Preview Round 15, 2022: Sydney v St.Kilda - SCG, Saturday 25th June, 7:25PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Swans

Votes: 34 57.6%
  • Saints

Votes: 25 42.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the club made a decision to look after paddy’s health. I could never blame the club for that.

You are putting words in my mouth.

Did I say blame... I just said there was a few players who used to play for us and we would get to see them tomorrow night.

Ratts should ban mids running out of the centre and kicking across their bodies into the forward half- it is a recipe for turnovers and gives the forwards no chance.
They can get tackled instead. What you described happens because of pressure from the opposition mostly. Steele back helps with quality centre clearances.

Butler this year is no better than Lonie. Good defensive endeavour, but impotent. And no goal scoring threat whatsoever.

Lonie got delisted...

A small forward should be right at the top of our off-season priority list.
We are missing Higgins early form. If Higgins was in that form then Butler would be ok supplying pressure. I still think priority has to be a very classy mid forward. Degoey springs to mind.

Kicking to King in 3 on 1s, etc I think gives teams a lot of easy rebound. We either need to minimise that or make sure we have a small forward near enough to impact when we do it. It seems we often do that and if Max can't pull in the mark, the oppo can walk it out fairly easily
Butler and Long need to be doing that.

King welcomes body contact and brings the ball to ground to bring the small forwards into the game, (Sharman not so much), as such a small forward will chose to be FAC on Kingy over Sharman so they are a chance to come into the play. Sharman "finding space" turns it into a one V one contest and I don't think Sharman has the confidence of his midfielfers yet unless he has found said space without it being a contested situation because if he loses the contest all forwards are over covering Kingy...that's where the turnover happens and all the forwards get practice running up to the oppos F50.

Sharman can mark and kick for goal, that's two tricks, he's been at VFL level to learn other tricks. We get to see if he's learnt the the defensive side of the game against the Swans.
So your saying Sharman doesn’t take contested marks ?
4 games last year for 10 goals and 19 marks many were contested also you said he has is only a one trick pony but many past great forwards were saying how well he reads the play how well he leads to the right spots he is natural forward and footballer, he is much more then a one trick pony

You said Sharman offers zero pressure and that’s not correct. We’re you at the game last week ? Did you see how Kings man continually ran off him and how King didn’t bother chasing the body contact is irrelevant to his defensive work rate which he is rated below average in

Anyhow I’m happy that Sharman is getting a go and happy to concentrate on what a 6 gamer does well instead of trying to find reasons he shouldn’t get a game, coaches think he should be in and I agree

Last edited:
4 games last year for 10 goals and 19 marks many were contested also you said he has is only a one trick pony but many past great forwards were saying how well he reads how well he leads to the right spots he is natural forward and footballer, he is much more then a one trick pony

You said Sharman offers zero pressure and that’s not correct. We’re you at the game last week ? Did you see how Kings man continually ran off him and how King didn’t bother chasing the body contact is irrelevant to his defensive work rate which he is rated below average in

Anyhow I’m happy that Sharman is getting a go and happy to concentrate on what a 6 gamer does well instead of trying to find reasons he shouldn’t get game, coaches think he should be in and I agree
King's lack of chase last week infuriated me watching at the ground.

King's lack of chase last week infuriated me watching at the ground.
It was so poor a couple times he took a few steps stopped put his hands on his hips and sooked it up
100% it was hard to watch

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just out of interest how many posters have coached Senior football at any level.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Probably wouldn't be many former senior coaches hanging out of forums, though I know of one. Through family ties, I used to spend a lot of time talking about footy to an AFL captain at the time of a team not in Melbourne, my dear old departed dad played some games for Essendon and Carlton twos a very very long time ago, and knew a couple of people involved at the Saints back in the '60s and that's why I started following the Saints. My sister went out with a Collingwood player for a little while- again, a very long time ago. But I'm getting off the subject...Max and Coops to kick 5 each against the Swans.

4 games last year for 10 goals and 19 marks many were contested also you said he has is only a one trick pony but many past great forwards were saying how well he reads the play how well he leads to the right spots he is natural forward and footballer, he is much more then a one trick pony

Anyhow I’m happy that Sharman is getting a go and happy to concentrate on what a 6 gamer does well instead of trying to find reasons he shouldn’t get a game, coaches think he should be in and I agree
I think some supporters are anchored to the legend created in Sharman's first few games last year. I think the issue has been how he went in his 3 games this year, 2 of which were against teams fighting for the spoon which is why he hasn't played since the North game. His running patterns might have looked awesome in those game but he's only gone at 0.8 goals in 22 and as I say, 2 of those games were against Crows and North and defensively he was poor and I don't think he helped out much with contested marks that he either clunked or bought the ball to ground. He gets another chance this week to demonstrate what he's learnt at VFL level. I hope he nails it because our forward line could use all the help it can get.

IImn
Yeah that's why i asked

Sharman is one goal a game (one goal in each game too) in 2022 - don't include games where he was unused sub. It's not fair.
Ok one goal a game and not much else in 2022. That's why he's played mostly at Sandy. Locking it into out F50 is a big issue and as rightly pointed out even King has had an issue with his defensive game. "Finding space" is fantastic if you have a full compliment of tricks in your bag otherwise it's pointless if the opposition are happy for you to have your one trick but smash you the other way.

IImn

Ok one goal a game and not much else in 2022. That's why he's played mostly at Sandy. Locking it into out F50 is a big issue and as rightly pointed out even King has had an issue with his defensive game. "Finding space" is fantastic if you have a full compliment of tricks in your bag otherwise it's pointless if the opposition are happy for you to have your one trick but smash you the other way.
Pretty sure he was reasonable on Tom Stewart earlier in they year making sure the ball was brought to ground.

We are missing Higgins early form. If Higgins was in that form then Butler would be ok supplying pressure. I still think priority has to be a very classy mid forward. Degoey springs to mind.
Poor guy, has had terribly frustrating year, flying, concussed, misses comes back, looks great Concussed then Covid. Probably needed to get some run in his legs before coming back. Has looked a fair way off the last 2 weeks.

Sharman is one goal a game (one goal in each game too) in 2022 - don't include games where he was unused sub. It's not fair.

Currently Sharman is averaging 123rd in the AFL for 2022, tied with Marshall and a lot of others , kicking 0.8 goals a game.

Paddy, Billings and Kent are averaging 1 a game. 85th in the AFL.

Hayes and Gresham are averaging 1.2. 74th.

Membrey 1.4 . 56th in the AFL

Higgins 1.9 28th in the AFL . ( Same as Heeney and Weightman ).

King on 2.8 is equal 7th.

Oh wait.
The AFL include medi-sub games in their stats , even if the medi-sub doesn't play. (So Sharman's 1 goal per game becomes 0.8 ).
%&$* you AFL .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back