Review Round 2 - West Coast Eagles v GWS Giants, Saturday 30 March 2019, Optus Stadium @ 8.10 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
WCE v GWS.PNG
Where and when: Optus Stadium, Saturday March 30, 5.10pm AWST

Last time they met: Optus Stadium, round 16, 2018. West Coast 13.8 (86) beat Greater Western Sydney 10.15 (75)

Both sides were dealing with decimated forward lines and were scrapping for the top four, but it was the Eagles who arrested a three-game losing streak in a see-sawing encounter with midfielder Andrew Gaff racking up 41 touches and booting two goals.

What it means for West Coast: After a hiccup in Brisbane, expect talk of a hangover if the Eagles can't produce a better effort at home on a marquee occasion when the club will raise the premiership flag and celebrate Shannon Hurn, Chris Masten and, pending fitness, Josh Kennedy's milestone games.

What it means for GWS: The Giants thumped Essendon and if Leon Cameron can engineer an upset in Perth there will be growing belief this group, despite a 'fire sale' during the NAB AFL Trade Period, is a genuine premiership threat.

WCE v GWS teams.PNG
How West Coast wins: The Eagles were smashed in the contest (-29) by Brisbane and need to at least square the midfield battle to give their inexperienced forward line more chances to kick a winning score.

How GWS wins: Jeremy Cameron, who has lost sidekick Toby Greene to a calf injury, holds the key for the Giants. The star left-footer will need to have a significant scoreboard impact for Greater Western Sydney to cause an upset.

The stat: The Giants might have a reputation among some as a free-wheeling outfit, but they outhunted Essendon in round one. Despite having 63 more possessions they laid more tackles (63-58) and belted the Bombers in contested ball (+40).

The match-up: Stephen Coniglio v Mark Hutchings

Coniglio tore Essendon apart in round one, racking up 31 disposals and booting three goals. The West Australian looms as the No.1 danger man in the Giants' midfield and Hutchings is likely to make a beeline to Coniglio from the opening bounce.

It's a big week for: Shannon Hurn

A week after leading West Coast for the 100th time, the premiership skipper will become just the eighth Eagle to reach the 250-game milestone on Saturday night. It will be a huge event given Kennedy reaches 200 club games, Masten plays his 200th and the flag will be raised, and more importantly than anything the Eagles need a win.

Our first away jumper design lasted 2 years, our second away jumper design (my favourite) lasted 2 years, our third away jumper has been with us for 3 years now.

Time for a new design?

I must admit, I'm pretty ambivalent about jumper designs. As long as they don't suck entirely!

Just hoping that our boys are tuned in and ready to fire for this one. There's going to be plenty of emotion from the WCE team and crowd - flag unfurling, several milestone games. However, that could work against them too, if we can get the early jump on them they might feel the pressure to succeed for those emotional reasons and freeze up a bit. Despite our personnel woes, I reckon we are quite capable of winning this one - if we can play to our potential. We need to bring the same pressure to hunt the ball as last week, bring the last three quarters' clearance capability, and the same defensive mindset - although we'll need to improve the F50 entries because the Eagles have a very good defence.

Let's go Giants!

I must admit, I'm pretty ambivalent about jumper designs. As long as they don't suck entirely!

Just hoping that our boys are tuned in and ready to fire for this one. There's going to be plenty of emotion from the WCE team and crowd - flag unfurling, several milestone games. However, that could work against them too, if we can get the early jump on them they might feel the pressure to succeed for those emotional reasons and freeze up a bit. Despite our personnel woes, I reckon we are quite capable of winning this one - if we can play to our potential. We need to bring the same pressure to hunt the ball as last week, bring the last three quarters' clearance capability, and the same defensive mindset - although we'll need to improve the F50 entries because the Eagles have a very good defence.

Let's go Giants!
I agree and am Optimistic about this

For me it will come down to pressure and contested ball in the midfield

I say this Every time we play but the times we have lost to them is when we bomb it high to the forwards. McGovern and Hurn chop it off every time.

When we beat them we hit targets

Do that and we go a long way to winning

Let's go Giants!

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Delivery inside forward 50 terrible. Where have I heard that before? This is where Cameron’s coaching really needs to come into fire. Dominating inside 50’s and behind on the scoreboard.

And don’t get me wrong, love Taranto, but needs more polish. Needs to work on his skills.

Brisbane gave a blueprint for beating the Eagles and we've chosen to ignore it - forward pressure and handballs out of the contest to avoid those bombs.

Keeffe was a terrible selection - no pressure, no contested marking. Williams up forward is a start but need to put it into space, not into 3 on 1s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brisbane gave a blueprint for beating the Eagles and we've chosen to ignore it - forward pressure and handballs out of the contest to avoid those bombs.

Keeffe was a terrible selection - no pressure, no contested marking. Williams up forward is a start but need to put it into space, not into 3 on 1s.
And everyone going for the mark. Hurn wasn't the spare man despite what the commentators think - there was a 2 on 1 closer to the ball and that contest was a 3 on 3, we just took all of players out in the contest.

For all Timmy Taranto's upside (accumulating, tackling, running, providing options) he is a frightful executor of a drop punt.
His terrible miss pretty much changed the momentum of the game. Learn how to kick. So disheartening all the good work undone in 10 minutes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back