Preview Round 24, 2023 : Hawthorn v Fremantle, MCG 1:45pm August 26th

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
McKenzie has already played more than the max 12 AFL games so can’t play VFL finals.

The only two players on the cusp are Finn and Morrison, who are on 12 AFL games. If you rest them v Freo, they can play VFL finals. I doubt we will do that. Morrison maybe.
It will be interseting to see how we approach this. I do feel finals experience at VFL level would be beneficial for our young blokes.

Perhaps Finn and Morrison go back to qualify and we give BMac another run on a wing or switch Weddle to the wind and Bmac takes his spot. That might depend on keeping Serong in the side for the extra height down back. Perhaps Long takes Finns tagging role if they wish to keep that option.

This coming weekend is wildcard round in the VFL which BH thankfully does not have to play, having finished in the top 6.

Be interesting who gets a game against Freo with that in mind.

I guess the question is whether Newc, Lewis and Ryan come in this week. Of those 3 - only Ryan can play for BH in the finals.

There is no harm in trying to get an exemption for Cam McKenzie. He has been doing well in the VFL and will only benefit him more by playing a few more weeks and finals to boot.

HH should stay in the AFL side and then back up for BH in the remaining weeks.
Would like to see Stephens in place of Morrison to get a game in the AFL side against Freo. Morrison is eligible for VFL finals if he doesn’t play against Freo.

I know it won't happen, but I'd love to see Weddle at a centre bounce a few times. It probably won't work out, but I can already see the Reeves>Weddle>20 meter dash>Goal in 10 seconds in my head. Make it happen Sammy.
Not a bad idea - to try. One thing I noticed with Weddle is his first instinct when he get the ball is to dash forward - kicking and handballing comes second. Not a bad trait for a bull midfielder. However I think in the long run since we are stacked with midfielders including quality backups he may go to CHF when needed.

Ed Sill mentioned on Twitter yesterday they're trying to get CMacK an exemption due to some of those AFL games being starting sub.
This is maybe an interesting point to revisit.

Frenchie's been sub four times, so obviously the most applicable candidate for a selected exemption. But more broadly if starting sub games are excluded from the AFL games needed to be under the threshold, this could also apply to Scrimma (twice sub), Connor McDonald (twice sub), Finn (sub once), Morrison (sub once) & Blanck (sub once) of the other guys who have played a bit of AFL this year. Haven't checked their AFL games to see if that puts them under though bar the comment on Morrison above.

I know it won't happen, but I'd love to see Weddle at a centre bounce a few times. It probably won't work out, but I can already see the Reeves>Weddle>20 meter dash>Goal in 10 seconds in my head. Make it happen Sammy.

Start him in the Impey role running off half back for the outside receive.

Reeves2Newcombe2Weddle.

I would play our strongest side with the intention of finishing the year on a high with a good win. Freo are traveling and will be flat after a poor year. I think Mitch will want to smash them.

Players play sore the whole year. Resting them for the last game to 'freshen up early' makes zero sense. They have 2 months off. They will be desperate to play and win well.

Also no need to experiment. We have had a year of development. Carry the structures and combinations we have worked on through for one last game.

This coming weekend is wildcard round in the VFL which BH thankfully does not have to play, having finished in the top 6.

Be interesting who gets a game against Freo with that in mind.

I guess the question is whether Newc, Lewis and Ryan come in this week. Of those 3 - only Ryan can play for BH in the finals.

There is no harm in trying to get an exemption for Cam McKenzie. He has been doing well in the VFL and will only benefit him more by playing a few more weeks and finals to boot.

HH should stay in the AFL side and then back up for BH in the remaining weeks.
Would like to see Stephens in place of Morrison to get a game in the AFL side against
Interesting the survivors of the 2018 BHH flag side. CJ Nash Lewis Worpel Moore…..and O’Brien, pittonet elsewhere
. Morrison is eligible for VFL finals if he doesn’t play against Freo.

Does DGB play?
Does him starting make him ineligible for vfl finals?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does DGB play?
Does him starting make him ineligible for vfl finals?

DGB is ok for VFL finals

There is a page about this-

I reckon we should definitely maximise player availability for a Box Hill flag run. The Freo game is a complete dead rubber for us and we should win it easily at the MCG with Newcombe and Lewis back - probably even without them.

We need to remember that Box Hill isn't just "Hawthorn Reserves". It's a VFL affiliation. A partnership with give and take.

This is the perfect opportunity to give back and give Box Hill the best chance at a flag. And it gives those Hawthorn listed players a great experience to play in a finals campaign together. A potential VFL flag with that group would still mean a lot.

And also recall that we arguably cost them a flag in 2014 when we essentially used a spot in their GF team to prove match fitness for Rioli's AFL GF return who was rested for the last quarter (BHH lead at 3QT).
The main thing that makes BH not Hawthorn Reserves is the BH players. So if anything, that is a reason to keep Morrison and Finn at Hawthorn, so to give more of the regular BH players a chance to play finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back