The 100-goal forward - are they now extinct?

Remove this Banner Ad

If Buddy had played in that era, he'd have kicked three to four centuries at least.
Not with the quality of FBs that were apparent in the 80s/90s dominating him.

Hell, the last time Alex Silvagni played on him, he got owned. Max Hugheton from the Saints demolished him in the PF in the same year he kicked over 100; he has a similar gamestyle to SOS.

Yep, Buddy will be the last to ever do it.

Too bad Fev lol. So close.

Maybe if they get rid of interchange completely it might happen but even then I doubt it as players will be rotated through the forward line to rest.

When was 4 on the interchange bench introduced? Bet you could put a line through that.

Gave the coaches more control over the game.
1998. And you are right - 1998 was the last in-season century until Buddy (Lloyd and Gherig both completed their centuries in finals).

It got noticeably worse again from 2010 - surely then the tactical shift to zonal web defence is to blame.

Not with the quality of FBs that were apparent in the 80s/90s dominating him.
I honestly think that our tall defenders as just as good as they were (as are the best tall forwards) - it's just that they have less exposure because the game isn't as dumb, so they don't get to make the same name for themselves.

1998. And you are right - 1998 was the last in-season century until Buddy (Lloyd and Gherig both completed their centuries in finals).

It got noticeably worse again from 2010 - surely then the tactical shift to zonal web defence is to blame.
And it feeds into itself as well. Because of what you point out, clubs are no longer looking to develop that type of player, with that type of physical/mental makeup. I think if you bought Ablett Snr at his peak into Geelong today he would kick a hundred, even the way the game is played today.

I honestly think that our tall defenders as just as good as they were (as are the best tall forwards) - it's just that they have less exposure because the game isn't as dumb, so they don't get to make the same name for themselves.
Absolutely not.

A lot of defenders today are soft... to manhandle a gorilla like Dunstall or Lockett, you needed to have balls. The game has been sanitised to such an extent that a slight shove is a free kick, even if it's not right against the back. Far as forwards go, you routinely see them miss very easy shots - even at the beginning of the game. Someone like a Lloyd, Ablett, Dunstall, Lockett, Carey etc would kick them in their sleep. Are you really saying forwards today are on par as the ones I mentioned?

And which defender today are as good as Scarlett, Glass, SOS, Martyn, etc were? Hell, I'll even add Clement to that list; severely underrated defender. Who comes close? Maybe Rance?

I think if you bought Ablett Snr at his peak into Geelong today he would kick a hundred, even the way the game is played today.
Completely disagree - if you put Ablett Sr in at Geelong (notwithstanding personal conduct issues) he'd play the Dangerfield role. Hell, he's even similar in attributes - highly explosive, great overhead for his size, big-bodied but midfield height.

Nobody gets to stay at home in the fifty nowadays, and even if they did, they just don't get the space. Not even close.

Completely disagree - if you put Ablett Sr in at Geelong (notwithstanding personal conduct issues) he'd play the Dangerfield role. Hell, he's even similar in attributes - highly explosive, great overhead for his size, big-bodied but midfield height.

Nobody gets to stay at home in the fifty nowadays, and even if they did, they just don't get the space. Not even close.
Early on he did play a kind of midfield role.

No, no. I meant you play him in that role today and he would kick a 100. Its not going to happen, but that is my opinion. But good God, I don't think Ablett would have even got into the seconds nowadays with his issues early on. Twitter Instagram etc woud have killed him. "He did what now?!" lol

And no. Not Dangerfield. Ablett had more skills in his little finger than Dangerfield has. Some attributes, yes. But Dangerfield is no Ablett Snr by a long shot.

OTOH, Ablett would have been a boon for Dangerfield! I can remember Bews once saying Couch used to deliver it lace up to Ablett, but when he started playing midfield it was different. Bews claimed he had nowhere near the kicking skills of some of the others and caused Ablett to go diving for the ball, taking screamers etc. Bews claimed he made the legend. Due to being a s**t kick. :D

They have been extinct for a while. The game is too low scoring and defensive minded for anyone to kick 100 goals. However we don't really have a calibre of forward who could kick 100 apart from Franklin who is too injury prone nowadays.

Are they back?
I think this year we might see someone break the barrier. A lot more high scoring games than in recent years. The rule change of “man on the mark” have appeared to benefit the forwards. Would be great to see more 10-goal forwards a la Bruce!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The 100 goal forward is back

r0_0_800_600_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Tex the only one showing the consistency to pull it off. Ideally want him to have a day out next week against North - if he can kick 10+ it not only helps his chances in sheer numbers but gives him a buffer for a week or two down.

This thread is a great lesson for new posters.
Before starting any new thread, always think; “Will Tex Walker make this thread look foolish?”
I’d like to think this thread was the possible reason of the rule change this year of “man standing on the mark”. If no rule change, this thread would still make a whole lotta sense!

Enter: Nick Larkey

I still think it's out of reach, but at least the game is reversing the trend.

Yes, Walker is on track so far, but the hard part is maintaining it all year. There will be momentum swings, possible injuries, double-teaming and flooding.

Coleman medallists with 80+ goals would be nice.

If Tex kicks 100, all the rules changes are worth it.
Honestly. I'd still chuck a smile even if a non-Crows player kicks 100 per season. The game will be a better spectacle with more scoring and less of the damn congestion! We pay money to see goals more than player bodies clumping over each other on the ground!

Harry McKay kicked seven goals five today .Bruce kicked ten goals this round.
I think maybe that will be more the norm than an occasional aboration this season and a new dawn with big forwards kicking big backs could have broken.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back