Toast The Renaissance of Travis Boak

Remove this Banner Ad

Must be just about time to move him to HF again.

I have been very hard on him for a few years but his work rate and impact this season has been mind-blowing.
I was skeptical that he had this kind of sustained form left in him, but he clearly does (and did), and it is an indictment on the coaching group that he was wasted on a flank for 2+ seasons.
Travis Boak, I was wrong (but you still have a poor kick).

Love the way he is going about his business this season. He seems to have found a happy balance in relation to his footy/non footy interests.

Had a laugh yesterday. There was a throw in/ball up on the Eastern wing where Boaky ran through but the ball didn't bounce up as much as he expected. You (make that I) could very clearly hear "F**k" as he over ran the ball.

I love him. I actually love him.
Actually I love him, I actually love him. Get in line young fella Macca19.
The guy isn't the most skilful player but IS the born leader at our club.
Ask guys like SPP what sort of influence Trav has had on his life, not football career, life!!!
I've lost a Father and know how tough that is. Boak ensured that his Father's memory lives on through Trav's deeds; on and off the field.
I Love Him.*
It truly has been a privilege to follow Boak's AFL journey.
scz3nr.jpg
* thanks Seanybruz

* prepared to share the love.

Last edited:
All-Australian lock at this point.

Port Adelaide's first Brownlow medallist, Travis Boooak
Disposals are one thing but poor accuracy with goal kicking rules him out. With 5 missed shots on goal v Gold Coast I'll be surprised if he got one vote there.

Disposals are one thing but poor accuracy with goal kicking rules him out. With 5 missed shots on goal v Gold Coast I'll be surprised if he got one vote there.
Yeah but lately he's probably benefited from the `I have no idea who these kids are, but Travis Boak done good' vote boost.

Yeah but lately he's probably benefited from the `I have no idea who these kids are, but Travis Boak done good' vote boost.

Really, he's in an ideal spot to contend for the Brownlow. Plays in a team that wins enough games, but doesn't have too many competitors for votes within his own team. Outside of Boak, only Rockliff would be looking at a double figure vote tally this year. He's a huge chance.

Really, he's in an ideal spot to contend for the Brownlow. Plays in a team that wins enough games, but doesn't have too many competitors for votes within his own team. Outside of Boak, only Rockliff would be looking at a double figure vote tally this year. He's a huge chance.

I expect SPP to poll okay for 2 reasons. Firstly, he's shaved his head and therefore stands out. Secondly, he does a lot of bursting through packs and accelerating away from contests that umpires love.

I'd still have Boak and Rockliff as 1-2 easily though. The thing that will cost Boak is that umpires absolutely love giving votes to opposition players in our wins.

Boak has always done well in the Brownlow count as well. He was top 5 in 2010 I think? And then in 2014, which Robbie clearly should have won, Boak actually finished way ahead of him and top 5 again.

Surely this year when he is legit first picked in the AA team, he'd be a solid chance.

Secondly, he does a lot of bursting through packs and accelerating away from contests that umpires love.
I swear that's all you need to do in a GF for a Norm Smith.

Do it twice and everyone will talk about you to their grand kids...

So many wrong choices it isn't funny.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I swear that's all you need to do in a GF for a Norm Smith.

Do it twice and everyone will talk about you to their grand kids...

So many wrong choices it isn't funny.
Including 2004 where Peter Burgoyne was just plain robbed.

And Wanganeen in 2003, missed out by a single vote and was BOG by a mile in the last game and didn’t get a vote. Would have been the only player to win two Brownlows 10 years apart.
Was just going on Norm Smiths, but yeah Brownlows too

Including 2004 where Peter Burgoyne was just plain robbed.
Yeah the 3 that jump out to me are Burgoyne (Pickett did a dash or two), JJ (Kennedy or Boyd were far better) and McLeod (pick either)

I'm sure others were robbed too. Breaking a pack just leaves a lasting memory in their eyes.

Burgoyne was tremendous that day but to be honest I've never ever felt that Pickett was the wrong choice for the Norm Smith. He played a hell of a game and will rightfully go down in folklore for that performance.

Would not have been all that disappointed in hindsight with Wanganeen winning either and from each subsequent viewing Mal Michael's game was incredible too given the context of Tredders' form.

Gee I hope so. Got on early with good odds.

Interesting article in the Weekend Oz about players who are inside and outside players ie those who rank highly for hardball gets, contested possessions and lose ball gets. They look at 5 players Neale, Patrick Cripps, Boak, Oliver and Cunnington.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...t/news-story/417942eb06a7dda431f53b335740aaf2
Australian football is played in multiple dimensions, but you’d be forgiven for thinking the contemporary game is played in just two places — inside and outside. No, not inside as in at Docklands/Colonial/Telstra/Etihad/Marvel Stadium/dome, and outside as in everywhere else. Inside the mauls rolling across our ovals, and outside said packs.

Centres, ruck-rovers and hard-as-nails half-backs do their best work “inside”, according to the modern jargon. Wings, opportunist half-forwards and goal-sneak forward-pockets are the “outside” players. The challenge for coaches is to find the right blend of inside and outside. Grunt within, dash without.

But why not both? Why not players with the muscle to mix it on the inside, and the speed and panache to answer in the affirmative when asked if they’re an outdoors type. The midfield maestros of ages past surely qualified as both. Chris Judd, for example, won his own hard ball before streaming into space. Which of the Lions’ Fab Four was inside, and which was outside? Was Simon Black outside because he was so good with the ball? Surely Black, Michael Voss, Nigel Lappin and Jason Akermanis were inside and outside players. Sam Mitchell was both. As were Dane Swan and Gary Ablett Jr in his younger years. Patrick Dangerfield and Dustin Martin turn players inside out before streaming into the great outdoors.
Few would argue against Neale being the premier midfielder, if not player, in the league at present. The Brisbane star is No 2 for loose-ball gets, No 3 for contested balls, and No 5 for hard-ball gets. Too small, the recruiters said of the 176cm Neale as he slipped to No 58 in the 2011 draft. Now he’s a leading Brownlow contender. The Blues are in the doldrums, as The Fauves once sang, like a Portuguese ship without a sail, but Cripps is barrelling along in the Roaring Forties.

Then we come to the curious case of Travis Boak. The Power’s ex-captain was pensioned off on a half-forward flank a few seasons back. That decision was hasty, as Boak is in the form of his career, wrenching the ball out of packs and gut-running into space to average 32 disposals this season, ranking him fourth in the competition for the stat. Boak is No 4 for loose-ball gets, No 6 for contested balls, and No 10 for hard-ball gets.
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...t/news-story/417942eb06a7dda431f53b335740aaf2

Must be right up there in the Brownlow & other major individual awards. Felt Cripps was going to be unassailable this year, but by the looks he's now had a couple of very quiet weeks in a row whereas Boak is still playing immense footy.

Champion of the club, gosh I hope one day it will be rewarded with team success.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back