Traded Spangher & pick 72 to Hawthorn for pick 66

Remove this Banner Ad

Donners

Cancelled
Ex-Moderator
Sep 1, 2002
AFL Club
Sydney
Rather strange one. He's been injured for his two seasons at Sydney, but we don't have an abundance of key position players.

lolwut.jpg

Would've been inclined to hold him one more season. The bloke was killing it toward the end of 2011 season and many had him as a best 22 starter for this season. Just unlucky with injury.
Hawthorn get a half decent depth player costing bugga all for nix. We've had Everitt+Spangher and this may have been brewing for awhile basis Tippett. May have already "packed his bags" despite whats happened.
Every trade you do cant be a star...when fit he's no mug. Becoming a bit of a journeyman.

Would've been inclined to hold him one more season. The bloke was killing it toward the end of 2011 season and many had him as a best 22 starter for this season. Just unlucky with injury.
Hawthorn get a half decent depth player costing bugga all for nix. We've had Everitt+Spangher and this may have been brewing for awhile basis Tippett. May have already "packed his bags" despite whats happened.
Every trade you do cant be a star...when fit he's no mug. Becoming a bit of a journeyman.

Given that we paid pick 73 for him, I suppose this could be regarded as a slight profit. Still odd when we don't have much in the way of key defenders (though we used him as a forward).

I don't know the Sydney team all that well, but who have they got for depth in the back 50 with Spangher no longer there?
Nobody

I don't know the Sydney team all that well, but who have they got for depth in the back 50 with Spangher no longer there?
Key posts - LRT would be the first option to switch back, just as he did in the ADE qualifying final when Grundy was suspended. Walsh would be the other one, the club has always been keen to push the line that he can be used at either end of the ground, but he didn't play much in defence in the NEAFL this year.
Non-key posts - Armstrong who was unluckily squeezed out mid-year, Brown, Lockyer but more likely in future years plus Biggs, Gordon and Meredith have played there a bit in the reserves (assuming they don't get delisted)

The three in the best 22 are Grundy, Richards and LRT. Johnson may be able to take on that role in a year or two; I believe he has been bulking up. Aside from that, really nobody unless we plan to send Everitt or Walsh back, or hope that Lockyer or Brown develop very quickly over the off-season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spangher hardly played in defence for the Swans. His handful of senior games were as a forward (where he was moderately effective) and he played all but the first few of his 2011 reserves games also in the forward line. Very hard to see how he'll break into the Hawks' forward line so they are presumably looking at him as a back-up defender.

Could be a handy player at a lower club if he gets his body right but does seem like a strange move for him to go to such a strong club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back