The michael jordan - most marketable player in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

If Judd hadn't had OP and shoulder issues, he may have been our equivalent. But there isn't an eqivalent. You need to be the stand out player of the comp, with swagger and without baggage. That was Judd for a couple of years before OP, but you need to be there for a decade. It might have been Carey before the baggage arrived. But Carey didn't stand tall enough in Grand Finals.

Also the "Don't you know who I am" for Carey ruined it. If anyone ever says that sentence, or a similar one then they are instantly completely uncool and sort of pathetic.

Basketball FFS...An ordinary game. USA is a star based country...Hollywood...NFL...Baseball...CEO's Their whole system is based around Super Star quality. Our media try and create...why who Fckn knows these types but in reality we do not generally speaking go for that crap. Sure we have a fair idea who our best are but the fairdinkum ozzie does not fall for the super star label. NFL has the quarterbacks...Baseball has the pitcher or slugger. Aussie rules is now 36 guys running end to end a sort of cross country basketball game. No one player calls the plays and stands out to dominate the game despite what you hear from the football media.
Superstars are what make any sport marketable to casual/marginal fans.

It's like how people who never had any interest in horse racing all of a sudden became fans when Winx or Black Caviar came to town.

NBA is a star based game which is why it's so easily marketable internationally. Most people on the street in Australia would know who Lebron James is. But the NFL and MLB are much more team based which is why they're not as popular outside america. How many people outside America know who Patrick Mahomes or Mike Trout are?

The team nature of our game will probably never allow a transcendent superstar comparable Jordan.

The likes of Messi and C Ronaldon are bigger world wide than MJ ever was, even Beckham could be thrown in as bigger.
NN and Buddy in Australia.

No way - ask people that don't even follow sport who Michael Jordan was and they will still know him. You do the same for the soccer players and they won't have a clue. Jordan is synonymous with his sport in a way that few players will ever be.

NBA is a star based game which is why it's so easily marketable internationally. Most people on the street in Australia would know who Lebron James is. But the NFL and MLB are much more team based which is why they're not as popular outside america. How many people outside America know who Patrick Mahomes or Mike Trout are?

The team nature of our game will probably never allow a transcendent superstar comparable Jordan.
A starting 5 compared to a starting 18 may also dilute the press...and individual sponsorship

I don't think there is one, or has been one

The gap between Jordan and the next best NBA player is far bigger than there has ever been in the AFL

& not only that, Jordan was remarkably charismatic & articulate

Carey, Dusty, Buddy, Ablett, Matthews - none possess even a modicum of the charisma of Jordan

In terms of delivering the whole package - we will probably be waiting another 100 years for an AFL equivalent

Is it?

The main reason I don’t like American sports anymore is because it’s far too individualised, and I don’t particularly like the individuals.

It seems a common practice from afar, at least more common than here.

Definitely agree with this, America is all about celebrating the individual. The LeBron love in when Miami won the title was absurd, it was like he was the only player on the team. American society in general is like that though. I don't wanna see it like that here but i think if you have some good marketable stars it can definitely help promote the game in more difficult markets.

As far as we know neither Guy or Shannon have ever touched kids, so that makes them better than Michael.
Instantly thinking about touching kids on a footy forum, Friday night, when we're comparing celebrities gets me think you're the one touching the kids.

Jackson is the GOAT. Undeniable.

Definitely agree with this, America is all about celebrating the individual. The LeBron love in when Miami won the title was absurd, it was like he was the only player on the team. American society in general is like that though. I don't wanna see it like that here but i think if you have some good marketable stars it can definitely help promote the game in more difficult markets.
The Buddy love at Hawthorn? When Sydney win who is 'the news'?

No way - ask people that don't even follow sport who Michael Jordan was and they will still know him. You do the same for the soccer players and they won't have a clue. Jordan is synonymous with his sport in a way that few players will ever be.
Lol...so you think soccer isn't followed by literally billions of fans!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. The amount of times I have heard "Buddy's Swans" or words to that effect is insane. I don't think I have ever heard Dangerfield's Cats, Casbolt's Blues or Pendlebury's Magpies before.
Buddy is a hillbilly, you're delusional. He hasn't been relevant in years, as for the swans? They're only the 28th most popular sporting team in Sydney.😂

The moment he left Hawthorn, his marketability dropped.

Yep. The amount of times I have heard "Buddy's Swans" or words to that effect is insane. I don't think I have ever heard Dangerfield's Cats, Casbolt's Blues or Pendlebury's Magpies before.
This. Buddy is phenominal, both for you club or mine. But to have every commentary on the game being tied to 1 player's relevance is a disservice to to rest of the team & coaching staff

Buddy is a hillbilly, you're delusional. He hasn't been relevant in years, as for the swans? They're only the 28th most popular sporting team in Sydney.😂

The moment he left Hawthorn, his marketability dropped.
So the Dustin Tigers is a fair assessment on every game Richmond play?

This. Buddy is phenominal, both for you club or mine. But to have every commentary on the game being tied to 1 player's relevance is a disservice to to rest of the team & coaching staff

I must admit I have thought that before, as sometimes in analysis of Swans games, particularly if it was a good win, you would get the impression it was just Buddy, and that there were not 21 other players out there that may have helped achieve the victory as well.

The other factor is you have to be American. Noone else sells the individual as hard as the Yanks. Pippen was an awesome allround basketballer and Rodman was fabulous at his role, but they sell at as Jordan doing it alone.

America does have a very individualistic sort of mindset in a way. Everything is "I achieved that, no one else helped, it was my greatness that made me succeed" in a sort of Ayn Rand mindset.

I must admit I have thought that before, as sometimes in analysis of Swans games, particularly if it was a good win, you would get the impression it was just Buddy, and that there were not 21 other players out there that may have helped achieve the victory as well.
You will have your opinion on the players you know won games etc, but the make-up of a team is the 'total combination of different parts'. Franklin was as important as Sewell in an important time in my club...who was the more marketable? More subjectively was who in each game was more effective..

You will have your opinion on the players you know won games etc, but the make-up of a team is the 'total combination of different parts'. Franklin was as important as Sewell in an important time in my club...who was the more marketable? More subjectively was who in each game was more effective..

No doubt Buddy is super effective, but Buddy can be in his best form ever, but if the other 21 players are playing like crap it doesn't matter as we won't win. The 2014 Grand Final comes to mind. The only players who had good days for the Swans were Buddy and Goodes.

No doubt Buddy is super effective, but Buddy can be in his best form ever, but if the other 21 players are playing like crap it doesn't matter as we won't win. The 2014 Grand Final comes to mind. The only players who had good days for the Swans were Buddy and Goodes.
He has won games...where he was the difference, but so have random "unheard ofs" . I feel for the backman who keeps Cameron to 6 touches, 1 goal if SYD beat GWS and Buddy has 10 touches, 2 goals and the news show the Buddy Brilliant Swans

NN is the only player I know right now that has non-AFL fans knowing who he is, Australia wide. He may not be the best player but he is recognisable. Tall as fcuk, Fijian, looks like a palm tree, etc.
Really?

Ablett, Buddy etc. much more recognisable, especially in NSW/QLD.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back