Preview Semi Final - Geelong vs GWS, Fri 3 Sept @ 1950 (AEST), Optus Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last Friday night was s**t with a repeat performance is what no one wants to see, and we get the chance to turn things around against a team that's had the better of us over recent seasons. GWS have won the last 3 clashes between the 2 sides, but for the first time since 2017 we get a rematch within the same season

We know there'll be at least one change with O'Connor being subbed out with hamstring injury - so having been seen as one of the durable players on our list who hadn't seen to have missed a match through injury in previous seasons, following his first hamstring injury against WCE he just didn't seem to get things right over the back half of the season

The question is, will O'Connor be the only change or will the MC make a few other cuts

And if anyone wants to write up a longer preview, have at it and we'll bump it up in the thread

Last edited by a moderator:
There's such a feeling of indifference for me this week. On one hand I feel like it's a rinse and repeat of 2020 - lose in week one, bounce back and smash week two's opponent. GWS appear to be .. 'weak'? as are we. This game could very well come down to the mentality.

Geelong are such a Jekkyl & Hyde side.. have been for quite some time.

Given lockdown, I'll likely be sat on the couch without any mates to watch it with and wondering whether I should get excited or not.

But.. as always, GO CATS!

I don't know I'm just struggling to get motivated for the result of this game.

Either we win and then get destroyed by Melbourne or we lose and have to face the embarrassment of a straight sets exit.

I can't see any way we can turn our form around and have any legitimate crack at a flag from here.

We are in hot form having won 1 game out of our last 4 games, we have played the worst footy for the hole year out of top 8,so anything could happen
Let's hope that we've hit bottom and the only way is up. I still hope that we can channel whatever it is that the Hawks had going for them in 2015. That was a remarkable effort and a group that really zoned in after comprehensively losing to WC in the first final.

Let's hope that we've hit bottom and the only way is up. I still hope that we can channel whatever it is that the Hawks had going for them in 2015. That was a remarkable effort and a group that really zoned in after comprehensively losing to WC in the first final.
Yes or we could be 2016 side that just rolled over in straight sets, But i think they will play good this week then fold the week after

I don't know I'm just struggling to get motivated for the result of this game.

Either we win and then get destroyed by Melbourne or we lose and have to face the embarrassment of a straight sets exit.

I can't see any way we can turn our form around and have any legitimate crack at a flag from here.

What makes you think we'll get smashed by Melbourne?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out: O'Connor
In: Tuohy

Also wouldn't be surprised to see Higgins & Zuth come into the side, for maybe Simpson and someone else that I'm not sure of at this stage

Enter Esava. Step aside Gary Rohan - it's time for the Sav-in-batter to make his return!

SAV in batter.gif

Last year we felt more settled as a side and we really were ready to take on finals. Poor kicking prevented us from winning last year against Port.

We were scared and run off the park against Port this time around. This year has a different feeling.

Similar opponent to SF last year. A team that has consistently beaten us in recent times coming off an upset win with some injuries. We should win but it feels as though we are on our last petrol tickets this year and we keep stacking up the injuries.

It's anyone's game, even without Greene they can beat us, they did with half the team out in Geelong a few weeks ago!
Out: O'Connor (Injured)
Dahlhaus (Omitted)
Dangerfield (injured) Fractured hand

In: Tuohy
Ratagolea
Holmes

* Narkle?

2nd year in a row we will play a Semi final with our opponent coming off a 1 point elimination final win.

I say change up the structure.

In Tuohy and Esava
Out O'Connor and Dahlaus

Blicvas perma back. Esava split time with Stanley in ruck/deep fwd.

Can anyone honestly hold their hand on heart and say that the club would drop Rohan?

Ain't gonna happen.
Add to that Dahlhaus being omitted - feels more like a personal preference rather than what the MC is likely to do

I get that both those guys are polarising, but in terms of team selection this week, I'd be more surprised to see "omitted" beside either of their name compared with say Cooper Stephens making his debut

Have very little confidence here. But then again, we might smash them, and then capitulate to melbourne the week after. Just don't know what you are going to get from this side.

Addy suggesting up to 4 changes may be made. Tuohy a straight swap for MOC which is a no-brainer, but also suggesting Holmes, Sav, Narkle or Zuth could come in.

Edit. Henderson also out for me. (Yes baby with the bath water)

Meat tray.

Out: O'Connor, Dahlhaus, Higgins, Henderson
In: Holmes, Esava, Narkle, Z Guthrie

Agree with this, with Touhy also to be added.

Danger shouldn't be playing with a smashed hand, but I guess an injured, not-quite-right Danger is seen as better than nothing. If so, then we need to play him as a goal-kicking forward, close to goal. He's just a liability with the ball in the midfield, dropping sitters and kicking bombs in hope.

I'd bring in Narkle to replace Danger, who moves forward for Rohan, who is either dropped, or moves to the backline for the dropped Henderson. rather he be dropped, but I doubt it'll happen.

Would also like to see Miers expressly told to stay closer to goal and just go for it. Don't give damn about his endurance and running ability - we're not kicking goals and lack a dedicated small forward. He needs to be the kid to just let rip and take shots from anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back