

This guy is hurting bad about the way the club is performing even if you don't agree with him.

It is never as good or as bad as they portrait. The media love the sycophants

For the first time I agree with you, like you said the media can many ones take it to the extreme.

But I definitely find myself absorbing as much footy related media as I can after a win so I can hear or read the praise, which means they are also entitled to critique when we deserve it also.

Honestly not sure how much weight to put on the good/poor matchup angle these days. There were similar comments made before the Bulldogs game -- their small forwards were going to tear us apart etc -- but it didn't turn out that way. I tend to think the argument in favour of the other side (whoever that is) basically comes down to what you said at the end: if we let them play their preferred game, they'll win. But if we can play our preferred game...
I've written rather a lot about the Saints over the last few years, describing how their gameplan is/was a hard counter to ours. Calling their team a bad matchup for ours was my shorthand for that; over the past few years, our gameplan played well still fed into theirs, so it was less a matter of if the dam burst but when.

If their gameplan has changed, as ftherest has indicated, it could help us substantially, but I don't have my hopes up.

For the first time I agree with you, like you said the media can many ones take it to the extreme.

But I definitely find myself absorbing as much footy related media as I can after a win so I can hear or read the praise, which means they are also entitled to critique when we deserve it also.

As a general rule, I don't care what the media has to say, through the highs and lows

It will be like clockwork when we start to rise, all of the doomsayers that are saying this rebuild is a fail, will backtrack

Why would the Saints on ball fire power need to dominate for 4 quarters to beat us?

2 of the last 3 performances have been absolutely dreadful. That is not a team that demands the opposition have their on ball firepower dominate for 4 quarters.

The Saints touched us up last year and they are better this year while we are slowly going back to the crap we produced in 2018.

All I'm trying to say is, don't be surprised if the Saints knock us off comfortably this week...

Well I didn't say that they need to dominate for 4 quarters to beat us - but anyway the necessary ingredients for a win (IMHO) are:
1. Charlie and SPS lifting would help a lot and that
2. Dow/SPS and Fisher have a bit to prove as far as being the #1 on ball brigade and that
3. I hope ( as backup) all of Setterfield/Stocker/Kennedy and Plowman are the IC choices - but I must admit I forgot about Cuningham so scratch Setterfield if given my choices.

I don't think anyone who has posted on this forum has disputed the fact that the performance or lack of against GWS was totally unacceptable - especially following a great performance against Collingwood after a ( predictable to me based on selections) loss to Norfs.

I rate St Kilda as easier opponents than all of Norfs /Collingwood and GWS- I think Bolton can possibly get a win despite his continued preference for a weak of body on ball structure. - so I would very much be surprised if St Kilda won 'comfortably' tbh - and my reaction to another bad loss would depend on the match-ups Bolton decided to play in the center square - again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back