Opinion Season 2020 - Pessimistic or optimistic?

Are you optimistic or pessimistic about 2020?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

What cultural issues do we have? I definitely agree that it seems to be a huge issue, but as a less tuned in fan I only see problematic results, rather than direct causes. What spseicifc cultural infractions are plaguing the club?

What cultural issues do we have? I definitely agree that it seems to be a huge issue, but as a less tuned in fan I only see problematic results, rather than direct causes. What spseicifc cultural infractions are plaguing the club?
The fact that culture even comes up as a topic, when it should have been the number one focus and priority to fix from top to bottom over the last 5 years, is actually nothing short of devastating...

The fact that culture even comes up as a topic, when it should have been the number one focus and priority to fix from top to bottom over the last 5 years, is actually nothing short of devastating...

Actually (in appearance at least) our culture of softly, softly is probably a product of that period.

Seems we became unwilling to push the bounds of player preparation, made a real effort to be ‘nice’ to players, and have shied away from being ruthless - particularly to senior players - at the selection table.

I used to watch premiership replays until my VHS broke down.
VHS and premiership shouldn't go together :(
(I know you're talking about 93 etc)

Surely our last premiership was at least available on DVD?

Fun (sad) fact. We've never posted highlights of a finals win in real time because youtube didn't exist in 2004 :(

I expect another 10-14 win season but with a lot more consistency round to round. We ought have better defensive shape, and having more seasoned bodies in that 20-24 range bodes well, but key difference for mine will be a forward structure that isn't shaped around a Joey sized hole.

Last edited:
Actually (in appearance at least) our culture of softly, softly is probably a product of that period.

Seems we became unwilling to push the bounds of player preparation, made a real effort to be ‘nice’ to players, and have shied away from being ruthless - particularly to senior players - at the selection table.
Soft culture as in respecting players may not equal immediate winning culture. But it will get there. When it clicks amongst the players that they are playing for Essendon and the talent is there, the culture of winning can only follow.

James Kelly was very good on RSN this morning if you can get a hold of it. Went through process of what they do to implement game plan. Said it’s a few tweaks of last year plan. Also better/more comms between coaches and it’s working well.

James Kelly was very good on RSN this morning if you can get a hold of it. Went through process of what they do to implement game plan. Said it’s a few tweaks of last year plan. Also better/more comms between coaches and it’s working well.
Gotta love pops.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Soft culture as in respecting players may not equal immediate winning culture. But it will get there. When it clicks amongst the players that they are playing for Essendon and the talent is there, the culture of winning can only follow.

I think we've done a good job at retaining players through a difficult period, which suggests our culture is one where players generally seem to want to be around the club and the support is working. What's not working is delivering on-field success, which I can imagine will lead to a few of the guys getting antsy if they think we're in nowhere land.

There seems to be a media obsession about our preseason. Feels like it's every day they come up with a new article about why we'll suck his season. It's a refreshing change from the pervasive optimism of 2019.

Here's the latest article: https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/02...lationship-the-biggest-issue-facing-essendon/

Wonder if they'll get through the day without coming up with another one. Maybe something on McKenna or Joe. Can't wait.

There seems to be a media obsession about our preseason. Feels like it's every day they come up with a new article about why we'll suck his season. It's a refreshing change from the pervasive optimism of 2019.

Here's the latest article: https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/02...lationship-the-biggest-issue-facing-essendon/

Wonder if they'll get through the day without coming up with another one. Maybe something on McKenna or Joe. Can't wait.
I think it’s Bob talking s**t. “Buy into Woosha’s strategies” ...Kelly already said this morning that Rutten and Caracella are in charge of strategy. Also was surprised how well the set up is working.

Tippa in doudt for Round 1 according to Kane Cornes. To be honest he’s 100% right with his assessment.
We had an injury update on Wednesday, and it literally just sounds like he read it tbh. Tippa has a minor calf injury on Monday last week and was back running already two days ago. They expect him to reintegrate with main training over the next two weeks, which means he'll be in main training before our first community series game on the 27th. Our first AFL game is a couple of weeks after that, on the 21st of March. If that's 'in doubt' then sure, but it sounds more like mayo tbh.

And he doesn't like the coaching structure. Funnily enough when Essendon does weird s**t with their coaches and leadership groups, it leaks like a sieve, yet this particular thing we haven't heard anything about it. It's not like it's revolutionary, it's been done a few times before. So while Kane Cornes hates it, and Bob Murphy hates it, and a few people on bigfooty hate it, I'm not sure why we care what they say for the twenty pieces of silver.

Just drama llamas.

Back