Autopsy Swans vs Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

I was actually criticizing Longmire for supressing his natural football instincts by playing in a role that didn't use his full ability this year. He was off the leash yesterday clearly.

That's how it looked to me. He had been given a slightly different role and he took to it. We will see next week.
Id love to see Aiir back next week. Jones and Aliir breaking line and creating chaos for the opposition

It wasn't top shelf opposition and there wasn't a lot of defensive pressure from the Lions but the most important take away was that the Swans looked like a team rather than 22 blokes that just met each other before the game like they did against the Pies and the Blues. Structures held up well and everyone worked for each other, pressured the opposition and, most importantly, were intimidating again and defended their mates when called for.

- Melican and Marsh looked really good and hope they can both cement a spot as our backline evolves.
- Towers had a really good game I thought. He's been a whipping boy but I'd take him any day of the week over Foote based on today's performance.
- Jones has become the line breaker we need and the player that we'd all hope Rohan might be for us. Run those tapes Gary and take a good look at Jones' work.
- Buddy. Nuff said.
- McVeigh. Didn't rack up big numbers but helped settle things down back when the pressure was on. I never got why people potted him for pointing. Long may he point.
- Sinclair wasn't terrible. Didn't set the world on fire but took his grabs when they there. Gotta throw the guy a bone since I generally trash him. Having a second ruckman really helped him and Naismith had a good game to complement him. (Still want a look at Cameron in seniors)

Dislikes:

- Backline is still leaky. We gave the Lions too may easy looks at goal and should have won by more considering our periods of dominance. We ran the ball out of defence with a lot more purpose and I think that was a positive but also rushed it and turned the ball over with some poor options. I love Grundy and Smith but the young guys are picking better options than some of the clangers they are dishing out. If we can clean that up we'll look a far better team.
I think this is a perceptive post, and I mostly agree. Viva La Gong!
However: Harry Cunningham played well (2 goals) and deserves acknowledgement. Sorry, but Darcy Cameron hasn't done enough yet in the Two's to warrant promotion. Nick Smith, we all love, but on this season's form, shouldn't be keeping Newman out.

I think this is a perceptive post, and I mostly agree. Viva La Gong!
However: Harry Cunningham played well (2 goals) and deserves acknowledgement. Sorry, but Darcy Cameron hasn't done enough yet in the Two's to warrant promotion. Nick Smith, we all love, but on this season's form, shouldn't be keeping Newman out.
God's country!

Agree with you on Harry. Got into all the right spots and had the freedom to run and carry. Also liked his defensive pressure a lot more.

Watched Cameron in the pre-season and liked his hands but haven't watched him in the magoos so will take your word on that one.

I've been defending Smith a lot on here but I'm starting to waver. He's riding on reputation right now but he's going to have to lift but he just looks to have dropped a level in pace and decision making. Grundy also but we're not flush with KPDs with Aliir on thin ice and Talia not stamping his name on a run in seniors so I don't see Reg getting dropped.

Desperately need Rampe back and honestly need to settle into a regular back six. One of our strengths was having a really good settled back six who could read the game well collectively and knew each other's games back to front but they are just out of sync and making some very poor exits from the back 50.

That's hilarious. Marsh must've been tiptoeing around like a cat burglar.

"No, no Aliir, you're just having a bad dream. That's it, back to beddy byes."
We agree on one thing...Jones playing a greater Midfield role. Jones and Buddy were the standouts against Brisbane

Jones has been solid all year, but on the weekend he was relishing the challenge and playing with instructions to run and bust a line

He was playing defense for so long because there wasn't a mid field role for him because we had a surfeit or performing talent there the last couple of years.
See I think he's always had the licence to break the lines but he was far more successful on Sunday with the team supporting each other and the defence better organised. Confidence breeds confidence. Look at how Smith's game picked up. With Rampe back we should go up another notch, and we'll need to.

Horse has often tuned his new charges with a sting down back. It makes sense given we rely on our mids to bolster our defence so much. Too many one direction players get caught out in today's game. So much play starts off half back. It also takes a good few pre-seasons before players have the tank to run both ways, hard, all game and Jones is looking like he's a genuine senior player these days instead of just a talented, hard-working boy learning the ropes. Interestingly, a year or two ago I posted that Jones could be as good as his brother and was jeered for the comment. We may be low on depth due to a few guys taking big chunks of pay but our development is still one of the best, starting with Shaw's work in the NEAFL.

See I think he's always had the licence to break the lines but he was far more successful on Sunday with the team supporting each other and the defence better organised. Confidence breeds confidence. Look at how Smith's game picked up. With Rampe back we should go up another notch, and we'll need to.

Horse has often tuned his new charges with a sting down back. It makes sense given we rely on our mids to bolster our defence so much. Too many one direction players get caught out in today's game. So much play starts off half back. It also takes a good few pre-seasons before players have the tank to run both ways, hard, all game and Jones is looking like he's a genuine senior player these days instead of just a talented, hard-working boy learning the ropes. Interestingly, a year or two ago I posted that Jones could be as good as his brother and was jeered for the comment. We may be low on depth due to a few guys taking big chunks of pay but our development is still one of the best, starting with Shaw's work in the NEAFL.
So we take 17 running bounces in one game and we had 21 in the previous six. Just a coincidence. Or just confidence? Longmire took the strait jacket off and Jones in particular responded. Playing Buddy as a forward was a nice touch as well

So we take 17 running bounces in one game and we had 21 in the previous six. Just a coincidence. Or just confidence? Longmire took the strait jacket off and Jones in particular responded. Playing Buddy as a forward was a nice touch as well
I don't think the instructions were any different. The players did what they've been trying to do for the best part of this year. Don't under-estimate how hard it is to stick to a well-rehearsed game plan when there are so many young players in a team. When the whole pre-season is spent in rehearsal, it's pretty hard to change the script when a bunch of actors go down and the replacements struggle to remember their lines. The upside is we are coming good, getting some guys back, the team is starting to gel and we've blooded a lot of new players. With a fully fit team we'd expect to see more of the style we saw in the semi and prelim finals. Not because it's a different game plan, but because we have the ability to execute it.

At the A League grand final.

True.

Also avoiding the Moore park cluster* created by the GF being on 1 hour after the Swans played.

That said,

25k was double and even triple every NRL crowd in Sydney this weekend.

It was a good crowd. Bandwagon talk is garbage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How do you know he slept in? Why do you assume he was desultory? There could be other reasons rather than a cultural stereotype. Yes why don't we put him in the reserves and publicly humiliate him some more where he can keep Newman and Dawson company as we all await the retirement of one or two venerable veterans as they play out their contracts. Aliir is an outstanding talent and to unfavourably compare him to Melican and Marsh is harsh also
That was what was reported on twitter by AFL reporters.

Last edited:
Just watched Horse's press briefing. Big wraps on Jones and Heeny. Particularly liked that he singled out their influence on younger players. Hope many others are thinking they could be just as good if they show the same attitude. It's pretty clear Florent's not ready yet but he'll be very good after a few years. The next generation looks to be in good hands.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back