Opinion Season 2020 - Pessimistic or optimistic?

Are you optimistic or pessimistic about 2020?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

And I'm saying that losing in pre-season isn't as serious a thing as some make it out to be. There's a happy medium here.
The problem isn’t losing per se. It’s playing with laziness like we’re above playing in a preseason game.

The good players set a standard for themselves every time they step onto the field.

If we put on a good showing and lose to West Coast by 5 points, then no problem. If we get smashed by 80, then that’s a problem.

“It’s just preseason” becomes “it’s just round five” very quickly.

Playing your best means playing your best as a team. The scoreboard tells you how well you’re playing.

The good players set a standard for themselves every time they step onto the field.

Literally posted ~14 minutes apart!

Merrett has his moments, but I'd suggest his general form and application shows that he sets a standard for himself and regardless of scoreboard, strives to reach that standard.

Making a mountain out of a molehill here.

Literally posted ~14 minutes apart!

Merrett has his moments, but I'd suggest his general form and application shows that he sets a standard for himself and regardless of scoreboard, strives to reach that standard.

Making a mountain out of a molehill here.
But my statements aren’t contradictory. The best players play their best every time, which includes doing the team thing.
Merrett was a part of the leadership group. He doesn’t only have to set a standard for himself.

As a leader, you drive the standard and monitor how the team is going.
If you’re message is “don’t look at the scoreboard”, then you’re not really doing your job as a leader. Especially with the knowledge of how flaky we are as a team.

But my statements aren’t contradictory. The best players play their best every time, which includes doing the team thing.
Merrett was a part of the leadership group. He doesn’t only have to set a standard for himself.

As a leader, you drive the standard and monitor how the team is going.
If you’re message is “don’t look at the scoreboard”, then you’re not really doing your job as a leader. Especially with the knowledge of how flaky we are as a team.

Mountain out of a molehill, listen to the interview instead of cherry picking a single sentence.

Most players trained today, Merrett and Zakka full training, Hooker, Draper, Stewart and Heppell in the modified group running well.

Francis full training after his little mishap 2 weeks ago, Hibberd on the bike already, Gown taking part in hand ball drills.

Nigel Lockyer 1st full session.

Starting to come together. Hopefully we get some good news on Joe over the coming weeks.

Mountain out of a molehill, listen to the interview instead of cherry picking a single sentence.
So you think my whole argument is based on that one comment? I used it as an example.
Point is, our attitude was s**t, our effort was s**t and it showed. Merrett was one of the culprits (though he wasn’t alone).

Seems like we're getting close to a full strength squad and still more than a month and a half to the start of the season.

Media still crapping on about us being in the same boat as Melbourne was last pre-season, see Murdoch trash article here (below link will let you see it for free so you don't have to give Newscorp money).

Anyone know how we actually compare to Melbourne at the same point last year?

https://facebook.com/l.php?u=https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/snakes-and-ladders-which-afl-teams-will-rise-and-fall-in-2020/news-story/377705e57d17fdbb522b1c049c1c7ec4

Seems like we're getting close to a full strength squad and still more than a month and a half to the start of the season.

Media still crapping on about us being in the same boat as Melbourne was last pre-season, see Murdoch trash article here (below link will let you see it for free so you don't have to give Newscorp money).

Anyone know how we actually compare to Melbourne at the same point last year?

https://facebook.com/l.php?u=https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/snakes-and-ladders-which-afl-teams-will-rise-and-fall-in-2020/news-story/377705e57d17fdbb522b1c049c1c7ec4

Melbourne had a lot of post season surgeries to key players, to me it looks a lot more like most of ours are being built through the pre-season.

Merrett, Smith, Heppell, Fantasia, Shiel, Hurley are all ones that have been named in the 'modified' group at times, yet I think all will pretty well be 100% fit for Round 1 from where they seem to be now.

3 Coaches is the crux of it. Blake doesn't want to do the media side so fine Woosha does. But how much of a stamp will Ben let Blake have. There in lies the issue. Will he let Blake have his head while still not being the top dog. Woosha is media man only and on the way out, so he will take a back seat.
Pessimistic the 3 of them can work it out.

3 Coaches is the crux of it. Blake doesn't want to do the media side so fine Woosha does. But how much of a stamp will Ben let Blake have. There in lies the issue. Will he let Blake have his head while still not being the top dog. Woosha is media man only and on the way out, so he will take a back seat.
Pessimistic the 3 of them can work it out.

I’m not concerned about this. Caracalla doesn’t want the top job, and Woosha has the humility to play the leadership role in the way he needs to - mentor and keep the communication lines flowing.

The only question mark for me is if Rutten will be any good as a senior coach.

Hey Bombers

I was unsure where to post this so mods, please feel free to move it accordingly.

Our analyst started series on our channel called Analytics Corner where we look at the data available to take a deeper look into the other clubs.

Thought it would be a good discussion point as it's interesting to see what the perception is on the outside.

Cheers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

About right - 7th (i'd say 7th to 10th) with an outside chance of winning a final. We won't worry the top teams because we our mids lack composure and butcher it and our forward line isn't good enough to make up for that. A stagnant side with some good aging talls that will need replacing in the next couple seasons - currently going nowhere.

Hey Bombers

I was unsure where to post this so mods, please feel free to move it accordingly.

Our analyst started series on our channel called Analytics Corner where we look at the data available to take a deeper look into the other clubs.

Thought it would be a good discussion point as it's interesting to see what the perception is on the outside.

Cheers

Thanks for posting. It was worth the listen

Right now I feel like ‘curious’ is the most appropriate word for me rather than pessimistic or optimistic - curious to see how we can go with a new conditioning regime and hopefully having better players on the park more often, curious to see how we go with high profile assistant coaching staff with demonstrated success and a new head coach, curious to see how we do with a reconstructed leadership group, curious to see what difference the addition of harder-edged players like Townsend and Hibberd will make...not necessarily optimistic or pessimistic but curious without the weight of expectation... can’t wait for the season to start :thumbsu: Go Bombers

The problem isn’t losing per se. It’s playing with laziness like we’re above playing in a preseason game.

If we put on a good showing and lose to West Coast by 5 points, then no problem. If we get smashed by 80, then that’s a problem.

“It’s just preseason” becomes “it’s just round five” very quickly.

Right now i agree. We need a decent showing in both games. Last year we where reading our own press and thinking it would just happen and we got blown off the park in round 1. As you say we do not need to win the games but we need a decent performance in both.

The season comes down to a lot of "if" scenarios.
We know Joe will not be a factor for a while if at all this season.Maybe we should have been listening to Worsfold as every comment he has made has been about a long term come back.
So it comes down to us being able to play with a small forward line. One one front having Walla, McKenna, Dev Smith and co giving us a bit more pressure but we will not be able to just bomb the footy in like we did last year
We will need players to step up. McGrath and Parish simply have to go to very good midfielder level.
Francis has to improve again.
We need to get the best from Ridley.
Devon Smith needs to be back to his best.
Dylan Shiel has to sort his kicking.
Townsend has to be playing well enough to be putting pressure on Laverde and Begley to be the players the have promised to be.
We need Cutler to work. If we can get him going on a wing it provides a big body at the stoppages that can block. May not be the ball winner but he can do similar work to what Stringer does in the centre bounces.
We will also need one or two others to jump up and take a couple of steps forward.
On the game plan front,team defence needs to continue improving. Spread from the contest needs to find a massive improvement and use of the ball into the forward half has to be 150% better.
It could happen but a lot of things have to go right.

350.png

The abysmal JLT campaign of 2019 and the insight that gave us is a bit fresh for me to be able to claim any optimism before seeing the players play.

What gives me hope is that the media from the club has been minimal. No Zaharakis ministry of propaganda talking about the quality of our list is positive.

Maybe I've been paying less attention but it feels like the club has finally eaten some humble pie.

Hey Bombers

Cheers

I expect improvement from Parish this year, but doubt he'll be good enough to play 2 positions

The abysmal JLT campaign of 2019 and the insight that gave us is a bit fresh for me to be able to claim any optimism before seeing the players play.

What gives me hope is that the media from the club has been minimal. No Zaharakis ministry of propaganda talking about the quality of our list is positive.

Maybe I've been paying less attention but it feels like the club has finally eaten some humble pie.

You are not on your own. Seems to be a lot less media.

Yep I agree. We've had much less media attention because of it. We seem to be doing the work (from what I can see) without hyping ourselves every chance we get. Have Worsfold/Rutten/Caracella even appeared to talk about the learnings?

Back