AFLW Round 4 Discussion - 2021 AFLW season

Remove this Banner Ad

Dogs a chance to finish in the 6 from here. Great stuff so far. Particularly since it’s usually the Dogs who waste chances and to sort that out againist strong opposition in Dees today.

14 scoring shots to 7 and still lose by 13 points, think that qualifies as a ridiculous loss for Melbourne. After last week, that's a comedown which you'd have to be a madman (and probably very handsome) to have predicted! Thought it was still a really good game though, third of the weekend.

Entertaining, high scoring first quarter between GWS and West Coast, 4.2.26 to 3.1.19 at quarter time.

Skills aren't great, but there are flashes of good exciting play.

Weird how I keep hearing "the game has gone past" all the oldies. Adelaide and GWS would have lost today without the 8 goals from 35yo Phillips and 39yo Staunton. And, without a couple of 32-year-olds, Melbourne wouldn't have kicked a goal at all today (and that would just be embarrassing!).

I'm impressed by Chloe Molloy's calling. She should keep up with it (when she's not playing of course).
Had a few stumbles where the other callers saved it from her, certainly needs some work but a very good base to go from. Good thing she's still got about 15 seasons of playing left in her

Was an entertaining round overall, it gets said so often but it just improves week on week, to the point where even WCE, Cats and Tigers looked competitive throughout, whether that's largely down to opposition or not I guess will be seen for the rest of the season.

Prespakis/ Rowbottom cup on Friday night is going to be interesting

Had a few stumbles where the other callers saved it from her, certainly needs some work but a very good base to go from. Good thing she's still got about 15 seasons of playing left in her
Pretty impressive for 22 when you have media-trained 30-something year old AFL players who struggle in the booth

What about if Prespakis selects the Metropolitan region, not state? Geelong traded pick 5 away last year, won't they just trade pick 1 away this year if they finish last?
Pretty sure the split between the zones in Victoria is abolished now, although with Geelong's tendency to go Country over Metro they may pull out a shock selection (although I still think Richmond end up with the first Vic pick)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Draft rule changed last year and no more split for Vic - there's been some discussion about that on our board and how if that wasn't in place especially for our first draft would the club have maybe drafted different players to who we actually took;

"The Victorian draft nomination rule (players could choose Geelong, Melbourne metro or Victoria) will no longer be in effect this year. The rule - which gave players a degree of choice if they were unwilling or unable to travel for the part-time competition - was only in place for Geelong's first two seasons."

Melbourne have to bounce back next week, but unfortunately, it's against Collingwood.

This match may decide who the best in Victoria is. Melbourne may have lost to the Western Bulldogs, but without Kate Hore present, it's hard to judge them. She's equally as influential as Chloe Molloy. Not to take anything away from the Dog's, they were brilliant. Unfortunately, nobody is giving the Dogs their just rewards. But it's not a bad thing to fly in under the radar, the Dogs are a surprise at the moment. Let's see them keep it up.

As for Collingwood, there are only two more teams to topple before the finals; Melbourne and Fremantle. The Pies have without a doubt the most powerful midfield in the game. Brianna Davey is a powerhouse that few can match up, Brittany Bonnici is the Queen of uncontested ball, and Jamie Lambert has x-factor in spades.

Melbourne's midfield is towered over by this opposition. The Demons scrap better than most, but can they win the clearance game? If they can, the tide shifts and Collingwood's defenders are at disadvantage. Melbourne has the tallest forward line in the league and they have proven to be a handful for heavyweight teams like North Melbourne.

If Collingwood dominates the centre, Melbourne's defensive size will not be an issue for the Pies. As soon as that ball hits the turf, it's game time for Molloy and the Irish duo. Not that Membrey and Alexander can't take a contested mark, but these medium-sized forwards have serious pace.

If Melbourne fails, Fremantle vs Collingwood the following week is a must. Let's see who can get the bragging rights early. One team must be defeated. Either way, there is a high probability they will meet again in the finals.

Fremantle vs Collingwood the following week is a must.
As I said in the fixture thread: no team was originally scheduled to play all of last year's top 4. And that was by design. Given the Pies have already drawn three of last year's top 4, a Fremantle v Collingwood match-up should not occur in this H&A season.

As I said in the fixture thread: no team was originally scheduled to play all of last year's top 4. And that was by design. Given the Pies have already drawn three of last year's top 4, a Fremantle v Collingwood match-up should not occur in this H&A season.

If this was an ordinary AFLW season I would have to agree. But it isn't.

Everything is changing constantly. There will be no easy fixture factor for any team in this season. The AFL will exploit the big games for the next five weeks. The only thing the AFL are doing wrong is giving prime time slots to weak teams.

Friday night and Saturday games must be earned.

If this was an ordinary AFLW season I would have to agree. But it isn't.

Everything is changing constantly. There will be no easy fixture factor for any team in this season. The AFL will exploit the big games for the next five weeks.
I'm not talking about what the AFL will do, rather what they should do. They should stick to the 4-6-4 formula used back in December when the complexities of completing the season were already evident ("to ensure maximum competition integrity" as Nicole Livingstone put it).

The only thing the AFL are doing wrong is giving prime time slots to weak teams.

Friday night and Saturday games must be earned.
Friday night and Saturday are not prime time slots, hence Geelong will have only had one game on free-to-air TV by the end of round 5.

Sunday afternoon games are clearly the most desirable (TV coverage on 7's primary channel in Melb/Adel/Perth, generally better crowds, etc.) and the fixturing has reflected that.

Draft rule changed last year and no more split for Vic - there's been some discussion about that on our board and how if that wasn't in place especially for our first draft would the club have maybe drafted different players to who we actually took;

"The Victorian draft nomination rule (players could choose Geelong, Melbourne metro or Victoria) will no longer be in effect this year. The rule - which gave players a degree of choice if they were unwilling or unable to travel for the part-time competition - was only in place for Geelong's first two seasons."

It'll be interesting come trade period what offers come for Cats/ Tigers Picks 1 and 2, again if Cats are looking more Country like they usually do they can afford to drop back 1 or 2. I genuinely think Prespakis and Rowbottom will have Patrikios/ Smith/ Molloy/ etc. level impacts year 1, ROwbottom especially at 178cm has that McKenizie/ Newton versatility where she can play KPP as well as in the guts

It'll be interesting come trade period what offers come for Cats/ Tigers Picks 1 and 2, again if Cats are looking more Country like they usually do they can afford to drop back 1 or 2. I genuinely think Prespakis and Rowbottom will have Patrikios/ Smith/ Molloy/ etc. level impacts year 1, ROwbottom especially at 178cm has that McKenizie/ Newton versatility where she can play KPP as well as in the guts

I would like to think that the club would love the freedom to just select the best player available who can step straight into the team next year, though I'd say they are acutely aware that being a regional team in what's essentially a part-time league won't necessarily appeal to the younger players as we saw when the draft rules did allow for the split state nomination - such as a local in Lucy McEvoy expressed her desire to move to Melbourne due to study purposes

We do have a few players on our list who are Melbourne based and some of them actually stay in Geelong on a Monday night after training sessions, but I can understand that it's not something others may be willing to commit to or it's not a suitable arrangement depending on their commitments & life outside of football

In our second year we drafted a couple of mature agers from the metro region in Nicole Garner & Gemma Wright; prior to the season commencing Wright advised the club that she would be stepping away for personal reasons; so I wonder if that played on the minds of the coaches & recruiting team last year and why we went with all local players or players with connections to Geelong

So it's that juggle between drafting the best player/s and those willing to commit their availability to play for Geelong

Friday night and Saturday are not prime time slots, hence Geelong will have only had one game on free-to-air TV by the end of round 5.

Sunday afternoon games are clearly the most desirable (TV coverage on 7's primary channel in Melb/Adel/Perth, generally better crowds, etc.) and the fixturing has reflected that.
[/QUOTE]

Sunday is never more desirable when it comes to football or any sport. Those finishing work on a Friday or even a Saturday night, want to come home to be entertained. And putting free to air TV aside, AFLW fans paying for Kayo or Fox Sports, deserve the best experience. The top teams going head to head.

As for crowds, fans are going to go no matter what. This sport is growing rapidly. Two weeks ago I attended the Collingwood vs Geelong in a sold-out Victoria Park on a Saturday. That was a site.

On another note, speaking as one who enjoys the city, it costs a lot of money to catch a ride in and out. These are short games, after they're finished you don't want to go home, you want to go out. You can't do that on a Sunday.

Sorry mate, but I couldn't disagree more.

Sunday is never more desirable when it comes to football or any sport.
And yet when the AFL asked the reigning premiers for their fixturing preference, what did Adelaide say...
"Sundays were popular with young families last year, so we are glad all our home games are Sunday afternoons so we can continue to nurture young families coming to watch the game and support our women."
Sorry mate, but I couldn't disagree more.
Then you're simply disagreeing with facts.

Clubs want free-to-air TV exposure. Channel 7 doesn't want to air women's sport on Friday nights. And, since 14 teams were introduced, typical Sunday games have drawn crowds that have been on average 10% bigger than Saturday games. None of this is a matter of opinion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back