Recommitted Tim Kelly [exploring trade options home to West Coast]

Remove this Banner Ad

Lots of other players are from Perth too, I'm suprised there are only two WA teams since they must all request trades every year. Not sure how we've managed to convince Duncan to stay every year so far tbh

I don't know the average number per year but last year 11 players were drafted from the WAFL to clubs other than WC and Freo.

The actual rate of players returning to Perth is pretty low.

In the last decade we've brought in Ah Chee, Yeo, Cripps, Josh Hill, Lewis Jetta, Wellingham, Dalziell. We also brought in Redden, Vardy, Petrie, Mitchell, Giles etc. who aren't from WA to begin with. Fringe players move more often than stars.

Of all those only Yeo and Cripps were 'homesick' trades. Plus everyone wanted out of Brisbane then.

But you don't know what they might get next year. We might just go full BigFooty and offer him $600k to go into the draft.

Why would you draw that conclusion? If I thought Kelly was going to sit out 2019 if not traded to Perth I would say so. I don't. I think if he requests a trade and it is denied he will continue to play for the Cats. I'm merely highlighting that there's a spectrum of 'I'd like to go home if I can' and 'I'm leaving and if you don't trade me I'll just not play'. No one knows exactly where Kelly sits on that spectrum.
600 is nothing. We are paying dalhaus 2 million over 4 years for ffs. You have to go 800 plus as a minimum to get geelong to let him walk in the draft.

Right now we don't have a Rd 1 pick, only an early 2nd. Picks 20 and 35.

So you're suggesting 20 + 35 for Kelly + 47? Not the most unreasonable trade I've seen. If we had 18/19 and 20 I think we'd be comfortable trading away one of those picks and downgrading 35.
Lol thats ridiculous. Its going to be pick 10 as a minimum. Kelly is the best under 26 player at our club.

Lol thats ridiculous. Its going to be pick 10 as a minimum. Kelly is the best under 26 player at our club.

LOL your guy suggested it.

Being the best player under 26 at Geelong isn't exactly a badge of honour.

We are not going to get a top 10 pick in this draft for him whether that's fair or not.

See!

If West Coast actually had a top 10 pick would you get it? I highly doubt it, not unless it was a pick downgrade type deal. But we don't have one, so that likelihood gets even closer to zero.

Have a look at the top 10 candidates of the draft, no way I'd take Kelly over any of them.
Atleast 4 of them will fail and be nobodies. Another 3 will take three years just to be standard afl players.

Plus I would rather give away dangerfield or mitch duncan then kelly. Kelly is dramatically undervalued. Strong likelihood he will finish next season as our clear best midfielder.

See!

If West Coast actually had a top 10 pick would you get it? I highly doubt it, not unless it was a pick downgrade type deal. But we don't have one, so that likelihood gets even closer to zero.
No it isnt a badge of honour. Although one of them was all australian this year and kelly is a better prospect then him. So its still worth top 10. Just not top 3 like most other teams best under 26.

West coast can always trade their first and their future first. Or on trade other picks they get from say trading gaff. Ofcourse there is no reason why has to go to west coast. There is freo or simply staying where he is as he is contracted.

See!

If you hypothethetically had a top 10 pick we would be talking pick swaps n stuff as we have 11. But as you say it is moot because you don't.

Atleast 4 of them will fail and be nobodies. Another 3 will take three years just to be standard afl players.

Plus I would rather give away dangerfield or mitch duncan then kelly. Kelly is dramatically undervalued. Strong likelihood he will finish next season as our clear best midfielder.

Dangerfield for Rohan thanks

You would rather give away Danger or Duncan really

We are not going to get a top 10 pick in this draft for him whether that's fair or not.
If recruiters were rationally we would. Even in the greatest of all time draft of 2001 pick 9 and 10 were complete duds that never did anything. 4,5,6,7 would be considered disapointing outcomes. Thats over half the top 10. Pick 2 also didnt work out as hoped due to injury. And this was the greatest draft of all time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And another 3-6 of them will be 2x if not 3x the player as Kelly.

I'd take a 30-60% chance of getting the next Ben Brown/Jeremy Mcgovern over having a slightly above average mid in Kelly

And another 3-6 of them will be 2x if not 3x the player as Kelly.

I'd take a 30-60% chance of getting the next Ben Brown/Jeremy Mcgovern over having a slightly above average mid in Kelly
Even in the 2001 draft there was only 3 players in the top ten who look like being better then kelly. 4 if you think ball played enough games pre his injury problems. So i dont know where you are getting your figures from.

Duncan is Geelong's most important midfielder in general play, especially moving the ball from defense to forward.
True. But he cant win the inside ball like kelly nor dance around opponents in heavy traffic like kelly and he has a very poor finals record. There is a reason why kelly moved ahead of him this year in terms of midfield time.

Even in the 2001 draft there was only 3 players in the top ten who look like being better then kelly. 4 if you think ball played enough games pre his injury problems. So i dont know where you are getting your figures from.
2012 draft-Whitfield, Macrae, Wines, Daniher, Vlastuin
2013 draft-Kelly, Bont, Billings
2014 draft- De Goey, Brayshaw, Petracca
2015 draft-Mills, Oliver, Hopper, Weideman

These are all players that people would take over kelly whether it's for age/performance/potential.

This is not even taking into consideration that if you use a top 10 pick, you get 10-15 years of service out of them, Kelly has like 6 years left

2012 draft-Whitfield, Macrae, Wines, Daniher, Vlastuin
2013 draft-Kelly, Bont, Billings
2014 draft- De Goey, Brayshaw, Petracca
2015 draft-Mills, Oliver, Hopper, Weideman

These are all players that people would take over kelly whether it's for age/performance/potential.

This is not even taking into consideration that if you use a top 10 pick, you get 10-15 years of service out of them, Kelly has like 6 years left

The 2013 draft you're missing a few.

Kelly, Bont, Billings, Cripps, Merrett, M Crouch, Oraaazeooo and Sicily.

True. But he cant win the inside ball like kelly nor dance around opponents in heavy traffic like kelly and he has a very poor finals record. There is a reason why kelly moved ahead of him this year in terms of midfield time.
Nah, Duncan is a far better player. Mitch averages a third more effective disposals per game and more stoppage clearances per game, more marks and involvements moving the ball forward.

Kelly has two facets to his game. Clean hands at the bounce that allow him to put a small gap on and then kick forward (he is unreliable by foot), clean hands at the loose balls in the forward line for a shot on goal which he does very well.

Duncan is far more valuable because he moves the ball from defense to attack with exceptional ball use. That linking mark is so much more important, especially if Geelong continue to build a team around winning contests and not using it so well. The linking player is what creates scores from turnovers.

That's only my opinion though.

Nah, Duncan is a far better player. Mitch averages a third more effective disposals per game and more stoppage clearances per game.

Kelly has two facets to his game. Clean hands at the bounce that allow him to put a small gap on and then kick forward (he is unreliable by foot), clean hands at the loose balls in the forward line for a shot on goal which he does very well.

Duncan is far more valuable because he moves the ball from defense to attack with exceptional ball use. That linking mark is so much more important, especially if Geelong continue to build a team around winning contests and not using it so well. The linking player is what creates scores from turnovers.

That's only my opinion though.

It's also a lot easier being a midfielder with Duncan, Dangerfield, Selwood and Ablett all likely prioritised ahead of you in opposition game planning. Roll on 2019 and no one will be surprised by what Kelly can dish up, and they'll be better at stopping him from doing it.

It's also a lot easier being a midfielder with Duncan, Dangerfield, Selwood and Ablett all likely prioritised ahead of you in opposition game planning. Roll on 2019 and no one will be surprised by what Kelly can dish up, and they'll be better at stopping him from doing it.

I'd tag Duncan and play my most attacking mid opposed to Kelly, letting him be the mid who kicks forward while telling my half backs to play in front. Then score on the turnover.

Classic Hawthorn.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back