Banter The 2016 NFL Season

Remove this Banner Ad

With all due respect, what do you guys like about the NFL?

I've tried watching and it is just way too slow and boring. Maybe it's just me but I find it horrible as a spectator sport.
AFL is great for energy and excitement, but not particularly interesting for strategy. Even the most astute commentators can barely come up with anything more than "The've moved an extra man to this contest", or "They're playing a loose man in defence". Fortunately, the gameplay itself is extremely exciting.

NFL is completely different, and extremely enjoyable if you like tactical games. Yes, it's true, they don't spend much of the time actually doing anything, so if you need constant action and excitement in your sports diet I recommend ice hockey.

NFL is a bit like rock-paper-scissors, in that if you know what the opponent is going to do next you can cream them. Basically, it doesn't matter how outclassed the players on the field are (with perhaps the exception of your offensive line), if you know what your opponent is about to do you will crush them.

Therefore, the entire game is predicated on trying to obfuscate what you're about to do, while guessing what the opponent will anticipate or try to do. On the most basic level, you can think of it as "are they going to run the ball or throw it?" for each play, and in a sense that's the very first guess you have to make as the defensive team each play.

As the offensive team, then, you're thinking "are they going to play deep coverage with their linebackers, which means my running back might find a gap, or are their linebackers going to blitz, in which case I should throw it over them?". Each of those guesses has a whole host of other tactical selections and strategies related to it, which you'll learn over time if you observe the game. Fortunately NFL commentators are generally pretty knowledgeable and spend a reasonable amount of time explaining things in a way which you'll understand by about your third game.

It gets really awesome when you have quarterbacks like Peyton Manning who operate as an onfield strategist. When he sets up his offense, he'll start calling the snap count and as he's watching the defenders line up, he's calling out codes to tell his players how to alter their called play. It's like live-poker with 140kg missiles at your disposal. He's trying to bluff the best hand he can, while simultaneously hiding cards in his sleeve.

Once you're familiar with the game, it is GREAT to watch. Especially if you've recorded it on Tivo or something and can fast forward judiciously :p

Also I've supported the 49ers since I was a kid, and their present state (having sacked an excellent coach due to the ego of the franchise owners) feels not unlike Melbourne in the Schwab era. I have no faith in the administration whatsoever.

Also I've supported the 49ers since I was a kid, and their present state (having sacked an excellent coach due to the ego of the franchise owners) feels not unlike Melbourne in the Schwab era. I have no faith in the administration whatsoever.
Except Jed York isn't going away anytime soon

AFL is great for energy and excitement, but not particularly interesting for strategy. Even the most astute commentators can barely come up with anything more than "The've moved an extra man to this contest", or "They're playing a loose man in defence". Fortunately, the gameplay itself is extremely exciting.

NFL is completely different, and extremely enjoyable if you like tactical games. Yes, it's true, they don't spend much of the time actually doing anything, so if you need constant action and excitement in your sports diet I recommend ice hockey.

NFL is a bit like rock-paper-scissors, in that if you know what the opponent is going to do next you can cream them. Basically, it doesn't matter how outclassed the players on the field are (with perhaps the exception of your offensive line), if you know what your opponent is about to do you will crush them.

Therefore, the entire game is predicated on trying to obfuscate what you're about to do, while guessing what the opponent will anticipate or try to do. On the most basic level, you can think of it as "are they going to run the ball or throw it?" for each play, and in a sense that's the very first guess you have to make as the defensive team each play.

As the offensive team, then, you're thinking "are they going to play deep coverage with their linebackers, which means my running back might find a gap, or are their linebackers going to blitz, in which case I should throw it over them?". Each of those guesses has a whole host of other tactical selections and strategies related to it, which you'll learn over time if you observe the game. Fortunately NFL commentators are generally pretty knowledgeable and spend a reasonable amount of time explaining things in a way which you'll understand by about your third game.

It gets really awesome when you have quarterbacks like Peyton Manning who operate as an onfield strategist. When he sets up his offense, he'll start calling the snap count and as he's watching the defenders line up, he's calling out codes to tell his players how to alter their called play. It's like live-poker with 140kg missiles at your disposal. He's trying to bluff the best hand he can, while simultaneously hiding cards in his sleeve.

Once you're familiar with the game, it is GREAT to watch. Especially if you've recorded it on Tivo or something and can fast forward judiciously :p

Great explanation :clapping:

Strategy and game management is so important in the NFL. The Patriots success is a great example of this. No matter who is on the field they know their role and everything seems to go to plan most go the time.

This system allows us to cut players who get too big for their boots and replace them with cheaper players who are willing to buy into the system. As long as everyone does their job and sticks to the game plan it usually results in a W...

We started the season with 3 of our biggest offensive play makers side-lined (Brady, Gronkowski and Dion Lewis) and still managed to win 3 of our first 4 games.

Think he will, everyone else falling in a heap.

Yep! Not sure about Brady missing the first 4 games. Don't know if there is precedent for this with a player winning MVP missing a quarter of the season. But Ryan or Derek Carr are probably looking the goods at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MVP is the QB's award like the Brownlow is the midfielders medal?
Pretty much. It's possible a non-Qab wins it but it's extraordinarily rare.

I know this should go on the punting thread but I feel this way everyone can appreciate how excited I am. Right now I'm stressing hard about the broncos. My multi this week is as follows:
Atl 13+
Dal -7.5
KC -2.5
Det win
Car -3.5/under 44.5
NO -4.5
Ind +3.5
Den -2.5

If it's not be then oh well, it only cost me $1. How much do I stand to win I hear you ask? $557.12

I know this should go on the punting thread but I feel this way everyone can appreciate how excited I am. Right now I'm stressing hard about the broncos. My multi this week is as follows:
Atl 13+
Dal -7.5
KC -2.5
Det win
Car -3.5/under 44.5
NO -4.5
Ind +3.5
Den -2.5

If it's not be then oh well, it only cost me $1. How much do I stand to win I hear you ask? $557.12
Jesus you've done well so far

Atl 13+
Dal -7.5
KC -2.5
Det win
Car -3.5/under 44.5
NO -4.5
Ind +3.5
Den -2.5

Although I think the Rams just killed you

L Murray singe-handedly stealing a sure win from me in fantasy...

I need Doug Baldwin to outperform Jimmy Graham by 14 tomorrow to snatch a victory.. Im ****ed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back