Traded Tim Kelly [traded with #57 and future 3rd to West Coast for #14, #24, #33 and future 1st]

Who won this trade?

• Geelong

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • West Coast

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it was a fair trade for both sides. I still think the eagles pick ends up being 10 at best for us (no earlier than that as they will win games at home) and this is a weird year..over the longer term he will be a gun for them so 2 teens picks plus 2 2nd rounder for Kelly and 2 3rd rounders I think was fair. from our end with our on trade turning Kelly plus 2 r3s into pick 16 (stephens) plus pick 11 this year and west coasts r1 was as good as you will ever do for an out of contract player. I think we will 'lose' on it in the short term but if we use the picks well over the long term it should turn out pretty even which is how you want most trades to be.

Predictably a few hindsight heroes have popped up after last night.

So is he still "Geelong's best midfielder, worth multiple top 10 picks" or not? Can't have it both ways.
Have you watched us play without him this year? Only the hawks dropping their collective bundle has saved us from total embarrassment.

WCE not gelling right now but I wouldn't put that on TK.

Predictably a few hindsight heroes have popped up after last night.

So is he still "Geelong's best midfielder, worth multiple top 10 picks" or not? Can't have it both ways.
We were a genuine shot at a flag last year. Without Kelly we are really struggling

Geelong used Kelly more effectively than West Coast are doing. Kelly is a jet. Geelong treated him like a jet.
West Coast has lots of jets; the trick will be using him effectively alongside Shuey, Yeo, Gaff and co. The Eagles always seem to take a while for new players to adapt, Yeo and Jetta most recently; maybe they are too rigid at times. That said, Kelly settled in pretty quickly at Geelong do I hope it doesn’t take as long as those two.

It's maybe a little like Ablett in with Danger and Selwood when he first came in. Took a while to work out the balance but once we did we saw a step change

We have been ordinary across the board. Yesterday was the first time since the restart we've shown flashes of what we can do.

Kelly isn't the reason nor has he been a standout.

Every chance of coming out of hub life at 3-3 with at least 7 straight to come at Optus.

Teams hubbing Vs teams at home so far this year....0-7.

Gone early anyone expecting this years pick to be too high I reckon

This season is all over the shop so we are no guarantee of finishing strong. I don't think we are bottom 4 material, but it's possible there isn't much between most teams so far.

No idea what will happen with the draft given how little footy has been played at junior levels, and if the season is canned at some point then what? I'd be pretty filthy to hand over pick 5 because the AFL decided a draft order after 5 games. Geelong would be filthy if the AFL cancelled the draft altogether.

This season is all over the shop so we are no guarantee of finishing strong. I don't think we are bottom 4 material, but it's possible there isn't much between most teams so far.

No idea what will happen with the draft given how little footy has been played at junior levels, and if the season is canned at some point then what? I'd be pretty filthy to hand over pick 5 because the AFL decided a draft order after 5 games. Geelong would be filthy if the AFL cancelled the draft altogether.

It's a small sample size but there's fairly strong evidence to suggest home teams Vs teams living in hubs have a significant advantage.

I totally agree with what you've said, and it's kind of my point in that anything can happen, so calling the trade a failure off some fairly exceptional circumstances so far, is beyond short sighted.

To be fair most Cats supporters have been pretty even handed in their assessment also I have to say.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

West Coast has lots of jets; the trick will be using him effectively alongside Shuey, Yeo, Gaff and co. The Eagles always seem to take a while for new players to adapt, Yeo and Jetta most recently; maybe they are too rigid at times. That said, Kelly settled in pretty quickly at Geelong do I hope it doesn’t take as long as those two.

Doesnt take much to throw a team out of balance - with JJK another year older, finding another route to goal is essential with Willie Rioli OUT.

You can only really gauge a trade relative to your opinion of it when it happened. Any future pick trade has a risk attached to it. People laughed at us for trading our future first to Gold Coast for their future second (with other picks changing hands) and it ended up being pick 18 for pick 19 in pure draft order, and we got two extra picks in the 20s (Allen and Ryan) out of it. Hawthorn traded a future first in 2016 to get O'Meara and then had a down season. So their picks ended up being 16, 7, 18 in a 3 year period and the one they never had available was the 7. That's footy.

There are no Cats fans who would prefer whatever picks they end up with to Kelly re-signing last year. If they end up with pick 5 or something then that's great for them, but it's also not the same outcome as getting pick 5 straight up. If we had early picks we wouldn't have traded all of our later picks.

Eagles went all in for him for another tilt at the flag. With injuries and age against Shuey and Yeo, their midfield looks very, very thin.

Two years on and $900k per year with three years remaining, has the trade been worth it?

Eagles went all in for him for another tilt at the flag. With injuries and age against Shuey and Yeo, their midfield looks very, very thin.

Two years on and $900k per year with three years remaining, has the trade been worth it?
not at this stage.

The only way its a good deal if he starts playing the way he did at Geelong and/or we win a flag.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Kelly is, as he always was, a pretty good player and NOT a 'top 10 mid', 'Geelong's best player' etc.

The trade is, as it was at the time, overs given the position of leverage. The best picks given up were (after shenanigans) 16 in 2019 and 18 last year. If not having those picks sets us back for years ahead then something has gone very wrong.

Well held today (in a 97 point loss) but has been one of our better players so far this year.

looks unfit to me. Doesnt play like hes got anything to prove like he did at Geelong.

I have not seem him play since he left Geelong. Just kinda going but maybe todays game he was not alone there.

Maybe he'll get better and better value for that 800k.

Go Caters

looks unfit to me. Doesnt play like hes got anything to prove like he did at Geelong.

I have not seem him play since he left Geelong. Just kinda going but maybe todays game he was not alone there.

Go Caters
Was our best player when we played saints last year at the Gabba and had been in a few other games. Not really a Shuey type to carry the midfield and that's not why we recruited him anyway.

Go Caters

Depending on how much you think he's being paid, he's been fine to a bit underwhelming. It's not like Geelong have worked magic with the draft picks we gave over either. And, injury permitting, he still has at least three years left in him. Not kicking as many goals but that's because he plays a different role. Has won us a couple of games single-handedly, the big one being Saints away last year when most of our midfield were missing.

Nowhere near a bust even if we don't win a flag before he retires.

Back