Preview Round 7 changes vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm fine with the smaller forward line. Essendon's defense is poor at the moment. Their key backs are poor so as long as they keep Ridley quiet the team will get a lot of chances inside 50.

As a member for 36 years I am now going to contact the club and let them know I am so close to cancelling my family social club membership which costs me $3500 a year. I could deal with the Rohde and BMac horror years but the last 5 years have been the most frustrating. Our list is the best it has been but we have a coach and selection committee that appears to be totally incompetent. I am not saying West is best 22 but for god sake give the kid a go and stop gifting games to Bevo’s vfl players who get chance after chance. Schache and JUH both dropped is a joke. Is Bont playing fwd or match?

I now convinced Bevo needs to go!

I don't think Bevo needs to go, but a complete review of the football department has to happen and the appointment of senior assistant coaches must take place

For the first time since Dougie and Axe played against us due to Joyce kicking out of the club I will be barracking for the opposition. Yes I am having a breakdown even contemplating going for the Dons but we need change sooner rather than later and if Bevo sneaks them into the finals that even BMac and Rohde could do with this team he will keep his job and waste our chance of sustained success

Probably a bit extreme. Yes we should have shown we are better so far this season and yes some selections continue to puzzle.

But, I’ve said from before the season started that I hope we are still in contention for finals at least halfway through the season and can maintain a minimal injury list from there. We will look so much better with Bruce back in, but the injuries so far this season also suck. We are playing a band aid team for the next couple of weeks before Keath & English are back, hopefully Hunter too.

I just hope all that luck changes in the 2nd half of the season and we can get a good run with injuries, but it’s also too far ahead to think that much so in between we really need to stop experimenting and put our best possible teams out with players in their best positions.

I hate the cancelling the membership threats, it's pretty pathetic IMO. Your money and you can do what you want with it obviously, but this club is bigger than Beveridge or Sam Power or the match selection committee. We won our first flag in a long time with this coach and were literally in a grand final last year after a pretty thrilling finals series, and of course ended up losing to a better team.

This club relies on its members to survive and threatening to pull that funding because ******* Rhylee West or Jordon Sweet who have been pretty average at VFL level haven't gotten a game, or Josh Schache goes out of the team again is pretty ordinary. Email the club, write a letter voicing your opinion, go to the meetings and functions members are invited to and make your feelings known. Cancelling memberships and trying to kill our club because you're unhappy we are off to a rough start this year and team selection/ the list balance isn't to your lacking is just insane to me. Flame away at me now, I don't care...

Meh beginning not to care.

Pick a structure stick to it at least that way we would seem to have a plan. How do we expect any form of consistency or continuity from the players when it’s musical structures every week.
How does structure help you kick straight, win a hard ball or play with confidence? If it was as simple as having a "structure," no team would ever lose.

I’m not happy with mediocrity but fair dinkum some people carry on like it’s the end of their lives.

Some people carry on about the carry on as if it's the end of theirs.....it's just someone's opinion; it doesn't influence anything. They're just getting it off their chest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How does structure help you kick straight, win a hard ball or play with confidence? If it was as simple as having a "structure," no team would ever lose.

Name a good team that changes its structure constantly.

Every single team need to finish the good work by kicking straight, needs to win the contest and needs confidence. A team with all those things and no structure will lose more than they win, a team with all those things and a consistent structure will win more than they lose.

Structure is massively important. For many reasons. Continuity is one. We bemoan talls get in each other’s way but one week we have one the next three the next two how can they even gel. There has to be structure for teammates to have predictability. When structure changes it generally results in your game plan being tinkered with which again loses continuity. Without continuity you never get confidence.

Name a good team that changes its structure constantly.

Every single team need to finish the good work by kicking straight, needs to win the contest and needs confidence. A team with all those things and no structure will lose more than they win, a team with all those things and a consistent structure will win more than they lose.

Structure is massively important. For many reasons. Continuity is one. We bemoan talls get in each other’s way but one week we have one the next three the next two how can they even gel. There has to be structure for teammates to have predictability. When structure changes it generally results in your game plan being tinkered with which again loses continuity. Without continuity you never get confidence.
Absolutely nailed it mate, we complain about the lack of connection between midfield and forward line but every week it’s completely different - and it’s been like this for years. We don’t have the right mix so we just tinker and tinker and tinker, all the other good teams have a set way they play, one out another one straight back in to play the same role. Ours is just a raffle it would be extremely hard as a player to play like that.

You’ve nailed it though, good sides do all that which we do well, which is why we’ve been a good side - great sides do that and have a winning system in place too which we have never had and is why we have never been a great side. Win a couple of finals here and there because a lot of time those structures can go out the windows in finals, but it’s not sustainable to expect that to happen all year - and usually has us beaten up coming into the finals after a huge effort.

No ones saying we just need to play 3 talls down back and 3 talls up front and we’ll win 🤦‍♂️ It goes so much deeper than that.

We really should still win this cos Essendon suck but I just cannot see a consistent winning game plan coming from this selection.

We’ll obviously try and spot up short targets inside 50, yet we have ball butchers filling the flanks and wings, the positions that need to be spotting up those inside 50s. We’ll also overuse the ball and take majority of our shots from 45+, yet we don’t have forwards capable of kicking those goals - and then we’ll bemoan our lack of accuracy even though it’s completely self driven - this game has a 9.18 scoreboard and a s**t win written all over it.

3 tall defenders + (2 tall forwards + 2 rucks) or (3 tall forwards + 1 ruck). If follow that formula you will win 99% of your games. All of football strategy and coaching just comes down to selecting the right amount of talls. Doesn't matter who they are.
Not going to win you 99% of the games if the tall forwards or tall defenders aren't good enough to fill their role.

Ah well, if he's happy with mediocrity and not worried about how we're going enough to get a chuckle out of others angst, lots of karma to him.

Exactly. I mean 2-4 (a lucky win over Sydney and easy win over a thoroughly crap local footy side in North) is something of which last year's Grand Finalists should be really proud.

Yeah .. a "lucky" 11 more shots than shitney.

They were lucky it wasn't a comfortable win more like it

We've been crap all year. The two wins just papered over the cracks. If I remember rightly, Sydney looked like over running us at stages.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back