Autopsy Round 18 – Port Adelaide VS GWS Giants, Sunday 22nd July 2018, Adelaide Oval, 4.10pm ACST

Remove this Banner Ad

Gutsy win.Just watched for 2nd time.Simpsons game was best of his career but goid against Tigersas well.He can quite rightly ask for a big increase in his next contract.Will be interesting to see how it unfolds with our rucks over summer..
Every one pretty much played there role as others have stated...Even Keefe against Westhoff but all our backs i were good.While Kelly's kicking was bit off Shiels kicking is the bigger issue for me.Played a pretty good game and was key at times and tackled well but interesting to note he made 7 critical errors compared to Kelly's two.(although do missed shots ever count as critical errors?)..Whitfield and Kelly are elite kicks but Shiel isn't and this is stopping him from being and out and out superstar in my opinion. Anyone know how bad Griffens hammy is?

These last 2 weeks have been such a great confidence booster heading into the run home. Simpson was enormous for us yet again and Lachie Westhoff was also big. Team morale must be sky high now and I just hope it carries on for the next month so we are charging into finals

Fair to say there was no consensus between the coaches when it came to handing out the votes. Seen a lot of 10s and 9s and what not, but I don’t think I’ve seen a spread quite like this before.

PORT ADELAIDE v GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY
6 Lachie Whitfield (GWS)
5 Jacob Hopper (GWS)
5 Josh Kelly (GWS)
5 Stephen Coniglio (GWS)
5 Heath Shaw (GWS)
3 Jared Polec (PORT)
1 Dawson Simpson (GWS)

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-07-23/aflca-votes-round-18-ten-for-toms-exciting-bomber

Fair to say there was no consensus between the coaches when it came to handing out the votes. Seen a lot of 10s and 9s and what not, but I don’t think I’ve seen a spread quite like this before.

6 Lachie Whitfield (GWS)
5 Jacob Hopper (GWS)
5 Josh Kelly (GWS)
5 Stephen Coniglio (GWS)
5 Heath Shaw (GWS)
3 Jared Polec (PORT)
1 Dawson Simpson (GWS)

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-07-23/aflca-votes-round-18-ten-for-toms-exciting-bomber

It is great and means that both coaches recognise that we had an equal spread of solid contributors. Honestly the talent we have is ridiculous, we are starting to see what this team can do with a semi-reasonable injury list. If we can ever get >80% of our best on the park at one time we will be unstoppable.

6 Lachie Whitfield (GWS)
5 Jacob Hopper (GWS)
5 Josh Kelly (GWS)
5 Stephen Coniglio (GWS)
5 Heath Shaw (GWS)
3 Jared Polec (PORT)
1 Dawson Simpson (GWS)

Not often you see the four people who got five or four from one coach got zero or one from the other.

6 Lachie Whitfield (GWS)
5 Jacob Hopper (GWS)
5 Josh Kelly (GWS)
5 Stephen Coniglio (GWS)
5 Heath Shaw (GWS)
3 Jared Polec (PORT)
1 Dawson Simpson (GWS)

tumblr_nhzyd37ZIe1s9l8tco1_500.gif

That's a team putting a Ferrari back on track

Last edited:

6 Lachie Whitfield (GWS)
5 Jacob Hopper (GWS)
5 Josh Kelly (GWS)
5 Stephen Coniglio (GWS)
5 Heath Shaw (GWS)
3 Jared Polec (PORT)
1 Dawson Simpson (GWS)

It's a Port Adelaide thing.
Hinkley in his press conference mentioned Whitfield and Kelly and you can bet they're Giants players that got votes from Port. Just be glad they didn't give them all to Power pkayers I guess. He did mention they were both pick 1's.
He was also a bit dismissive of our midfield when pushed for a compliment by journalists. Not rude really just completely disinterested.

He a product of the culture. Port really aren't like any other club. I know how dominant they were in SA or a looong time. Their the only non Vic club that negotiated their way to the AFL, an unlikely feat in many ways. I hated them for a long time because of the damage they did to SA football to get it done.

It's very tribal and the upside is their supporters roar at a set time to match the number in support of a player having a tough personal time. It's one example if how they look after their own. I don't think any other club would do that.

The downside is if you're not part the tribe they really dont give a rat's.

Last edited:
It's a Port Adelaide thing.
Hinkley in his press conference mentioned Whitfield and Kelly and you can bet they're Giants players that got votes from Port. Just be glad they didn't give them all to Power pkayers I guess. He did mention they were both pick 1's.
He was also a bit dismissive of our midfield when pushed for a compliment by journalists. Not rude really just completely disinterested.

He a product of the culture. Port really aren't like any other club. I know how dominant they were in SA or a looong time. Their the only non Vic club that negotiated their way to the AFL, an unlikely feat in many ways. I hated them for a long time because of the damage they did to SA football to get it done.

It's very tribal and the upside is their supporters roar at a set tone to match the number in support of a player having a tough personal time. It's one example if how they look after their own. I don't think any other club would do that.

The downside is if you're not part the tribe they really dont give a rat's.

I just watched his press conference (don’t normally watch oppo pressers) but was interested after your comment. Gotta agree about his attitude. Did note he called Kelly a number 1 pick and said we had everyone out there bar Cameron.... (Patton, Scully, Williams, Griffen, Corr and DeBoer say hi, Ken)

Of course he complained about Davis’ touch on the Wingard behind. First of all he defended the decision against Shaw, which makes him the only one on the face of the planet to do so, then he said Davis needed to be 10m away. Since when? If that’s the case then Tuohy gets a 50 for having 18 Melbourne players in front of him. All Davis needs to be is behind Shaw on the mark, which he was by half a step. Then Hinkley said Wingard “might have taken a step” - No Ken. He took two, the umpire clearly calls play on after the first and Phil dives forward - so you’re WRONG.

But who cares. We won and they didn’t. Let them stew.

I just watched his press conference (don’t normally watch oppo pressers) but was interested after your comment. Gotta agree about his attitude. Did note he called Kelly a number 1 pick and said we had everyone out there bar Cameron.... (Patton, Scully, Williams, Griffen, Corr and DeBoer say hi, Ken)

Of course he complained about Davis’ touch on the Wingard behind. First of all he defended the decision against Shaw, which makes him the only one on the face of the planet to do so, then he said Davis needed to be 10m away. Since when? If that’s the case then Tuohy gets a 50 for having 18 Melbourne players in front of him. All Davis needs to be is behind Shaw on the mark, which he was by half a step. Then Hinkley said Wingard “might have taken a step” - No Ken. He took two, the umpire clearly calls play on after the first and Phil dives forward - so you’re WRONG.

But who cares. We won and they didn’t. Let them stew.
I forgot the Davis touch thing. I run into dual members in other other team sigs on the MB all the time. I very much doubt if we have many Port dual members though.

If Ken Hinkley didn't have this single moment from a dubious free kick to blame for a 22 point loss at home while missing only 1-2 key players, then he would have to come to the realisation that he is just a below average coach with a very average list. Without Ryder they are now 1 injury to Robbie Gray away from battling at the bottom with Carlton.

Normally I don't credence a losing team's supporters calls for a coach's head after a loss (cf: Sydney, Longmire) but I get where Port supporters are coming from flicking through their post-game thread. Hinkley did a good transition of bringing in sports science and professionalism into the club but it seems he tops out at the top 8 mark and can't shift what is a pretty talented group into a higher gear. There's no real lateral thinking. I was amused when he got re-signed for five years because the Suns were sniffing around - he would've been good at the Suns, bringing them back up the ladder without any concern about actually winning it all, but when it comes to the other end of the ladder it feels like he's hamstringing Port these days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Normally I don't credence a losing team's supporters calls for a coach's head after a loss (cf: Sydney, Longmire) but I get where Port supporters are coming from flicking through their post-game thread. Hinkley did a good transition of bringing in sports science and professionalism into the club but it seems he tops out at the top 8 mark and can't shift what is a pretty talented group into a higher gear. There's no real lateral thinking. I was amused when he got re-signed for five years because the Suns were sniffing around - he would've been good at the Suns, bringing them back up the ladder without any concern about actually winning it all, but when it comes to the other end of the ladder it feels like he's hamstringing Port these days.
I see Hinkley as a fairly similar coach to Leon.

Both I think are very good at the player management side. I think both teams play with grit and spirit, and both teams have the professionalism and humility to try to improve their craft every day.

And then the game plan is fairly rudimentary. That’s good for tough moments because you don’t have to do algebra to know what to do - ease of execution. It also means that you mostly win games by working harder / winning contests; if you only break even on those factors a more strategic coach like Clarkson will pull ahead.

Both good coaches with some strengths and weaknesses. I wouldn’t rule either coach out of winning a premiership if things go right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back