Autopsy Swans vs Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Nothing too exciting for me. We have far more established talent than the Lions and should have won by as much as we did. Just glad to see a win finally.

McVeigh definitely provided a steady presence and was a welcome return. Marsh is gonna take some unseating for his spot, becoming a really dependable defender. Florent did another 2 or 3 reallt good things but I'm not sold he's ready just yet for seniors. Robinson would be my HFF preference over him when he's fit.

Parker and Hannebery showed a bit of their best form but good lord is their kicking bad. Might just be our two least dependable kicks outside of the rucks and Grundy.

Bud, Jones, Heeney easily our best, all three with dynamic and very athletic performances. We need those three badly to be a good side. Thought Cunningham played a good game for the most part bit he continues to either be unselfish to a fault or, as is my suspicion, he continues to not have full confidence in his own ability. He had 4 opportunities to line up a goal from 40m or beyond and on each opportunity decided to pass off. I want to see him be confident and nail those goals. If he does that consistently he can be a real asset with his pace and tackling and usually good skills. He's improving finally but he's gotta be selfish once or twice for his own good. Uncontested runs inside 50 with his foot are made for him on paper at least.

Last edited:
He actually once again slowed us down coming out of defence. With Grundy, Smith and McVeigh we have the slowest back three in the comp. He gets most of his kicks off the back of the pack. These possessions are on his call. If getting soft possessions off the back of a pack is leadership I will give it away. He slows down any momentum coming out of defence by consistently on his call having the ball turned back towards our goals where he fannies around before always going onto his right foot. A smart coach will hunt him at the back of the pack. Looser than Lady Gaga's knickers also with his opponent. When Rampe gets back he must be superannuated off to the reserves. Apparently he has a clause in his contract that says he mustn't be humbled by playing reserves. I doubt his aged legs will last the season anyway. He fumbled under pressure (not that there was a lot on offer yesterday) and missed tackles. He simply cant run at speed. I would suggest you focus on his running when you see the replay. He will be found out next week. Its a disgrace that a kid who is playing good footy in the reserves was dropped for him.
No, I can't agree at all. You're judging him like he's an athlete, when he's a footballer. Besides, a good kick goes a lot faster than a runner.

Of course he will eventually retire but some of our best players are comparatively slow. Heck, almost all AFL players are slow when compared to top runners. Converesly, as AFL players many very good runners suck. Hiscox (is a good example)

You are a McVeigh fan. I am attempting some analysis.
I know you're attempting some analysis and I wish you every success but stop analysing players just for their running ability. It's football, not athletics. None of these guys could go up against a top runner.

BTW. I'm not pro or anti-Macca. Why would I be pro or anti-anyone ? I see it as I see it and if you see it differently that's cool too.

I know you're attempting some analysis and I wish you every success but stop analysing players just for their running ability. It's football, not athletics. None of these guys could go up against a top runner.

BTW. I'm not pro or anti-Macca. Why would I be pro or anti-anyone ? I see it as I see it and if you see it differently that's cool too.
He is gone too slow and as I said yesterday Fawlty has gone past him.

Horse had him in defence for the same reason he used (thank god no more) play Buddy on the wing. A defense risk averse strategy. Yesterday we unlocked some of the initiative and brilliance that has been suppressed under a defence first game plan that served so well for years but today is beatable. Jones was let off the leash in the midfield and Buddy became a key position forward again. Brilliant and who would have thought
We played the same game plan which we have all season. In fact we played even more defensive, there was very little risk in our kicks and we'd often look to go wide or backwards without our regular long bomb.

Buddy played where he always does but our midfield wasn't under pressure as much so we didn't drag Buddy as often up the ground. Bringing Buddy up the ground is not about defence first it's about getting one of the best players into the game

McVeigh definitely provided a steady presence and was a welcome return. Marsh is gonna take some unseating for his spot, becoming a really dependable defender. Florent did another 2 or 3 reallt good things but I'm not sold he's ready just yet for seniors. Robinson would be my HFF preference over him when he's fit.
Agreed Florent just isn't ready for senior footy yet. He's clearly a talent but doesn't contribute enough to be in the team. Dawson is playing well week in and out and I'd rather him in that role for now.

We played the same game plan which we have all season. In fact we played even more defensive, there was very little risk in our kicks and we'd often look to go wide or backwards without our regular long bomb.

Buddy played where he always does but our midfield wasn't under pressure as much so we didn't drag Buddy as often up the ground. Bringing Buddy up the ground is not about defence first it's about getting one of the best players into the game

Nooooo.....stop making sense
200.gif

Once again there is no doubting Jones game today but it was his first top line performance of the year and against Brisbane. You also have absolutely no idea or way of knowing that he wasn't given the same 'license' against Port, Bulldogs, Pies, Eagles, Giants and Carlton so your statement is just baseless comment clutching at straws as a means to suit your argument.

I totally disagree with your opinion on Sam's best position, I think his best role is as a full-time forward like he played in R1 & R2 where he kicked 3 and 6 goals respectively in a forward combination with Buddy that after those 2 rounds had most posters on the board including perennial Reid haters Punts and TheKing! salivating at the future if only we could sort out the midfield. Since then he has been he has been asked by the coaching group to play a much more of a swingman FWD/RUCK/DEF role which he has done more than adequately for the greater good of the team, it sometimes pays to look past the stat sheet to assessing someone's performance but that doesn't generally suit the argument against Reid.

Despite all the bravado and scepticism of his past performances and injuries, basically the Reid haters just think he is overpaid and will continue to look past the true value, adaptability and flexibility he actually brings to the team structure as whole.

Seems like you are a jones hater

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's be fair and give due credit to the better games by:
- Cunningham
- Sinclair
- Towers

Zak Jones looked jet-propelled. On the whole, a much more committed effort from the entire team.

Aliir Aliir, mate get your headspace right, we need you!

I'm growing more and more appreciative of Heeney for what he provides outside of purely on-field attributes. He speaks clearly and openly to the media without falling into cliches like some of our senior guys do and he always seems to be one of the first in to back up a player when they're getting grief from an opponent. He just seems to be constantly involved with it. Jones and Mills too.

The three of them are our next batch of really good leaders. Let's hope Jones stays around.

We desperately need someone to take the kick ins.
Macca doesn't have the length.
Lloyd neither , plus he makes bad decisions.
Mills?
There were a few times yesterday that had horrible indecision written all over them.

The Aliir thing is just another bizarre event for our season. I very much doubt he comes back this week, he didn't play at all this weekend and we won convincingly with his replacement Marsh (a valued player too) performing well. I reckon he'll have a week in the reserves.
I think he's picked a very inopportune time to sleep in. With Marsh and Melican playing well, and Rampe due to return soon, he will struggle to get a place back in the seniors if everyone is fit. Newman is also knocking on the backline door with some great NEAFL performances.

I think he's picked a very inopportune time to sleep in. With Marsh and Melican playing well, and Rampe due to return soon, he will struggle to get a place back in the seniors if everyone is fit. Newman is also knocking on the backline door with some great NEAFL performances.
What's happening with Leonardis Grim? He was touted as the Mal replacement.

Agreed. It could be the best thing for him. A sustained run in the reserves will allow him to provide week after week of excellent performances like he did last year, when he could no longer be ignored. He's been nowhere near that form so far this year.

For all the talk about sticking up for each other - and for the most part we did - was a bit disappointed to see Deano getting bashed around at every stoppage without much intervention.

A minor quibble but he definitely copped a few short ones.

For all the talk about sticking up for each other - and for the most part we did - was a bit disappointed to see Deano getting bashed around at every stoppage without much intervention.

A minor quibble but he definitely copped a few short ones.

He was copping it from Nick Robertson - seems like a fiery character - all day but he was giving it back from what I saw.

He lives with Harrison Marsh.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back