Apr 20, 2001
Adelaide Oval / Anfield
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Utd,Liverpool, WWT Eagles.
My take on Saturday nightst game

The Good

Simon Goodwin - oozed class, kicked goals, took a great pack mark and generally made those who say Roger James is his equal eat their words.

Jason Torney - this guy will be a great pick up. Hit the ball hard, has a penetrating kick and looks to be pretty tough and resillient. Did some nice things in the last quarter. I am sure the stats in the paper were wrong.

Edwards - played really well. Very pleasant to see a guy that can kick on both sides of his body and generally make good decisions under pressure.

Ian Perrie - vey impressed with his second half. Led very strongly toook a couple of good marks and gave us a target. The lead and mark in the final quarter was awesom as three port players converged on him from different directions. If he can step up this year it would be great.

Rutten - whilst not doing a lot, I thought he at least showed the right attitude, especially in the second half,

McLeods Second Half - did some magic things and controlled the ball at half back setting up numerous scoring opportunities

Clarke - good first quarter, took some marks in hte second half

Ladhams - two brilliant goals and looks to have at least maintained his enthusiasm from last year

Bode - hard at the ball and gives 100%

The Bad

Nigel - got spanked by Cornes, will need to lift.

Burton - decision making and kicking was terrible. His unwillingness to run and chase was noticeable on several occasions where he told fellow players to chase his man whilst he jogged over to their man. Gave away two stupid 50 metre penalties. A poor game for him despite all the ball he got.

John**** - got caught out of position many times and left Torney having to stand two players which resulted in both goals to Salopek.

McLeod's first half - not hardly sighted. Backs up my comments on him that he fades out too often.

The Ugly

Ronnie Burns - shocking game. One one occasion just ran past the ball without even trying to contest it. Looked like a dud.

Umpires - terrible game both ways. No consistency.

a bit harsh

I think you were a bit harsh Jars458.

Give Ronnie a go! When we get Stevo and Carey back he will be much better. Remember he has been a forward line player for Geelong and on Saturday night we tried him in the middle. He needs to be given a bit of a go I think. Don't count him out yet.

k
xx

I had a chance to watch the game a couple of more times and I especially paid attention to our young players. Here is my revised opinion on few players:

Ben Rutten - He actually appeared a bit quicker that when I watched the game first time. I think we can work on his pace and marginal improvement could make his pace "acceptable" for AFL footy. DId provide contest on every occasion and when ever he had the ball he used it exceptionally well. The delivery to him was rather awful at times but he never stopped trying. He fought hard to keep the ball in our forward line and his 2nd and 3rd efforts were good. Played better in 2nd half than he did in 1st.

Nathan Bock - He did a couple of good things but was mainly uncited. He really tackles well and did fight to keep the ball in our forward line.

Brent Reilly - The more I watched this kid the more I like him. Every time he disposed of the ball either by hand or foot, he hit his target with pin point accuracy. His delivery to Perrie's chest from some 40 - 50 m out was sensational. I liked the way he positions himself at stoppages and he reads the play exceptionally well. I think the comparisons of Reilly to the likes of Nigel Lappin and Adam Ramanauskas (sp????) are well founded. Reily is really something special I just hope he stays around for a while.

Originally posted by Jars458
My take on Saturday nightst game

The Good

Simon Goodwin - oozed class, kicked goals, took a great pack mark and generally made those who say Roger James is his equal eat their words.

Jason Torney - this guy will be a great pick up. Hit the ball hard, has a penetrating kick and looks to be pretty tough and resillient. Did some nice things in the last quarter. I am sure the stats in the paper were wrong.

Edwards - played really well. Very pleasant to see a guy that can kick on both sides of his body and generally make good decisions under pressure.

Ian Perrie - vey impressed with his second half. Led very strongly toook a couple of good marks and gave us a target. The lead and mark in the final quarter was awesom as three port players converged on him from different directions. If he can step up this year it would be great.

Rutten - whilst not doing a lot, I thought he at least showed the right attitude, especially in the second half,

McLeods Second Half - did some magic things and controlled the ball at half back setting up numerous scoring opportunities

Clarke - good first quarter, took some marks in hte second half

Ladhams - two brilliant goals and looks to have at least maintained his enthusiasm from last year

Bode - hard at the ball and gives 100%

The Bad

Nigel - got spanked by Cornes, will need to lift.

Burton - decision making and kicking was terrible. His unwillingness to run and chase was noticeable on several occasions where he told fellow players to chase his man whilst he jogged over to their man. Gave away two stupid 50 metre penalties. A poor game for him despite all the ball he got.

John**** - got caught out of position many times and left Torney having to stand two players which resulted in both goals to Salopek.

McLeod's first half - not hardly sighted. Backs up my comments on him that he fades out too often.

The Ugly

Ronnie Burns - shocking game. One one occasion just ran past the ball without even trying to contest it. Looked like a dud.

Umpires - terrible game both ways. No consistency.

1 good part that you forgot to mention Jars is that we won by a point, even though it was just a pre season game any win over the Paps is a good win,

Only watched the game on tv so probably didn't get a true indication of the game but i thought you were a little hard on Stiffy other than that though you were spot on ,

I certainly expected more from Ronnie Burns but youve got to remember hes an opportunistic goalkicker and nothing more.

If he dosent kicked 40 goals this year out of the 22 rounds he'll be a disappointment. Its early days

Smart f*cked up two handballs I can think of. One to Crowell and the other to Ben Hart. Now they were BOTH ugly!!

Hey people,
Did Kris Massie play?
Just interested on your thoughts of him as a player because i really think that he played a good game in the Preliminary final last year against the pies....if i recall he was played on a wing and notched up a fair few handballs and perhaps that was the making of him as a player?

Originally posted by SkARkS_69
Hey people,
Did Kris Massie play?
Just interested on your thoughts of him as a player because i really think that he played a good game in the Preliminary final last year against the pies....if i recall he was played on a wing and notched up a fair few handballs and perhaps that was the making of him as a player?

I don't know if you are aware but Kris Massie has had interupted pre-season due to a mild case of Chrinic Fatigue Syndrome. He was on modified program and seems to be getting back to 100%. He will miss this week due to calf injury but should be available next week.

I think that a lot of Crows supporters rate Kris Massie very highly for his sheer guts and determination. We are all of belief that Kris Massie can be a very good player either as a defender or a wingman. We all like his approach to footy which is always 110%. He always puts his body on the line and does "team things" rather than wanting to be a star. Quite a few of us on this board believe that Massie will take over from Nigel Smart once he retires. Our only concern is that he seem to be injury prone, but thats understandable to some degree as he always puts his body on the line. IMHO Massie is capable of playing 200+ AFL games.

Cheers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back