Opinion Time to ditch Sweet Caroline

Should we ditch Sweet Caroline ?

• Yes

Votes: 15 71.4%
  • No

Votes: 6 28.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

This is not the song of winners. Time to ditch for something more inspirational.

My vote is either ‘I get knocked down ‘ by Chumbawumba or ‘We are the Champions’ by Queen.
NO! Every sentence you have written there is illogical.

Firstly when have we been "knocked down"? We may (like every other northern states team) cop the thin edge of the wedge from AFL HO, but knocked down - I don't think so.
Secondly what exactly are we the champions of? That song for this upcoming season, belongs to Collingwood.

Whilst I know many on here don't like Sweet Caroline, it's a great sing along song that, from my 20+ years of attending games at the SCG, most seem to enjoy and the Boston Red Sox aren't exactly the world's biggest losers.

This is not the song of winners. Time to ditch for something more inspirational.

My vote is either ‘I get knocked down ‘ by Chumbawumba or ‘We are the Champions’ by Queen.
Great idea! I hate SC with a deep and abiding passion. "We are the Champions" is a good choice. Another is "Eye of the Tiger" or "All Star".

How about Hall of Fame ? ‘You can be the greatest, you can be the best’……
One of the all time great sing along songs.....
Not!!!!

And I love The Script

You do realise that the idea of the QTR time song is a sing-along? To add to the fan experience?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm reminded by Mark Cuban's understanding and explanation of what he bought into when he acquired the Dallas Mavericks. His view is that he's not in the sporting business but rather the entertainment business and that to capture more fans to the wider match day experience that you have to create a great product not just for the rusted on footy fans but for the casuals as well.

I don't like Sweet Caroline either but it's not a choice for the Big Footy Swans fans, it's for the casuals that go to the game for the overall experience.

Now could they find another pub classic that gets everyone chanting? Absolutely.

Would any hypothetical replacement be any better? Probably not, but that's also very subjective.

I wouldn't have one

but if you are doing it , as others said for casual fans and entertainment then just keep it. Have come this far

just win and you can sing whatever the * you want

NO! Every sentence you have written there is illogical.

Firstly when have we been "knocked down"? We may (like every other northern states team) cop the thin edge of the wedge from AFL HO, but knocked down - I don't think so.
Secondly what exactly are we the champions of? That song for this upcoming season, belongs to Collingwood.

Whilst I know many on here don't like Sweet Caroline, it's a great sing along song that, from my 20+ years of attending games at the SCG, most seem to enjoy and the Boston Red Sox aren't exactly the world's biggest losers.
Spot on Jewels. Singing we are the champions when in fact you are not is akin to North Fans singing
“ Their Champions You’ll agree
Nth Melbourne will be premiers just you wait and see “ Like what’s the chances of that 😂

rockin all over the world by status quo is what I'd change it to.

Just imagine if Paps slots a goal after the siren and this starts ringing around the SCG.

rockin all over the world by status quo is what I'd change it to.

Just imagine if Paps slots a goal after the siren and this starts ringing around the SCG.

I gotta give it to darts. It's one of the least likely sports I thought would produce an atmosphere, but everytime I see clips, the crowd is getting involved and right into it. Would be great to attend at least once.

My favourite song to sing at sporting events is You’ll Never Walk Alone (Was spine tingling at Anfield)

(Aware it's sung at other clubs not just Liverpool).

But don't think we need to change Sweet Caroline, majority of the crowd like it and sing along. Plus it helps with an entertaining atmosphere for some fans (know a few diehards who enjoy singing it).

If it helps bring in even 3 people through our gates, it's worth it!

Back