Recommitted Tom McDonald [contracted and staying at Melbourne]

Remove this Banner Ad

Seems the ongoing foot/toe injury has cooked him. Started to show some form in 2019 before injuring his knee but I’m not sure that’s had long term effects. Seems to have lost all agility.
A move back could be the answer but then again will his agility issues impact? Doesn’t seem to be in Goodwins plans so I assume we’ll move him on for not much.

Seems the ongoing foot/toe injury has cooked him. Started to show some form in 2019 before injuring his knee but I’m not sure that’s had long term effects. Seems to have lost all agility.
A move back could be the answer but then again will his agility issues impact? Doesn’t seem to be in Goodwins plans so I assume we’ll move him on for not much.

I think you'll have to move him on for essentially nothing and pay a very large portion of his contract...

TOM McDONALD (MELB)

Draft picks:
Late second-round pick
Value on open market: $450,000-550,000

Overlooked late in the season with the Demons' finals hopes hanging by a thread, McDonald may need to look elsewhere to progress his AFL career. Has battled injuries and form since signing a four-year extension to 2022 early in his breakout 2018 campaign that netted 53 goals. With two years to run on his current deal, a potential suitor could look to smooth his contract out over three or four years to fit his existing deal into their cap.

Has he been thrown down back again at all? I think the hawks would be in the market for a key back for a few years as frawley is our only true kpd atm. Could see him or carlisle coming across for 2-3 years while we develop kozi

Not sure. Probably depends what the contract is worth. If we’re going to be paying 500k a year for the next two seasons we’ll be asking for a better pick in return.

Nobody is really sure. I agree with the AFL article that he's probably worth around $500k a year but is reportedly on around $900k. It's not a great contract from a Melbourne POV.

If Melbourne want him off the books (likely), I see it being a pick around 40 and the Dees covering $300-400k. Sometimes in life and business, you just need to cut your losses. The $500k they 'save' could be put to use in far better places than T-Mac.

Nobody is really sure. I agree with the AFL article that he's probably worth around $500k a year but is reportedly on around $900k. It's not a great contract from a Melbourne POV.

If Melbourne want him off the books (likely), I see it being a pick around 40 and the Dees covering $300-400k. Sometimes in life and business, you just need to cut your losses. The $500k they 'save' could be put to use in far better places than T-Mac.

It’d depend on how much we save and who we can give that money to.

Lol...rubbish

TMac is on 650-700K.
He's physically stuffed. Turning circle of the Queen Mary. Bulked up over pre-season because they wanted him as stay at home full forward. Getting anything for him in a trade would be a bonus.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TMac is on 650-700K.
He's physically stuffed. Turning circle of the Queen Mary. Bulked up over pre-season because they wanted him as stay at home full forward. Getting anything for him in a trade would be a bonus.
Yeah that's what I heard: he 'bulked up' too much, to the point where it restricted his mobility (and maybe his injuries are related to that as well?)

If so, then another club could get a bargain, if all it takes is slimming down and filling a different need.

Yeah that's what I heard: he 'bulked up' too much, to the point where it restricted his mobility (and maybe his injuries are related to that as well?)

If so, then another club could get a bargain, if all it takes is slimming down and filling a different need.

He is actually an interesting prospect.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back