Autopsy Swans vs Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

That's hilarious. Marsh must've been tiptoeing around like a cat burglar.

"No, no Aliir, you're just having a bad dream. That's it, back to beddy byes."

I like Marsh even more now after reading this.

Bad luck for Aliir but when you're competing for a spot in the team you can't afford any slip ups.

It wasn't top shelf opposition and there wasn't a lot of defensive pressure from the Lions but the most important take away was that the Swans looked like a team rather than 22 blokes that just met each other before the game like they did against the Pies and the Blues. Structures held up well and everyone worked for each other, pressured the opposition and, most importantly, were intimidating again and defended their mates when called for.

- Melican and Marsh looked really good and hope they can both cement a spot as our backline evolves.
- Towers had a really good game I thought. He's been a whipping boy but I'd take him any day of the week over Foote based on today's performance.
- Jones has become the line breaker we need and the player that we'd all hope Rohan might be for us. Run those tapes Gary and take a good look at Jones' work.
- Buddy. Nuff said.
- McVeigh. Didn't rack up big numbers but helped settle things down back when the pressure was on. I never got why people potted him for pointing. Long may he point.
- Sinclair wasn't terrible. Didn't set the world on fire but took his grabs when they there. Gotta throw the guy a bone since I generally trash him. Having a second ruckman really helped him and Naismith had a good game to complement him. (Still want a look at Cameron in seniors)

Dislikes:

- Backline is still leaky. We gave the Lions too may easy looks at goal and should have won by more considering our periods of dominance. We ran the ball out of defence with a lot more purpose and I think that was a positive but also rushed it and turned the ball over with some poor options. I love Grundy and Smith but the young guys are picking better options than some of the clangers they are dishing out. If we can clean that up we'll look a far better team.

Thought Reid's game was okay, involved in setting up a few goals and took marks around the ground.

Still quite an important signature as we're not exactly filled with KPF depth.

I see what you did there. I do not hate anyone that plays for us, but unlike some on here I have an open-mind and apply the same logic when it comes to analysing the performance of all players not what ever logic suits my opinion of individual players.

I think you assess the years of Jones and Reid to different measures , but suspect you will say I did the opposite, either way go swans!

We desperately need someone to take the kick ins.
Macca doesn't have the length.
Lloyd neither , plus he makes bad decisions.
Mills?
There were a few times yesterday that had horrible indecision written all over them.
There is a young bloke called Newman in the reserves. Beautiful left foot kick

I think he's picked a very inopportune time to sleep in. With Marsh and Melican playing well, and Rampe due to return soon, he will struggle to get a place back in the seniors if everyone is fit. Newman is also knocking on the backline door with some great NEAFL performances.
How do you know he slept in? Why do you assume he was desultory? There could be other reasons rather than a cultural stereotype. Yes why don't we put him in the reserves and publicly humiliate him some more where he can keep Newman and Dawson company as we all await the retirement of one or two venerable veterans as they play out their contracts. Aliir is an outstanding talent and to unfavourably compare him to Melican and Marsh is harsh also

Reid's actually returned to form IMO. A few good games where he plays out of his skin, followed by his usual tripe where he shows zero body strength or intensity. All he needs now is an injury that can be used as an excuse and this will be the average Reid year.

You'll be pleased watching him play elsewhere then!

Last edited:
How do you know he slept in? Why do you assume he was desultory? There could be other reasons rather than a cultural stereotype. Yes why don't we put him in the reserves and publicly humiliate him some more where he can keep Newman and Dawson company as we all await the retirement of one or two venerable veterans as they play out their contracts. Aliir is an outstanding talent and to unfavourably compare him to Melican and Marsh is harsh also

Maybe he had a guest for a sleepover/pyjama party type thing and Harry wasn't invited?

I think you assess the years of Jones and Reid to different measures , but suspect you will say I did the opposite, either way go swans!
Fair enough, we both have our opinions and whilst I don't necessarily agree with yours I certainly respect it. Lets be honest, if we all agreed on everything this board would be a very boring place! Go swans!

We played the same game plan which we have all season. In fact we played even more defensive, there was very little risk in our kicks and we'd often look to go wide or backwards without our regular long bomb.

Buddy played where he always does but our midfield wasn't under pressure as much so we didn't drag Buddy as often up the ground. Bringing Buddy up the ground is not about defence first it's about getting one of the best players into the game
Yep I particularly liked the defensive running of Jones as he defended superbly by running and bouncing the ball in the corridor. Mate we had 17 running bounces yesterday (mostly Jones) compared to 21 for the previous seven games. Its called taking the game on and taking a risk you will be tackled or run down. And of course Buddy was played as he been previously by kicking 8 goals from the wing. The reason our midfield wasn't under so much pressure is that we cut back on the over possession and ran hard with ball in hand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I asked the question prior to the game if it would be fair weather yesterday.

It looked a beautiful day but only 25,000 attended.

Fair weather all round it seemed!
Sunday at 1pm vs Lions with cracker beach weather.
Its never going to be a drawcard

There is a young bloke called Newman in the reserves. Beautiful left foot kick
Kicking in seems to be a status , rather than ability based choice at the swans.
I'm not sure Newman would get the gig, no matter how lovely his foot looks.

Yep I particularly liked the defensive running of Jones as he defended superbly by running and bouncing the ball in the corridor. Mate we had 17 running bounces yesterday (mostly Jones) compared to 21 for the previous seven games. Its called taking the game on and taking a risk you will be tackled or run down. And of course Buddy was played as he been previously by kicking 8 goals from the wing. The reason our midfield wasn't under so much pressure is that we cut back on the over possession and ran hard with ball in hand.
It wasn't taking the game on, it was a working switch. We kicked backwards and to the side, gave us a lot more room to run. Jones was terrific on the break but as a whole it was because we played around Brisbane, not through them

Can't comment on the game because I have yet to see it but whoa up a bit.

What cultural stereotype is that? There is not one ounce, not a shred, not a smidgen of cultural/social talk in Grims post.

You have to be seriously looking for offence to get that out of it. And I mean omg shrieking progressive insanity looking for it. It goes to wanting it, to wanting and needing to find offence. Be looking at yourself and not Grim here.

But back to football for a bit.

"Slept in" when you are late for training is always used colloquially in these circumstances until the truth comes to light. Been done for years.

AA has one job. Be a professional football player. He is a grown arsed man. Not a child, not a baby. Not an adolescent. A grown up in a privileged and pampered environment.

The simplest thing to control in life is turning up. The simplest thing he has to do is turn up.

I have no idea but to go down this road I cannot see this being his first time off the timetable.

And how was comparing him to Marsh and Melican harsh? AA has not proven himself yet. There is no golden ticket. A talent sure but have the other guys plus Rampe done anything wrong? Melican to me looks the goods. Marsh has been serviceable. At this stage AA and Melican are on a par and Marsh is behind AA on the MarkP scale of who gives a * what that guy thinks anyway, but s**t - why piss off the people that need to pick you in a team?

As a player trying to establish himself in top grade I dunno if you want to let the easiest things you can control, that is turning up when you live with another player no less, slip up.

Seriously - how disrespectful was AA to Marsh. People would have been asking him where he is if they live together. Unfair to Marsh to be put in that situation by his housemate.

Says it all. Sam has been solid through the bad times and plied his trade all over the ground. Even today he was working to give Buddy space and draw defenders. Reid's quality.

Of course it says it all... There has been good reason I have been bagging him out. Reid is a big tease who has performed well in about 25% of his games played. Rest of the time he is struggling to be average and impact a game.

I'd be happy to keep Reid, on a much reduced salary.

It pains me to let him go, seeing the millions we have invested in him

With all due respect, Jones and the whole team played well today. When Reid kicked 6 he didn't "turn the game'" 'cause the team failed to go with him. Jones has always had the freedom to run but today we played easier opposition. Great game mind you, but I'd want to see more before I'd put him in Reid's camp, who can play several roles with aplomb.

Personally I'd rather see Jones play a pure midfield role and grow from there. He's proved he can bust lines and that's his biggest positive but the defensive side of his game isn't the best. He still runs best going forward and his disposal by foot isn't the sharpest. Perhaps that's why Horse has had him in defence for so long, to develop the defensive side of his game.

We agree on one thing...Jones playing a greater Midfield role. Jones and Buddy were the standouts against Brisbane

Jones has been solid all year, but on the weekend he was relishing the challenge and playing with instructions to run and bust a line

He was playing defense for so long because there wasn't a mid field role for him because we had a surfeit or performing talent there the last couple of years.

Can't comment on the game because I have yet to see it but whoa up a bit.

What cultural stereotype is that? There is not one ounce, not a shred, not a smidgen of cultural/social talk in Grims post.

You have to be seriously looking for offence to get that out of it. And I mean omg shrieking progressive insanity looking for it. It goes to wanting it, to wanting and needing to find offence. Be looking at yourself and not Grim here.

But back to football for a bit.

"Slept in" when you are late for training is always used colloquially in these circumstances until the truth comes to light. Been done for years.

AA has one job. Be a professional football player. He is a grown arsed man. Not a child, not a baby. Not an adolescent. A grown up in a privileged and pampered environment.

The simplest thing to control in life is turning up. The simplest thing he has to do is turn up.

I have no idea but to go down this road I cannot see this being his first time off the timetable.

And how was comparing him to Marsh and Melican harsh? AA has not proven himself yet. There is no golden ticket. A talent sure but have the other guys plus Rampe done anything wrong? Melican to me looks the goods. Marsh has been serviceable. At this stage AA and Melican are on a par and Marsh is behind AA on the MarkP scale of who gives a **** what that guy thinks anyway, but s**t - why piss off the people that need to pick you in a team?

As a player trying to establish himself in top grade I dunno if you want to let the easiest things you can control, that is turning up when you live with another player no less, slip up.

Seriously - how disrespectful was AA to Marsh. People would have been asking him where he is if they live together. Unfair to Marsh to be put in that situation by his housemate.
Until we know factually the reason why speculate that he was asleep? He may have been. Or not. There is a cultural stereotype about Africans that they don't keep time, don't show up and are always late. Maybe that's why we should be circumspect about attributing the reason to Aliir. I am not suggesting that Grim deliberately used a stereotype. But many in the community unfortunately do. To put Melican on a par with Aliir seems to me to serious under-estimate Aliir. Melican has played a few serviceable games whilst Aliir has shown brilliance. Melican will be a good player and is clearly a company man in that he plays the style Horse wants. Aliir is unpredictable rebounding defender. Maybe we should ask Buddy which player he would rather have rebounding towards the forward line. Aliir is also a better contested mark. Anyway apologies to Grimlock for writing he was using a cultural stereotype. Comment withdrawn and humble pie prepared with sauce.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back