Autopsy Swans vs Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Really really? have you watched us the first 6 weeks we were pinpointing kicks out there unlike anything we have done this season.

I mean sure we are still 1-6 but that was a vastly improved performance.
Still not iur best, many sloppy possesions and a few brain farts. A better opposition wouldve made it a closer game

Once again there is no doubting Jones game today but it was his first top line performance of the year and against Brisbane. You also have absolutely no idea or way of knowing that he wasn't given the same 'license' against Port, Bulldogs, Pies, Eagles, Giants and Carlton so your statement is just baseless comment clutching at straws as a means to suit your argument.

I totally disagree with your opinion on Sam's best position, I think his best role is as a full-time forward like he played in R1 & R2 where he kicked 3 and 6 goals respectively in a forward combination with Buddy that after those 2 rounds had most posters on the board including perennial Reid haters Punts and TheKing! salivating at the future if only we could sort out the midfield. Since then he has been he has been asked by the coaching group to play a much more of a swingman FWD/RUCK/DEF role which he has done more than adequately for the greater good of the team, it sometimes pays to look past the stat sheet to assessing someone's performance but that doesn't generally suit the argument against Reid.

Despite all the bravado and scepticism of his past performances and injuries, basically the Reid haters just think he is overpaid and will continue to look past the true value, adaptability and flexibility he actually brings to the team structure as whole.
Good post but with regard to his (Jones) performance, it was his best...of a very good season that Longmire was very happy to state in his presser!

Once again there is no doubting Jones game today but it was his first top line performance of the year and against Brisbane. You also have absolutely no idea or way of knowing that he wasn't given the same 'license' against Port, Bulldogs, Pies, Eagles, Giants and Carlton so your statement is just baseless comment clutching at straws as a means to suit your argument.

I totally disagree with your opinion on Sam's best position, I think his best role is as a full-time forward like he played in R1 & R2 where he kicked 3 and 6 goals respectively in a forward combination with Buddy that after those 2 rounds had most posters on the board including perennial Reid haters Punts and TheKing! salivating at the future if only we could sort out the midfield. Since then he has been he has been asked by the coaching group to play a much more of a swingman FWD/RUCK/DEF role which he has done more than adequately for the greater good of the team, it sometimes pays to look past the stat sheet to assessing someone's performance but that doesn't generally suit the argument against Reid.

Despite all the bravado and scepticism of his past performances and injuries, basically the Reid haters just think he is overpaid and will continue to look past the true value, adaptability and flexibility he actually brings to the team structure as whole.

Reid's actually returned to form IMO. A few good games where he plays out of his skin, followed by his usual tripe where he shows zero body strength or intensity. All he needs now is an injury that can be used as an excuse and this will be the average Reid year.

Jones was BOG today and great to watch. Before the season he was looking like he was the answer that was going to make the Mitchell loss a non event. Other than in patches I've been disappointed with him unfairly due to that pre season expectation. If he can start bringing today's game consistently then his value to the team and price on his head will soar.
I actually think he's been one of our best players all year. Works hard up and down the ground, and has had a huge workload with the loss of Rampe.

I hope we re-sign him soon.

Damn those last two goals. My prediction of a 42 point margin (from my dream) was looking good. Alas, I must have woken 40 seconds before the end of the dream. Seriously, good job boys. We're only a few games outside the 8 with 15 games to play. Let's go from here.

Reid's actually returned to form IMO. A few good games where he plays out of his skin, followed by his usual tripe where he shows zero body strength or intensity. All he needs now is an injury that can be used as an excuse and this will be the average Reid year.
Reid did what he has to do, though I'd prefer he was forward. But when Buddy is on he clears space for the big man. He links up in the middle, gives an outlet on the wing and he stiffens us up down back. Quality of possessions matters more than quantity. Reid pays his way. Look at their goals from turnovers. Hanners, Parker are still our main shankers by foot. Macca didn't get a lot of the ball either but he made a huge difference to the team. Straight kicking wins every time.

I have been bagging out Sam Reid for almost 5 years now.

One of the best players to date this season? You are 'avin a lend me old china!

He played two good games at the start of this season.

Still... After 5 years development, 2 good games is an achievement.

Says it all. Sam has been solid through the bad times and plied his trade all over the ground. Even today he was working to give Buddy space and draw defenders. Reid's quality.

We've got the ability to go on a run. They're aren't really any gimme games this season but if we bring the same intensity we'll be able to neat any side in the comp. We can be on the cusp of the 8 in 5 rounds if all goes well, and from there anything can happen.

Have we signed Jones on a 5 year deal yet.

Interesting that we Win and have a 6 page thread. Lose and its 60 pages.
I think it was Brereton who made the comment (to paraphrase) "20-odd years where their team has only missed the finals once and those poor Swans fans have had to endure a whole 6 losses". Much as I dislike the guy, I agree with the sentiment. Some fans have grown fat on so much gravy.

Jones was given a license today and some freedom he hasn't had this season. His runs today were the type of thing that could turn a game.
Add in Aliir when he has served his time in the naughty corner and suddenly we have some explosive busting the lines from defence and the midfield.

Sam Reid aint never looked like he would turn a game...Well, not in Sydney's favour anyway.

Sammy is best in defence, where he actually seems to mark the ball and intercept. Look, you would keep the guy, but he needs to take a trim in salary...Maybe share a bath with Tippet and save some water

With all due respect, Jones and the whole team played well today. When Reid kicked 6 he didn't "turn the game'" 'cause the team failed to go with him. Jones has always had the freedom to run but today we played easier opposition. Great game mind you, but I'd want to see more before I'd put him in Reid's camp, who can play several roles with aplomb.

Personally I'd rather see Jones play a pure midfield role and grow from there. He's proved he can bust lines and that's his biggest positive but the defensive side of his game isn't the best. He still runs best going forward and his disposal by foot isn't the sharpest. Perhaps that's why Horse has had him in defence for so long, to develop the defensive side of his game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it was Brereton who made the comment (to paraphrase) "20-odd years where their team has only missed the finals once and those poor Swans fans have had to endure a whole 6 losses". Much as I dislike the guy, I agree with the sentiment. Some fans have grown fat on so much gravy.
That run still doesn't erase the memory of his appalling season with us. Disgraced the club by kicking an opponent (from his former club) in the head. A complete flog. His commentary is as hopeless as the season when he disgraced the great club. He was even prattling on about a line in the sand. I drew a line in the sound and turned the thug down

Last edited:
With all due respect, Jones and the whole team played well today. When Reid kicked 6 he didn't "turn the game'" 'cause the team failed to go with him. Jones has always had the freedom to run but today we played easier opposition. Great game mind you, but I'd want to see more before I'd put him in Reid's camp, who can play several roles with aplomb.

Personally I'd rather see Jones play a pure midfield role and grow from there. He's proved he can bust lines and that's his biggest positive but the defensive side of his game isn't the best. He still runs best going forward and his disposal by foot isn't the sharpest. Perhaps that's why Horse has had him in defence for so long, to develop the defensive side of his game.
Horse had him in defence for the same reason he used (thank god no more) play Buddy on the wing. A defense risk averse strategy. Yesterday we unlocked some of the initiative and brilliance that has been suppressed under a defence first game plan that served so well for years but today is beatable. Jones was let off the leash in the midfield and Buddy became a key position forward again. Brilliant and who would have thought

McVeigh was a human turnstile out there today. Missed tackles and he simply cannot run. He was directly responsible for two of the goals. Newman starred in the reserves and should have been in the firsts.
Beg to disagree. Some rust, of course, but his sharp kicks to advantage, direction for the defence and coolness under pressure made a huge difference. Eevn when the defence f*&cked up you could see him getting around and settling them.

That run still doesn't erase the memory of his appalling season with us. Disgraced the club by kicking an opponent (from his former club) in the head. A complete flog. His commentary is as hopeless as the season when he disgraced the great club. He was even prattling on about a line in the sound. I drew a line in the sound and turned the thug down
I agree he's a flog but even a flog can make a good point.

Oh well. 0-6. Dead last. Playing like crap. Playing a team just as poor with no travelling supporters.

Still a pretty good crowd. Plenty of kids wearing their first ever Swannies caps (like my 2 yr old) all smiles, dancing in the crowd having fun enjoying the greatest game in the world on a beautiful sunny day.

* of Brereton. It's not all about the wins you sour old bully.

Horse had him in defence for the same reason he used (thank god no more) play Buddy on the wing. A defense risk averse strategy. Yesterday we unlocked some of the initiative and brilliance that has been suppressed under a defence first game plan that served so well for years but today is beatable. Jones was let off the leash in the midfield and Buddy became a key position forward again. Brilliant and who would have thought
You give too much credit to Horse for Jones playing a great game. Jones played the same game he always tries to play but executed better. He ran instead of standing still. He made quick decisions, broke lines and shook tackles where before he'd been caught. Confidence returned to the team. I just hope it wasn't a one-off.

One thing that may be in our favour in retaining jones is his brother. Maybe nathans time at a cellar dwellar like melbourne for most of his career will help him talk zac into staying at the swans, a club with proven record of sustained success
The way that Goodwin dumped Nathan as skipper will ensure he never plays for the cigar smokers. Nathan was clearly not impressed and for good reason. This is the club that sacked the great Norm Smith after he delivered them six premierships and then booed him through billowing clouds of cigar smoke in the MCC members stand when he coached us at the MCG. Always been a dog of a club

You give too much credit to Horse for Jones playing a great game. Jones played the same game he always tries to play but executed better. He ran instead of standing still. He made quick decisions, broke lines and shook tackles where before he'd been caught. Confidence returned to the team. I just hope it wasn't a one-off.
I was actually criticizing Longmire for supressing his natural football instincts by playing in a role that didn't use his full ability this year. He was off the leash yesterday clearly.

Beg to disagree. Some rust, of course, but his sharp kicks to advantage, direction for the defence and coolness under pressure made a huge difference. Eevn when the defence f*&cked up you could see him getting around and settling them.
He actually once again slowed us down coming out of defence. With Grundy, Smith and McVeigh we have the slowest back three in the comp. He gets most of his kicks off the back of the pack. These possessions are on his call. If getting soft possessions off the back of a pack is leadership I will give it away. He slows down any momentum coming out of defence by consistently on his call having the ball turned back towards our goals where he fannies around before always going onto his right foot. A smart coach will hunt him at the back of the pack. Looser than Lady Gaga's knickers also with his opponent. When Rampe gets back he must be superannuated off to the reserves. Apparently he has a clause in his contract that says he mustn't be humbled by playing reserves. I doubt his aged legs will last the season anyway. He fumbled under pressure (not that there was a lot on offer yesterday) and missed tackles. He simply cant run at speed. I would suggest you focus on his running when you see the replay. He will be found out next week. Its a disgrace that a kid who is playing good footy in the reserves was dropped for him.

Last edited:
I was actually criticizing Longmire for supressing his natural football instincts by playing in a role that didn't use his full ability this year. He was off the leash yesterday clearly.
I know you were. I was saying your criticism is misplaced. Jones was never on a leash any more than Buddy ever was He just lacked the confidence to pull it off. The whole team was confident. When that happens, luck goes your way.

I reckon there was a big boost when Macca hit that pinpoint pass for a quick first goal. The team rate him very highly (and his pointing)

I know you were. I was saying your criticism is misplaced. Jones was never on a leash any more than Buddy ever was He just lacked the confidence to pull it off. The whole team was confident. When that happens, luck goes your way.

I reckon there was a big boost when Macca hit that pinpoint pass for a quick first goal. The team rate him very highly (and his pointing)
You are a McVeigh fan. I am attempting some analysis.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back