Recommitted Sam Flanders - 4 more years!

Remove this Banner Ad

No offence, but more importantly, how would Flanders feel about going to North? I would imagine North, at present, will struggle to attract top/good players similarly to Suns.

It does look like Suns want to keep Flanders and Hollands could be available.

Based on what Flanders produced this year after coming from knee injury after bye I would guess he has 1st round pick value.

We’d be able to offer more $ than most, he’d also be guaranteed midfield time. Obvious things, but I do agree North is a hard sell.

Flanders and his whole family barracked for North as a kid so there is a bit of connection there.

Because he couldn’t see players strengths only their weaknesses and played favourites

Should of been sacked 2 years ago
To be fair, Dew played Flanders this year when he was healthy. Not in the middle early this season but after coming back from injury Flanders did get midfield minutes under Dew like now.

Why? They aren’t going to get to use pick 5/6. In this scenario they get ahead of the Walter bid and get additional top 5 player in the draft in the form of McKercher/Duursma or Watson.
It’s highly likely to be pick 4, and you would have to have pick 1 to ensure no bid is made.

Plus don’t think we want another draftee. If Flanders goes he should get us a pick in the teens. Meaning we can sell pick 4 to the highest bidder to cash in.

That would leave us with only round 4 picks.

No one is going to pay pick 14 for a player who struggles to get a game for the suns.
He doesn’t struggle to get a game at the Suns though.

Clearly he was out of favour with Dew, who doesn’t have a job now. He is well and truly cemented in that side and has been one of their best players over the last 2 months

He doesn’t struggle to get a game at the Suns though.

Clearly he was out of favour with Dew, who doesn’t have a job now. He is well and truly cemented in that side and has been one of their best players over the last 2 months
Is that why he played in the reserves last week?

I was replying to a comment about Elijah Hollands.

We’d be able to offer more $ than most, he’d also be guaranteed midfield time. Obvious things, but I do agree North is a hard sell.

Flanders and his whole family barracked for North as a kid so there is a bit of connection there.
He would be a great get if you could secure him. I’m still hopeful he stays but as Dimma won’t be at the club until after the exit interviews there is a big chance he is leaving as he is likely to make his intentions known at that meeting

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hens Love Roosters
Geese Love Gander
Damien Hardwick loves Sam Flanders (and vice versa apparently)

Flanders will be singing a new contract at Gold Coast within the next 48 hours, expect an announcement from The Suns early next week (or possibly sooner)

He is staying for less money at GC than what he could have gotten at other clubs.

Inside Trading linking him with Hawks. I struggle to come up with a trade that would work there. Surely he's up to being worth a teen pick at least at this stage and Hawks have nothing close currently and will not be wanting to break that first pick (quite rightly).

It doesnt make much sense to switch firsts either though maybe Suns could play hot potato with some first round picks, slipping and sliding all over the place until they have what they need.

Inside Trading linking him with Hawks. I struggle to come up with a trade that would work there. Surely he's up to being worth a teen pick at least at this stage and Hawks have nothing close currently and will not be wanting to break that first pick (quite rightly).

It doesnt make much sense to switch firsts either though maybe Suns could play hot potato with some first round picks, slipping and sliding all over the place until they have what they need.

Don't really see the need for Flanders for us anyway.

Struggling to fit Ward, Macdonald and McKenzie into the midfield rotations as it is.

Whatever pick/s the Suns receive for him this year will be eaten up by academy bids anyway. They would be more worried about how many points they can get rather than where the pick actually lies.

Whatever pick/s the Suns receive for him this year will be eaten up by academy bids anyway. They would be more worried about how many points they can get rather than where the pick actually lies.
If we trade pick 4 which is highly likely we will be looking for points as you say. The issue is the rule changes mean we have to have list spots for all the points we use. Lots of late picks won’t work so a pick in the teens as Snuff suggested would be what we are looking for

If we trade pick 4 which is highly likely we will be looking for points as you say. The issue is the rule changes mean we have to have list spots for all the points we use. Lots of late picks won’t work so a pick in the teens as Snuff suggested would be what we are looking for
I’m not suggesting a heap of late picks, but their first two picks are currently worth around pick 19 so I don’t see the Suns putting up a huge fight.

Either that or they use a future pick. Rarely does the club not having a pick in the right range prior to trade period become an issue.

I’m not suggesting a heap of late picks, but their first two picks are currently worth around pick 19 so I don’t see the Suns putting up a huge fight.

Either that or they use a future pick. Rarely does the club not having a pick in the right range prior to trade period become an issue.
Definitely agree and it’s probably being short sighted but with their hand and, bringing in McCabe and only really losing Brockman it feels a lot more awkward than normal.

If he did go to Hawks it would be worked out. Maybe future 2nd and current 2nd

Remove this Banner Ad

Back