Recommitted Sam Flanders - 4 more years!

Remove this Banner Ad

Suns still have cap issues apparently.

So a mature player wont be heading there unless they free up cap space to fit them in.

So unless a few get traded under contract Suns will chase future picks IMO.
Would be interested to read where it says we still have cap issues?

That's news to me. Based on what info?

If anything, there were media reporting (I believe if was Ralph and but others too) that Suns have finally cap in good shape and can for example pay King whatever.

Suns off-loaded 2M+ last year, and spread some contracts too (Swallow, Fiorini, Sexton).

Would be interested to read where it says we still have cap issues?

You wont read it.

An ITK poster who works in the industry alluded to it in a post elsewhere.

Its not a stretch either as its a well known issue that they need to pay players above average wages to retain them. And the elite players likely earning quite a bit. King is out of contract next year.

Access to NT zone players and the acadamy success delivering high level talent will demand pay increases and by a number of quality players.

The Suns will have challenges managing their cap for some time because other clubs see them as a feeder club to out bid when a Vic kid starts peaking.

They will always have quality draft picks though.

Why are you so vehemently trying to offload Worpel then. Shouldn’t you be giddy that he’s yours and you’re lucky enough no other clubs want him?
cause we have 2 top 10 picks(Ward & Mackenzie) not getting a run in his position cause Worpel is doing his job. We have a midfield jam on our list. Cooper Stephens a top 20 pick we traded in hasn't got a single game yet due to health of our midfield group + we have big bodied Ned Long ahead of him struggling to get a go. Not to mention Hustwaite who too has been coming along well, plays like Pendlebury and waiting for him to grow into his body.

We were interested in Flanders last year but once that didn't work out, we took Cooper Stephens instead.

You wont read it.

An ITK poster who works in the industry alluded to it in a post elsewhere.

Its not a stretch either as its a well known issue that they need to pay players above average wages to retain them. And the elite players likely earning quite a bit. King is out of contract next year.

Access to NT zone players and the acadamy success delivering high level talent will demand pay increases and by a number of quality players.

The Suns will have challenges managing their cap for some time because other clubs see them as a feeder club to out bid when a Vic kid starts peaking.

They will always have quality draft picks though.
Fair enough then.

Forgive me for questioning it then, it can be seen as just a very lazy narrative about our club that gets wheeled out year upon year.

cause we have 2 top 10 picks(Ward & Mackenzie) not getting a run in his position cause Worpel is doing his job. We have a midfield jam on our list. Cooper Stephens a top 20 pick we traded in hasn't got a single game yet due to health of our midfield group + we have big bodied Ned Long ahead of him struggling to get a go. Not to mention Hustwaite who too has been coming along well, plays like Pendlebury and waiting for him to grow into his body.

We were interested in Flanders last year but once that didn't work out, we took Cooper Stephens instead.

Lol Worpel is going to win the Crimmins Medal and probably going to make the AA Squad (at least)

He is one of the last players Hawthorn will get rid of.

I'd do it with something coming back, but not a straight swap.

Zero good midfield options in our draft range by the looks of it.

Obviously I'd prefer to give up later picks but if it came down to it, I think he's a player
Worth remembering assuming you make finals from here, that first pick is going to balloon out anywhere between 2 and 6 spots depending on who is bid on and FA compo. Giving up 11 or 12 for him feels a bit much but with how compromised the draft could be this year, it could be more like picking the 16th best kid in the draft.

I'd take Flanders over that gamble any day of the week

So a mature player wont be heading there unless they free up cap space to fit them in.

So unless a few get traded under contract Suns will chase future picks IMO.
Do they now? I'm sure we can come to an arrangement

1690762553012.png

We were talking with Tarryn Thomas last year,
So seems like we could have fitted an extra 400+k into the cap at that stage?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we will drop a few spots from where we are. We will likely miss out on Sanders, after that I think we'd be reaching if we choose to take a genuine mid with our first pick.

Who would you suggest would be a good option?

Knowing SOS, no way he is offering the Saints First Rounder this season for Flanders. And he would probably be right tbh.

I think we will drop a few spots from where we are. We will likely miss out on Sanders, after that I think we'd be reaching if we choose to take a genuine mid with our first pick.

Who would you suggest would be a good option?

So say Saints pick is around 12. That likely ends up 16.

Wilson would be the best likely available. And I'd love to pair Wilson with Reid if the Eagles land the Swans 1st.

Tholstrop has been struggling with a lower back issue all season, previously touted as a top 5 pick.

George Stevens is a decent mid around there.

Will Lorenz another.

Risk v reward go Moir. Another who has struggled with a hip niggle.

So say Saints pick is around 12. That likely ends up 16.

Wilson would be the best likely available. And I'd love to pair Wilson with Reid if the Eagles land the Swans 1st.

Tholstrop has been struggling with a lower back issue all season, previously touted as a top 5 pick.

George Stevens is a decent mid around there.

Will Lorenz another.

Risk v reward go Moir. Another who has struggled with a hip niggle.
Wilson isn’t really a genuine mid though, more of a wingman/forward

The others I feel would be a fair reach from our draft range. We could quite easily move down the order and grab one of those I think.

Wilson is a goal kicking winger with inside potential. A high accumulator and can win his own ball.

I really rate him.
Inside “potential” just isn’t enough to get me overly excited. I’ve seen that term used year after year.

Not saying it never happens, but if you aren’t a genuine mid at under 18’s level it’s pretty rare to turn yourself into one at AFL level.

No doubt he’s talented though

Inside “potential” just isn’t enough to get me overly excited. I’ve seen that term used year after year.

Not saying it never happens, but if you aren’t a genuine mid at under 18’s level it’s pretty rare to turn yourself into one at AFL level.

No doubt he’s talented though

I consider wingers who kick goals mids.

Good ones.

Peter Matera and Koutaphides played wing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back