Round 10: Geelong @ Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

gocats

Club Legend
Jan 13, 2003
Other Teams
GEELONG
Port at AAMI

Our record at AAMI is shocking and the Tigers got smashed, but can we beat Port this weekend?

They boys were unreal against the Bombers, but what will it take for us to beat the Power in Adelaide.

Sticky'd as the official match thread. :)

I think with the amount of momentum the guys have going for them at the moment, a win is a very do-able proposition.

In fact, as the mental preparation has been quite important in carrying over from the past several weeks, Mark Thompson had some quotes of note in the Melbourne papers on Sunday, especially about wanting to see his team go in with the attitude of being interstate winners and not just good battlers and moral victors (or words along those lines).

I think they can do it... Cats by 21 points.

I think we're a chance. We usually do quite well interstate, despite rarely coming back with the points. It's been a while since we've been smashed interstate and with the confidence and determintaion they are playing with at the moment, it might just be the difference in getting that extra 2 or 3 goals that we usually fall short by.

Really looking forward to this on. It'll be on free to air won't it?

Tredrea has been playing like a machine, only had the one bad game against the Roos in my mind.

Last year he was kept to 2 when we had that great victory, will be a huge effort if Scarlett/Harley keeps him quiet.

Having said that, I don't think shutting Tredrea down will give us the win (mind you I was in the same mind of Lloyd/Bombers :))

Possible Ins/Outs?

Monica looks out with injury, maybe Tenace rested?

Also did Mackie & Moloney get much game time?
As they seemed to have very little influence.

Looks like there are a few in the VFL putting their hands up, I’ve got my fingers crossed on Loats coming in. :)

Originally posted by benny's buddy
It'll be on free to air won't it?

Hate to say it, but I think 9 are showing brisbane v melbourne.

Glad I've got fox footy, but I feel for all those cats fans who don't.

Originally posted by mung
Possible Ins/Outs?

Also did Mackie & Moloney get much game time?
As they seemed to have very little influence.

Looks like there are a few in the VFL putting their hands up, I’ve got my fingers crossed on Loats coming in. :)

Monica looks the only certainty to go out. Someone around here also said Tenace rolled his ankle (JUBJUB?).

Would persist with Mackie and Moloney. The two have shown enough thus far to suggest that one quiet game does not warrant their ommision. That being said, I would be all for keeping Tenace in as well if he hadn't rolled his ankle.

Regarding Mackie, the fact that Port's defense doesn't contain too many capable talls looms as a chance to play our tall forwards such as he, and stretch their defence.

Originally posted by you_idiot
I think they can do it... Cats by 21 points.

I think Geelong have the ability to beat the depleted Power, but going on recent form at Footy Park and Port Adelaide welcoming back Wangeneen, Montgomery and Pickett - they should be too strong for the Cats... but I wouldn't be suprised if Geelong came almighty close or even won!

My tip: Port by 5

Originally posted by bigsjsmith
I think Geelong have the ability to beat the depleted Power, but going on recent form at Footy Park and Port Adelaide welcoming back Wangeneen, Montgomery and Pickett - they should be too strong for the Cats...

Yet with Peter Burgoyne having been reported, and given his record at the Tribunal last year (going up there twice and missing five games through suspension), that should even things up a bit should be get a ban for this weekend's game.

On the other hand, if Pickett comes back for Port this week, I hope we can get someone to put a body on him. He's as influential as anyone else that they've got, and can beat you in so many ways on his own merits and skills.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I will believe it when I see Wanganeen, Pickett and Montgomery on the field that they are included. At this stage we might even have to promote a rookie to make 22 for Sunday given the fact Burgoyne will be suspended. We will be ripe for the picking if Geelong come at us hard.

Originally posted by Sammy D
Hunt to take Pickett?

Sounds good, though Pickett would be superior to Hunt in aerial contests. I'd like to see Byron try take out a kid like Mackie only for Hunt and Gumby to take Pickett out first with a beautifully timed, mind you legal, sandwich :p

It will be hard for us to get up after such a tough, physical contest with the Bombers.

I'm still pretty confident - Cats by 17.

Possible Ins/Outs?

Here's the latest injury news, from Tuesday's Herald Sun...

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,9651831%5E25498,00.html

GEELONG
Paul Chambers (knee) 1 week
David Wojcinski (hip) available
Brenton Sanderson (knee) test

So Wojcinski's available. Could present a selection dilemma for Thompson, with so many players doing well.

Yet Port Adelaide's injury list (from the same source) is massive-- the depth of their injury list, I knew it was big, but it's still surprising...

PORT ADELAIDE
Josh Carr (broken jaw) 3 weeks
Wade Champion (shoulder) 2-3 weeks
Brett Ebert (shoulder) available
Rob Forster-Knight (hamstring tendonitis) indefinite
Josh Francou (knee) season
Stephen Gilham (groin) indefinite
Chris Hall (hamstring) 2 weeks
Adam Kingsley (knee) 1-2 weeks
Brett Montgomery (back) test
Michael Pettigrew (back) 2-3 weeks
Byron Pickett (shoulder) test
Matthew Primus (knee) season
Steven Salopek (ankle) test
Jarrad Schofield (corked thigh) test
Jacob Surjan (knee) test
Gavin Wanganeen (back) test

Loats wasn't on the injury list for Geelong, so I'd assume he'd be in with a chance. :)

Originally posted by you_idiot
Not confirmed yet, but I would hope so.

All of Fox Footy's Sunday games have been so far, ever since Foxtel introduced their digital package.

thanx for that you_idiot :)

Tredrea has been playing like a machine, only had the one bad game against the Roos in my mind.

Guess who consistently has been the most effective CHB against Tredrea over the last 2-3 years that Tredders has been All Australian? - Scarlett

I believe it will be a very close game because Geelong is a quick, hard running side in form and should Scarlett continue to nullify Tredders, Port will find it bloody difficult to win.

Article from Fox Sports' website, via wire copy from the AAP, tells about Geelong's interstate struggles in recent years, and includes some team news with regard to injuries...

Cats want more than credit -- foxsports.new.com.au (via AAP)

Cats want more than credit
By Mark Hennan
May 26, 2004

GEELONG has come too far this season to put much stock in honourable losses and coach Mark Thompson knows a good effort alone will be worthless for his team this weekend.

Geelong has not won an interstate game since mid-2002 and Thompson has been drilling his in-form team on that poor record as they prepare for Sunday's clash with Port Adelaide at AAMI Stadium.

With injury concerns over in-form ruckman Cameron Mooney, midfielders Joel Corey and Kane Tenace and dashing backman David Wojcinski, the task of beating the Power is even more daunting.

"It is going to be a big game, our record really interstate has not been good " Thompson said today.

"The real challenge is not only to play well, but to try and win a game and bring some points home, that's the real challenge this week."

Despite the Cats' narrow loss to Sydney in round three at the SCG, and some impressive signs against Fremantle at Subiaco in round five, Geelong has lost its past six road trips.

But having ended six-game winning streaks by Melbourne and Essendon over the past two games the Cats could be on a roll.

"This (game) looms as a really good test and challenge, and if we play well and win, it is very significant," Thompson said.

"Three big games in three weeks, it is a real test to see whether we can stay up there, and just keeping meeting the challenges ahead.

"Make no mistake, Port Adelaide is a big challenge."

Following last Saturday night's 23-point victory over the highly fancied Bombers at Telstra Dome, Thompson today said there was some doubt remaining over whether Tenace, Corey, Mooney and Wojcinski would line up this weekend.

"We have a few guys in doubt, those three or four guys have just got to get themselves right by Friday, but in general, they have pulled up pretty well," Thompson said.

Defender Brenton Sanderson, who is recovering from a knee injury, was expected to miss this weekend's clash.

"We will probably find out on Friday, at this stage he probably won't come back in."

Thompson has a rare and enjoyable depth of talent to choose from this week should any of his first-choice team fail to come up.

"Spriggs, Loats, Steve Johnson, and Bartel are the guys who have been in fantastic form in the reserves, if those other boys don't came up, then they're the next ones in line."

If we win that will be 3 top 4 sides in 3 weeks.

Even Walls will have to rate us then.

- Oh hang on, he only rates sides that beat st. kilda or brisbane at home, so we are still screwed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back