The Wentworth federal by-election

Remove this Banner Ad

Hasnt really needed to do anything just sit back and watch the s**t show
Nah, whilst the libs have contributed to their demise, Shorten hasn't given them an opportunity to gain any momentum. He took over the leadership straight after an election slaughter and is going to lead them back into government with a handsome majority. And he's done all this in spite of his unpopularity which is well earned from his time in the unions and as an ALP faction man. He's also survived a Royal Commission whose main objective was probably to finish his career.

In that context I think its far to say that he's got fair political acumen. That doesn't necessarily translate to governing though as we learnt from Abbott's performance who was also very successful as opposition leader.

Slight interruption, sorry. This is going to sound right out there but ... has anybody else heard rumours Julie Bishop met up with Rupert Murcoch last week? The plan being to challenge Scotty after Wentworth fell, on for next week.

It was mentioned earlier, but gees - another change of leader so soon would do more harm than good in the polls.

Secondly - a meeting with Rupert Murdoch - asking his permission?

I have a mate, he's an aircraft mechanic and fifteen years ago did his bit in a major industrial dispute with Boeing. Bill Shorten, in his capacity as union big dick, was up in Newcastle a bit. He met my mate on the picket line and picked him straight up as the son of someone he had repped years before.

Slight interruption, sorry. This is going to sound right out there but ... has anybody else heard rumours Julie Bishop met up with Rupert Murcoch last week? The plan being to challenge Scotty after Wentworth fell, on for next week.
seems pretty out there. Next election is lost, it's now all about saving the furniture and another change of leader ain't doing that. Besides Morrison and bishop have similar support base within the party.

It's basic climatology - there is very little evaporation in the higher latitudes, so there is very little precipitation. Increase the evaporation and humidity and it won't be as dry

There has been some evidence this has already begun to happen, in the form of increased snow:

"Theory predicts that, as Antarctica warms, the atmosphere should hold more moisture and that this should lead therefore to more snowfall. And what we're showing in this study is that this has already been happening," Dr Thomas said.​

Australia is however predicted to get drier.

I can't wait for Wentworth to stop world climate change and keep voting the libs in government!!!

It's basic climatology - there is very little evaporation in the higher latitudes, so there is very little precipitation. Increase the evaporation and humidity and it won't be as dry

There has been some evidence this has already begun to happen, in the form of increased snow:

"Theory predicts that, as Antarctica warms, the atmosphere should hold more moisture and that this should lead therefore to more snowfall. And what we're showing in this study is that this has already been happening," Dr Thomas said.​

Australia is however predicted to get drier.

none of that says australia will get drier to an extent antartica overtakes its rainfall

you made a hyperbolic claim, own it, dont try to legitimize it

The Wentworth electorate have made a stance and will not ignore climate change.. it's so important!!

I really like how proactive the government they keep voting in is at tackling climate change!

damn u carbon tax
damn u renewable energy target
damn u renewables
damn u windfarms
damn great barrier reef
and damn uuu Richard Dinatalie

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find that hard to believe because if nothing else, Bishop was/is too closely linked with Turnbull and given the clear views Murdoch had on Turnbull, i doubt that has changed in the last 2 months

none of that says australia will get drier to an extent antartica overtakes its rainfall

you made a hyperbolic claim, own it, dont try to legitimize it
Lol, and no one lives on Antarctica now, so who cares whether it is technically the 'driest' continent. It's dry only because of specific freezing climatic conditions at the poles that will dissipate as the planet warms. Australia is dry due to anticyclonic effects that will not disappear as the planet warms.

The key takeaway is that Antarctica will become more habitable while Australia becomes less habitable. Australia under 2-4 degrees warming with climate change will not be able to sustain 50 million people.

Lol, and no one lives on Antarctica now, so who cares whether it is technically the 'driest' continent. It's dry only because of specific freezing climatic conditions at the poles that will dissipate as the planet warms. Australia is dry due to anticyclonic effects that will to disappear as the planet warms.

The key takeaway is that Antarctica will become more habitable while Australia becomes less habitable. Australia under 2-4 degrees warming with climate change will not be able to sustain 50 million people.

isnt climate change a lie by the chinese though? ;)

Strategy I'd thought. Scotty can't win the next election and when they lose under him, Labor will hold two maybe three stable, long terms.

It is all speculation. May be the Bish met with Murdoch and it was not a friendly meeting, it might have been a "look what you've done you senile old * campaigner" type message she had to say to him.

Anyway, if you believe the story about his exchanges with Stokes saying he could put up with one term of ALP, it might have been about accepting defeat as inevitable and working out what to do after the next election.

It is all speculation. May be the Bish met with Murdoch and it was not a friendly meeting, it might have been a "look what you've done you senile old ****** campaigner" type message she had to say to him.

Anyway, if you believe the story about his exchanges with Stokes saying he could put up with one term of ALP, it might have been about accepting defeat as inevitable and working out what to do after the next election.
Rupert's buying bronny a chopper.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Our good friend Mathias has done a Trump with this one.

44404765_10156698874265797_4621583624532131840_n.jpg

Strategy I'd thought. Scotty can't win the next election and when they lose under him, Labor will hold two maybe three stable, long terms.
I
f Murdoch is going to be having dinner with anyone in the next 6 months it will be Bill Shorten. Murdoch doesn't really have a political ideology other than whatever furthers his business interests. He's backed labour governments before and I'm sure he likes being on a winner. Shorten saw firsthand what a NewsCorp campaign did to the Gillard government. He's a fairly conservative and pragmatic ALP leader, if it came down a choice between war and appeasement my money is on the latter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back