Preview Round 21: Greater Western Sydney vs Essendon, Sydney Showgrounds, Saturday 06/08/2022 @ 2:10 PM

Chicken Dinner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last Game

Greater Western Sydney: Two goalless quarters made it very tough for the Giants, going down to cross town rivals Sydney by a whopping 73 points in a disappointing display. Midfielder Josh Kelly collected 25 disposals whilst controversial small forward Toby Greene was the only multiple goal kicker with 2.

Essendon: The Bombers had a comfortable win against bottom of the ladder North Melbourne, holding the Kangaroos to 4 goals after half time to record a 48 point victory. Mason Redman was one of the Bombers best off half back with 32 disposals whilst forwards Jake Stringer, James Stewart, Peter Wright and Harrison Jones kicked 13 goals between them

Head to Head (last 5)

Greater Western Sydney 4-1 Essendon

Form Guide

Greater Western Sydney 1W 4L
Essendon: 4W 1L

Possible sides

Greater Western Sydney vs Essendon

FB: Isaac Cumming - Sam Taylor - Leek Alleer
FF: Matthew Guelfi - Peter Wright - Jake Stringer
HB: Adam Kennedy - Harrison Himmelberg - James Peatling
HF: Will Snelling - Harrison Jones - Jye Menzie
MF: Lachie Whitfield - Josh Kelly - Harry Perryman
MF: Nic Martin - Kyle Langford - Sam Durham
HF: Tim Taranto - Jake Riccardi - Daniel Lloyd
HB: Andrew McGrath - Jayden Laverde - Nick Hind
FF: Kieran Briggs - Jesse Hogan - Toby Greene
FB: Jake Kelly - Brandon Zerk-Thatcher - Jordan Ridley
OB: Braydon Preuss - Tom Green - Jacob Hopper
OB: Sam Draper - Darcy Parish - Zachary Merrett
IC: Callan Ward - Lachie Ash - Jacob Wehr - Stephen Coniglio
IC: Mason Redman - Archie Perkins - Dyson Heppell - James Stewart
MS: Nick Haynes
MS: Ben Hobbs

Greater Western Sydney in: Coniglio, Briggs, Riccardi; out: Xavier O'Halloran, Callum M Brown (omitted), Lachlan Keeffe (medi-sub)
Essendon in: Parish; out: Jye Caldwell (calf)

Greater Western Sydney defence vs Essendon forward line

So far Essendon have kicked a goal 22.21% of the time it enters their forward 50, 13th in the AFL. Greater Western Sydney concede a goal 23.33% of the time it enters their defensive 50, currently 11th in the AFL. The Bombers main forward this year has been "2 metre" Peter Wright, the key forward having kicked 47 goals so far in 2022, however has struggled against the Giants historically, only kicking 3 goals in his 5 games against the club so far. He'll likely be met by Sam Taylor, a smokie for the All Australian side this season, whilst returning key tall James Stewart also has a very average record against his former side, kicking 1 goal from the 3 games he's played as a forward against them but should be able to expose Leek Alleer in his second game of AFL football.

Midfield/rucks battle

Essendon and GWS are 12th and 14th for contested possession difference this year, as well as being the same for clearance difference in 2022. The Bombers will be looking to the returning Darcy Parish to set the tone early for the Dons, whilst Zach Merrett and Kyle Langford really try to support with an injury to support crew in Dylan Shiel and Jye Caldwell; which in turn might force a couple more opportunities for the likes of Archie Perkins. GWS will be looking to Tom Green and Jacob Hopper mainly on the inside, the pair having some of the fastest hands in the game. On the outside Essendon have been mostly using Dyson Heppell, Sam Durham and Nic Martin all having relatively good years, and will need to bring it against an outside group of Lachie Whitfield and Harry Perryman. In terms of the ruck battle, expect Essendon to try to use Draper as a weapon as mich as possible against Brayden Preuss, the tall Giant being on his 3rd club so far.

Greater Western Sydney forward line vs Essendon defence

GWS have been poor offensively this year as well, kicking a goal 22.09% of the time it enters forward 50. Essendon's defence has been very leaky, conceding a goal 25.42% of the time it enters defensive 50, which is 17th in the AFL currently. Jesse Hogan has been the main guy for the Giants this season, kicking 26 goals so far the year, but however has only kicked 7 in 5 games against the Dons. Jayden Laverde is his most likely opponent, the Don having a career best year. Toby Greene has 35 goals from his 14 games so far this season and will likely be met by Jake Kelly, who has successfully shut down some of the big names of small forwards this year.

X-Factor Player

Flynn Perez has been good for the Roos the past few weeks, the kid having been drafted from a trade between the two sides ironically enough.

Key stat

Greater Western Sydney: Goals/inside 50 conceded. They need to be good this week to shut down Essendon's forward line

Essendon: Clearances. Of the Bombers 7 wins, only 2 have they trailed in clearances, win and they'll go close

Tip

Should win this pretty comfortably, but it is Essendon. Still, Dons by 14

OUT: Caldwell, D'Ambrosio, Perkins, Jones
IN: Parish, McGrath, Menzie, Bryan

Team:

Ridley Zerk Kelly
Redman Lav Hind
Durham Stringer Heppell
Martin Stewart Guelfi
Langford 2MP Snelling

Bryan Parish Merrett

Bench: McGrath Hobbs Menzie Draper

Stringer and Langford to rotate forward and at centre clearances, Parish & McGrath will also help immensely in there & we cant afford to lose clearances 42 to 22 like we did against North...Also feel like Draper needs support - bring in either Phillips or Bryan for Jones - I think Bryan deserves a few more games.

Last edited:
In- McGrath, Parish, Reid, Bryan
Out- Caldwell, Jones, Perkins, Massimo

Wanna see a few names changed. Perkins isnt fit, Jones gets squeezed out due to team selection and Massimo falls out. Parish and McGrath into the midfield, Bryan to support Draper in the ruck. 50/50 chop out. Reid to centre half back. Ridley to play as a flanker.

B- Laverde BZT Kelly
HB- Ridley Reid Redman
C- Langford Merrett Heppell
HF- Guelfi Stewart Martin
F- Menzie Wright Stringer
FOLL- Bryan McGrath Parish
I/C- Hind, Hobbs, Durham, Draper
Sub- Snelling
Emerg- Perkins, Massimo, Cutler, Baldwin

In- McGrath, Parish, Reid, Bryan
Out- Caldwell, Jones, Perkins, Massimo

Wanna see a few names changed. Perkins isnt fit, Jones gets squeezed out due to team selection and Massimo falls out. Parish and McGrath into the midfield, Bryan to support Draper in the ruck. 50/50 chop out. Reid to centre half back. Ridley to play as a flanker.

B- Laverde BZT Kelly
HB- Ridley Reid Redman
C- Langford Merrett Heppell
HF- Guelfi Stewart Martin
F- Menzie Wright Stringer
FOLL- Bryan McGrath Parish
I/C- Hind, Hobbs, Durham, Draper
Sub- Snelling
Emerg- Perkins, Massimo, Cutler, Baldwin
They arent dropping Jones and giving Stewart his spot. Absolutely pointless

Last edited:
They arent dripping Jones and giving Stewart his spot. Absolutely pointless

I didn’t want to but I don’t think we can run 2mp, Stewart, Jones, Draper and Bryan in one team.

There’s 3 games left. Bryan was BOG on the weekend for us.

I didn’t want to but I don’t think we can run 2mp, Stewart, Jones, Draper and Bryan in one team.

And? Jones development is more important that Stewart getting a game
Also did you see who Bryan rucked against? A 19yo bean pole edwards and a local footballer at best in monkhurst. He would be expected to dominate

Stewart doesn’t play ahead of Jones unless he’s injured. You don’t curtail the development of a future gun who’s already missed half a season, for a fringe player over 3 meaningless games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even though the Giants sit below us on the ladder, I really can’t see them losing this game.

They’ve been torched since that Sydney performance on the weekend and when the coach starts naming (or not naming players in this case), it’s generally going to hit the fan in some capacity.

We have a few key injury concerns in the midfield and this is their trump card. We are going to need to play really well to win.

I think as far as my overall preview writing goes that's accurate. I'm gonna change it up a bit next year though I think.

It looks like a fair bit of effort goes into writing the previews, and I certainly appreciate that thanks. :thumbsu:

I probably don't give Lore enough feedback for some of the detailed posts she does as well, I find some of the breakdowns of the stats can be fascinating to read. I think we're lucky over in our corner of bigfooty that there are some who put in as much effort as they do.

Even though the Giants sit below us on the ladder, I really can’t see them losing this game.

They’ve been torched since that Sydney performance on the weekend and when the coach starts naming (or not naming players in this case), it’s generally going to hit the fan in some capacity.

We have a few key injury concerns in the midfield and this is their trump card. We are going to need to play really well to win.

Maybe for a qtr they respond, but ultimately i think we’ll absorb it & win comfortably in the end. On form I think they’re arguably the worst side going around atm & it’s not going to change this late in the year.

I think we’d have to play really poor to lose.

I'm not sure Langford has been that good as a starting midfielder. We are low on options unless someone returns, but I'd have Hobbs in there over Langford.
That was purely because of the way they set up on the weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back