Prediction Semi Final: Changes Vs Collingwood (We survived to round 2!)

Remove this Banner Ad

the Fyfe dilemma is a very hard one. I maintain that it will be hard to carry Fyfe as he is, and if we go deep into finals, it will be because our team is performing well on weight of numbers and their connection. Not sure that it would be worth risking the chance to win one by bringing an underdone Fyfe for the last game of the year if we we lucky enough to get there.

next year, with a full pre-season and the opportunity to bed in whatever will be his new role in the team, he’ll make us stronger. right now, I feel about him the same way I do about tabs, wary.

Do the AFL consider what team is playing when working out the finals fixture?
You'd think they wouldn't let a team that resides in WA finish at 10pm, thus making it impossible to get home quickly and get the same recovery time as everyone else for the prelim. (Should they win).

One only needs to take note from Collingwood's misfortune with Adams to know that Fyfe should not play. Fyfe rushing into a final underdone is likely to end in serious injury.

Do the right thing by his career, resist the temptation, begin his preseason planning now.
Fyfe will have a lot to say about being picked if he gets the all-clear from medical though. match committee will have final say, but it’s very unclear whether they consider him an automatic inclusion in the light of current circumstances.

You'd think they wouldn't let a team that resides in WA finish at 10pm, thus making it impossible to get home quickly and get the same recovery time as everyone else for the prelim. (Should they win).
Not when it’s Freo 😂🙄! I think that there was one night game we played that they stayed in Melbs overnight and did recovery session at St Kilda, so the Club probably has contingency plans for that.

I know what you're suggesting but his field kicking is ok. It's his goal-kicking that is the issue. I wouldn't mind them ignoring him so much, if there was a better option, but there wasn't/

I only recall two incidents but they were both screamingly obvious. Shultz missed him on the 50m boundary - wide open. Instead went long to Amiss in pack situation.

Lobb missed him when Logue ran past. Continued to ignore him. BUT Lobb went back and slotted the goal.

I only recall two incidents but they were both screamingly obvious. Shultz missed him on the 50m boundary - wide open. Instead went long to Amiss in pack situation.

Lobb missed him when Logue ran past. Continued to ignore him. BUT Lobb went back and slotted the goal.
pretty sure there were 2 on the hff. Certainly wouldn't want Lobb handing off to Logue inside 50. Unless it was a joe the goose.
Bit concerned about Moore, Murpy, Maynard, Howe. Need to keep some mongrel in the forwardline next week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the last match report:
"When they did go forward, Darcy Moore and Jeremy Howe were significant factors in the game, intercepting the Dockers' entries and frustrating their opponents, who were starved of opportunities in the first half." "Howe and Darcy Moore were a thorn in the Dockers' side and a big reason for the Magpies' win."
Add Maynard to that too....
Its for that reason that I like the idea of a forward line of Tabs, Lobb, Logue and Amiss.....
Logue can play as a defensive forward on Moore or Maynard....make them accountable....he has the speed to nullify their run out of defense.
I dont care if he doesnt get a single possession as long has he has 600 spoils and chases like a madman.
That forward line would be a headache for their defense....just need one of the other 3 to bust the game open.
Anchor Tabs in the goal square for the high entries and let Amiss lead up the ground.
As for who comes out for Tabs, I have no idea.....

Last edited:
the Fyfe dilemma is a very hard one. I maintain that it will be hard to carry Fyfe as he is, and if we go deep into finals, it will be because our team is performing well on weight of numbers and their connection. Not sure that it would be worth risking the chance to win one by bringing an underdone Fyfe for the last game of the year if we we lucky enough to get there.

next year, with a full pre-season and the opportunity to bed in whatever will be his new role in the team, he’ll make us stronger. right now, I feel about him the same way I do about tabs, wary.

If Fyfe passes a fitness test he'll be in the 22 IMO.

Imagine Fyfe is ready to go, isn't selected, and 1 of our starting onballers is concussed and subbed for Banfield in the first quarter.

From the last match report:
"When they did go forward, Darcy Moore and Jeremy Howe were significant factors in the game, intercepting the Dockers' entries and frustrating their opponents, who were starved of opportunities in the first half." "Howe and Darcy Moore were a thorn in the Dockers' side and a big reason for the Magpies' win."
Add Maynard to that too....
Its for that reason that I like the idea of a forward line of Tabs, Lobb, Logue and Amiss.....
Logue can play as a defensive forward on Moore or Maynard....make them accountable....he has the speed to nullify their run out of defense.
I dont care if he doesnt get a single possession as long has he has 600 spoils and chases like a madman.
That forward line would be a headache for their defense....just need one of the other 3 to bust the game open.
Anchor Tabs in the goal square for the high entries and let Amiss lead up the ground.
As for who comes out for Tabs, I have no idea.....

Too tall on a wet night in Melbourne. If we don't mark it there will be limited forward pressure.

Walters, Freddy and Switta got us back in the game Saturday with their forward pressure.

One only needs to take note from Collingwood's misfortune with Adams to know that Fyfe should not play. Fyfe rushing into a final underdone is likely to end in serious injury.

Do the right thing by his career, resist the temptation, begin his preseason planning now.

Adams had a serious groin issue though and was experiencing discomfort.

If Fyfe has a standard 21 day hamstring and passes a fitness test he's potentially ready for a prelim and should be 100% the week after if the planets align and we get there.

Channel 7 pay hundreds of millions to show the games in the timeslots that suit them.

Difficult one. Tabs looked a fair way off it in the Peel game, but was on managed minutes and probably not going at 100% considering the score and the injury risk. Tracey looked pretty good and Sturt was very good in the first half.

However, I think Tabs has the experience and the size to make a difference in the forward line, and we will need a score to beat the Pies. So for me, it's Tabs in and Logue to the bench - he is versatile enough that he can cover a forward or a defender (or a mid?) if required.

If everyone pulls up OK that's the only change I'd contemplate. I'm a huge Fyfe fan, but I'm not sure he improves the side if he comes in and that should be the only selection criteria in my eyes.

Whatever about Tabs coming in or not…
If we win and Fyfe is passed fit to go for the following week against Sydney - he’s playing. 100% cast iron certainty. Somebody will come out.
Anyone who thinks a fit Nat Fyfe is going to sit in the stand beside Bob Murphy watching a prelim final has got rocks in their heads.
Is there even one example in AFL history of that type of situation, where an A grader was passed fit for a prelim or grand final and then sat in the stands to “not upset team balance”?
For prelim and grand finals, the superstars are taped up and injected with painkillers at 50% fitness, never mind full fitness.

Side ain't changing. Unless injuries. Please please N'OD ...

Sydney provided the blueprint to beat (both Freo &) Pies. The question is which team can apply those lessons. I reckon Fremantle have more strings to their bow and can adjust. Doesnt mean we will win as there is travel and home ground advantage to consider but can we win. Definitely. Most definitely we are capable of beating the Pies. Freo by <19 ...

I know this ain’t going to happen and there probably would be a lot that would disagree but it would be awesome if fyfe stood down as captain this week to focus on just getting on the track a playing footy and handed the ropes to brayshaw going into this huge game. To see him leading the team out onto the g would be amazing.

Side ain't changing. Unless injuries. Please please N'OD ...

Sydney provided the blueprint to beat (both Freo &) Pies. The question is which team can apply those lessons. I reckon Fremantle have more strings to their bow and can adjust. Doesnt mean we will win as there is travel and home ground advantage to consider but can we win. Definitely. Most definitely we are capable of beating the Pies. Freo by <19 ...
Freo allowed Sydney to go 1v1 and was butchered through the middle. Was surprised JL didn’t send Aish to Warner.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back