Preview Round 15, 2022: Sydney v St.Kilda - SCG, Saturday 25th June, 7:25PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Swans

Votes: 34 57.6%
  • Saints

Votes: 25 42.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really excellent point. When we were going to recruit him, I watch the whole SNAFL GF, and that is the first thing that stood out, as you say he has excellent craft, knows his game, is totally unselfish and positions himself to get to the drop of the ball. His assists in that game and the games he played for the Saints stood out for me more than his marking and converting up forward.

He really is a rich mans Jason Blake and we really miss him in our team. Great to see him back at training yesterday.
If he half as versatile and has half the career of Blake he has done well. Played every week for many years.

I said tall forwards aren’t outrageously better than ours that’s just wilful ignorance. Our set up I have been whining about for ages.
And I never even mentioned the word outrageously. Not like you to add mayo on top of mayo. Our set up has only been mentioned basically since we had a terrible game. Just like a few other things that haven’t been mentioned since round one.

And I never even mentioned the word outrageously. Not like you to add mayo on top of mayo. Our set up has only been mentioned basically since we had a terrible game. Just like a few other things that haven’t been mentioned since round one.

The forward line has been poor for the last couple of weeks.

Mids have gone back to long bombing to a single tall forward setup with no in-form crumbers.

There's clearly a range of opinions on forward make-up on here. I think Long is our best option as a pressure forward. I hope Butler tears it up tomorrow night.
He was pretty good last week, just needs to stay involved and kick more goals to cement a spot Imo.

F50 pressure is important. Preventing the ball from just rebounding right out for a coast to coast goal by the opposition has got to be helpful. Being able to keep it there for more stoppages adds pressure to the defence and gives more chance of a goal.
Kicking to King in 3 on 1s, etc I think gives teams a lot of easy rebound. We either need to minimise that or make sure we have a small forward near enough to impact when we do it. It seems we often do that and if Max can't pull in the mark, the oppo can walk it out fairly easily

Sharman knows how to find space which hopefully separates their defence and makes it easier for King
I think Higgins was dropped for "finding space", Sharman's defensive game is non existent hence why he has struggled to get a game. We've been really poor at locking it in F50 and getting scored against on the turnover in our front half so Sharman will need to add chasing and tackling to his game if he's going to remain in the side. Finding space is OK if the ball is kicked to you but therein lies another problem for players who's only trick is to find space because if the opposition's defence is covers the space finding type player then you are effective down one forward with regards to options for midfielflders.

I was clearly talking defensive pressure in the forward line. Haven’t had an issue with our backline. They are doing very well considering our ordinary midfield. Unfortunately our ordinary midfield is effecting the forwards
Yep and that's the reason that dropping Higgins and relying on more from "pressure" forwards to keep the ball in the f50 is nothing more than window dressing.

We are near the bottom for i50's (despite doing very well in rebound 50"s) - address the ball movement especially through the centre of the ground.

Hill out won't help that - Leinert might have been an option

Joyce for medi sub

Yep and that's the reason that dropping Higgins and relying on more from "pressure" forwards to keep the ball in the f50 is nothing more than window dressing.

We are near the bottom for i50's (despite doing very well in rebound 50"s) - address the ball movement especially the centre of the ground.
You can actually address both and I’d be certain they have and are. The players still have to be good enough to deliver. It’s not like there are spare mids available for selection.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can actually address both and I’d be certain they have and are. The players still have to be good enough to deliver. It’s not like there are spare mids available for selection.
Ratts should ban mids running out of the centre and kicking across their bodies into the forward half- it is a recipe for turnovers and gives the forwards no chance.

I think Higgins was dropped for "finding space", Sharman's defensive game is non existent hence why he has struggled to get a game. We've been really poor at locking it in F50 and getting scored against on the turnover in our front half so Sharman will need to add chasing and tackling to his game if he's going to remain in the side. Finding space is OK if the ball is kicked to you but therein lies another problem for players who's only trick is to find space because if the opposition's defence is covers the space finding type player then you are effective down one forward with regards to options for midfielflders.
But that’s not his only trick
And forward pressure is better than Kings

The structure is obviously his preference. He’s had multiple chances to bring in players or change things up. Butler, Higgins, Coops, Ryder etc are all his. He inherited King, Membrey etc but got rid of Bruce and others. It’s his set up.
Ratts got rid of Bruce did he?

I agree there's issues and we need some changes but you're way out on a limb this time.

Just out of interest how many posters have coached Senior football at any level.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Just out of interest how many posters have coached Senior football at any level.

Assistant for one year in c grade ammos. We got relegated. Having said that I do know a couple of senior afl coaches because of my involvement at my local club. Be a pretty boring place though if we all couldn’t comment without experience. All I could comment on is the best massages places near east Bentleigh

But that’s not his only trick
And forward pressure is better than Kings
King welcomes body contact and brings the ball to ground to bring the small forwards into the game, (Sharman not so much), as such a small forward will chose to be FAC on Kingy over Sharman so they are a chance to come into the play. Sharman "finding space" turns it into a one V one contest and I don't think Sharman has the confidence of his midfielfers yet unless he has found said space without it being a contested situation because if he loses the contest all forwards are over covering Kingy...that's where the turnover happens and all the forwards get practice running up to the oppos F50.

Sharman can mark and kick for goal, that's two tricks, he's been at VFL level to learn other tricks. We get to see if he's learnt the the defensive side of the game against the Swans.

Assistant for one year in c grade ammos. We got relegated. Having said that I do know a couple of senior afl coaches because of my involvement at my local club. Be a pretty boring place though if we all couldn’t comment without experience. All I could comment on is the best massages places near east Bentleigh

No issues about replying just out of interest to see what we had on the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back