Opinion Season 2020 - Pessimistic or optimistic?

Are you optimistic or pessimistic about 2020?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I have a really opti/pessimistic feeling that Jon Patton is going to turn the Hawks unfairly back into a force (opti for Jon, pessi for us). Wouldve liked him on our list. I'll be happy if we finish above them

I have a really opti/pessimistic feeling that Jon Patton is going to turn the Hawks unfairly back into a force (opti for Jon, pessi for us). Wouldve liked him on our list. I'll be happy if we finish above them

He is a smart gamble for the Hawkes, but Tom Lynch he’s not. Has the turning circle of the Titanic after his recos.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't take too much notice of the results in pre season games but assessing the game plan has left me feeling very optimistic.

I don't think we will finish top four or anything but we will have a game plan that is both exciting to watch but not incredibly frustrating at the same time.

Our new gameplan will have the "duds are stars" effect. You know how you look at other teams and you rate 3 or 4 of their players as average players but the supporters of that club rate them as stars? That's what we are building and I love it. Guys like Townsend, Phillips, Redman, Ridley, BZT, Cutler, Snelling, Begley, Clark (I am not saying they are duds) etc are going to be able to play significant roles in this team without any fan fare. We don't have to wait for all of Laverde, Langford, Mcgrath, Parish and Francis to "break out" when we build a game plan that is sustainable with role players.

Hawthorn, Bulldogs and Richmond have all done this in different ways, its the soldier in, soldier out mentality. We have always had to rely on Daniher, Stringer, Merrett, Shiel, Tipingwuti, Smith, Hooker or Hurley to have a blinder to win. Not anymore, they will still be stars but they become the cherry on top when they play a game out of the box. The base will be laid with a solid gameplan that is sustainable even with lesser lights in the team.

I don't want to tell anyone to how suck eggs as you are all educated football watchers but my understanding of the forward handball is to minimize the impact of a turnover should it occur. When we turn the ball over by foot the opposition can mark and therefore kick with no pressure or pick the ball up in space and then hit a target in our open defence. With our handball it takes the marking option out so the intercepting player has less time, its also closer quarters due to the range of a handball so the intercept player has even less time. What I think we will see a lot is what seems like frantic forward handballing until we either break through opposition defence and score, or the opposition intercepts and we immediately pressure the ball to force another turnover or stoppage. I have a feeling we are focusing on tackling and trying to create stoppages, reset and go again.

Once again the greatest thing about this game plan is we don't need superstars, we just need some grunt. If I am right a player like Redman could become one of our most valuable players which would be laughable for opposition supporters. He wont get 30 possessions a game but he will be in the handball link and create massive pressure on turnover. He will also slice open the opposition defence with his kicking into 50 if given the chance.

I am optimistic we will see a much more sustainable game plan, be less reliant on star players, see a bit of grit with guys like Townsend, Smith, Redman, Snelling, Phillips and most of all get rid of those life sapping turnovers that let opposition sides just walk into goal.

I don't take too much notice of the results in pre season games but assessing the game plan has left me feeling very optimistic.

I don't think we will finish top four or anything but we will have a game plan that is both exciting to watch but not incredibly frustrating at the same time.

Our new gameplan will have the "duds are stars" effect. You know how you look at other teams and you rate 3 or 4 of their players as average players but the supporters of that club rate them as stars? That's what we are building and I love it. Guys like Townsend, Phillips, Redman, Ridley, BZT, Cutler, Snelling, Begley, Clark (I am not saying they are duds) etc are going to be able to play significant roles in this team without any fan fare. We don't have to wait for all of Laverde, Langford, Mcgrath, Parish and Francis to "break out" when we build a game plan that is sustainable with role players.

Hawthorn, Bulldogs and Richmond have all done this in different ways, its the soldier in, soldier out mentality. We have always had to rely on Daniher, Stringer, Merrett, Shiel, Tipingwuti, Smith, Hooker or Hurley to have a blinder to win. Not anymore, they will still be stars but they become the cherry on top when they play a game out of the box. The base will be laid with a solid gameplan that is sustainable even with lesser lights in the team.

I don't want to tell anyone to how suck eggs as you are all educated football watchers but my understanding of the forward handball is to minimize the impact of a turnover should it occur. When we turn the ball over by foot the opposition can mark and therefore kick with no pressure or pick the ball up in space and then hit a target in our open defence. With our handball it takes the marking option out so the intercepting player has less time, its also closer quarters due to the range of a handball so the intercept player has even less time. What I think we will see a lot is what seems like frantic forward handballing until we either break through opposition defence and score, or the opposition intercepts and we immediately pressure the ball to force another turnover or stoppage. I have a feeling we are focusing on tackling and trying to create stoppages, reset and go again.

Once again the greatest thing about this game plan is we don't need superstars, we just need some grunt. If I am right a player like Redman could become one of our most valuable players which would be laughable for opposition supporters. He wont get 30 possessions a game but he will be in the handball link and create massive pressure on turnover. He will also slice open the opposition defence with his kicking into 50 if given the chance.

I am optimistic we will see a much more sustainable game plan, be less reliant on star players, see a bit of grit with guys like Townsend, Smith, Redman, Snelling, Phillips and most of all get rid of those life sapping turnovers that let opposition sides just walk into goal.

Agree on the above; the successful teams now are the ones with a system based gameplan, instead of the rely-on-superstars kind.

Richmond is a great example, Bulldogs play(ed) that way in their premiership year, Hawthorn have done it for a long time.

I see Geelong as a team that seems to rely on their star players, which works given how many they have that can reliably play big games, whereas Richmond / Bulldogs / Hawthorn can grind out wins even when their stars are down. Having a Martin or Bontempelli is what wins them a premiership, as these guys can break a game apart (or Boyd did in the 2016 GF).

If we can build a reliable, system based game plan, we can then grind out wins when our stars are down or just have average games.

I also think the forward-handball type game suits our list given the number of smaller running types we have. Mark - Kick suits a WCE who are fairly tall, or a Hawthorn around 2014 who had fantastic footskills, both having good KPF targets. None of that is a strength of our current list.

Agree on the above; the successful teams now are the ones with a system based gameplan, instead of the rely-on-superstars kind.

Richmond is a great example, Bulldogs play(ed) that way in their premiership year, Hawthorn have done it for a long time.

I see Geelong as a team that seems to rely on their star players, which works given how many they have that can reliably play big games, whereas Richmond / Bulldogs / Hawthorn can grind out wins even when their stars are down. Having a Martin or Bontempelli is what wins them a premiership, as these guys can break a game apart (or Boyd did in the 2016 GF).

If we can build a reliable, system based game plan, we can then grind out wins when our stars are down or just have average games.

I also think the forward-handball type game suits our list given the number of smaller running types we have. Mark - Kick suits a WCE who are fairly tall, or a Hawthorn around 2014 who had fantastic footskills, both having good KPF targets. None of that is a strength of our current list.

Spot on Owen. I really hope we become system based so we don't have to rely on "star" players. Having said that I think we have enough potential match winners who will probably look even better with a solid system based game plan.

I'm alot less excited than previous years but not pessimistic - I'd say I'm feeling realistic, or cautious.

We started the last two seasons with poor match conditioning and a predictable game plan, so I'm sitting back calmly and curious, to see how we start 2020.

Whilst I don't hold too much stark into preseason games, I am pleased with what we've put up and hope we continue to build on it - carn bombers!

Its difficult to see this season not being affected by Covid-19. Beyond possible stadium closures (or no season) there could be some clubs hit much harder than others etc at various times. .

If under any circumstances the season gets shortened and we get everyone fit (Joe back and firing etc) things could get very interesting for us. A flag under these circumstances would be great if only to see people write Essendon*2020 premiership winners*

Its difficult to see this season not being affected by Covid-19. Beyond possible stadium closures (or no season) there could be some clubs hit much harder than others etc at various times. .
Not far off, got this in my email just now:

NBA suspended, Serie A games being played in front of nobody; there's a good chance the AFL will be impacted, given the current rate it's spreading.

Not far off, got this in my email just now:

NBA suspended, Serie A games being played in front of nobody; there's a good chance the AFL will be impacted, given the current rate it's spreading.

Any possibility of placing players in the position where they could infect other players and officials (while we watch) will see a shut down i reckon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem isn’t losing per se. It’s playing with laziness like we’re above playing in a preseason game.

The good players set a standard for themselves every time they step onto the field.

If we put on a good showing and lose to West Coast by 5 points, then no problem. If we get smashed by 80, then that’s a problem.

“It’s just preseason” becomes “it’s just round five” very quickly.
Based on our preseason, I'm feeling cautiously optimistic. Not expecting a top 4 finish or anything, but we seem a lot closer to that final W.

We're building a sustainable brand of football that doesn't heavily rely on our defence to generate scores. We're also building an attacking system that isn't as punishable going the other way. We're not particularly skilled by foot. We're also quick as a side. Forward handballs makes so much sense from the perspective of list composition as turnovers by hand aren't as damaging as turnovers by foot. In time (be it 6-18 months), it will start to become second nature.

I think we've done things the right way.

Our best is brilliant, our worst is atrocious, our in between is below ordinary.
Once again we will be so close but too far away.
Always hopeful, it's my team.

Thought this was a delusional pearler for a moment, but they are actually being reported as favourites in the AFLW....
Even their mens side wouldn't be favorites in the womens league.

I get more optimistic with every less pressure there is.

Us finally getting it all together in a year where there is no guarantee matches go ahead would be peak Essendon

No, the men's as well.
Apparently they're the most used to playing in empty stadiums without any atmosphere...:D

Was just thinking this morning that I already can't wait for a minnow supporter on here to make a post in about 18 months time about how their average crowd is creeping closer to ours and get ridiculed because they've included all the lockouts.

Us finally getting it all together in a year where there is no guarantee matches go ahead would be peak Essendon
Sounds like the type of challenge we would typically rise to.

Back