Recommitted Tom Mitchell [contracted and staying at Hawthorn]

If he were to be traded, what would Hawthorn get in return?

• Two good 1st round picks

• Top 10 pick and change

• A 1st & a 2nd

• Later 1st round pick

• Two 2nd rounders

• Early 2nd rounder

• Other 2nd round pick

• Less than a 2nd rounder

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Are Essendon in contention? Geelong have SFA picks to trade this year.

That's why I'm saying it's a short list. A contender with at least one first-rounder up their sleeves who might want to add a player Mitchell's age. And if he wants to stay in Melbourne, the list gets shorter still.

Why would a contending club want him?

2nd rounders would definitely be enough, but Geelong doesn't need him
Yeah I think if Geelong brings in more mid his age they need to be positionally flexible.

Compare Guthrie and Titch in the sense that both could add similar output in 2022/23 and are around the same age. But then consider what happens next.

Say Holmes and Stephens step up and start demanding game time as inside mids. With Guthrie he moves off to the wing where he has been most of his career and is still there to step in if it gets hot. MOC or Stevens start to step up as wings? Then Guthrie moves to half back. A kid steps up there? Play him as a high half forward.

Consider then that Mitchell is either playing at the contest or watching it from the stands. If the tide turns against a side and they have to get games into kids then he'll push the kids out the same way he's pushed Worpel out.

I'd hate if it was a straight swap for a first rounder.

Besides he doesn't seem like he fits our midfield, we are all about streaming forward in waves on the rebound at speed and getting the ball forward quickly at all costs and Mitchell doesn't strike me as that player.

Yeah I think if Geelong brings in more mid his age they need to be positionally flexible.

Compare Guthrie and Titch in the sense that both could add similar output in 2022/23 and are around the same age. But then consider what happens next.

Say Holmes and Stephens step up and start demanding game time as inside mids. With Guthrie he moves off to the wing where he has been most of his career and is still there to step in if it gets hot. MOC or Stevens start to step up as wings? Then Guthrie moves to half back. A kid steps up there? Play him as a high half forward.

Consider then that Mitchell is either playing at the contest or watching it from the stands. If the tide turns against a side and they have to get games into kids then he'll push the kids out the same way he's pushed Worpel out.

Trent cotchin won't be easy to replace Mitchell is about as good as option as any. Chimp to replace chimp.

If he does come to Richmond hopefully they play together for a couple years. Will be a sad day when Trent hangs up the boots.

Cripps might be the better fit but sounds like he is staying

Are Essendon in contention? Geelong have SFA picks to trade this year.

That's why I'm saying it's a short list. A contender with at least one first-rounder up their sleeves who might want to add a player Mitchell's age. And if he wants to stay in Melbourne, the list gets shorter still.

Geelong have plenty of picks because we have 3 second rounders and a future 1st. That said mitchell isnt what we need we need to fill other positions (eg ruck) more than another inside mid.

Geelong have plenty of picks because we have 3 second rounders and a future 1st. That said mitchell isnt what we need we need to fill other positions (eg ruck) more than another inside mid.

Danger and selwood leaving sooner rather than later is a lot of contested possession on the way out

My team bias aside I think you're dreaming if you think Mitchell is worth anything less than a first rounder. There are some things he cant do and never has, but he will get you 30 touches in tight without blinking. His impact this year has been shite moreso due to having no one with talent to give the ball too.

My team bias aside I think you're dreaming if you think Mitchell is worth anything less than a first rounder. There are some things he cant do and never has, but he will get you 30 touches in tight without blinking. His impact this year has been sh*te moreso due to having no one with talent to give the ball too.

It's not going to happen.

First the Hawks have invested so heavily in him and O'Meara, both in picks and team development, to move him on now would be disastrous for the club

Second, he's not worth a first rounder. Not damaging enough.

Just saying there probably aren't many clubs who would be interested.
Maybe a handful.

Ok, i understand, personally i don't think any club would give away a first rounder. Maybe a 2nd or 3rd, especially on the sort of coin the hawks are paying him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's just about cooked by the look of it and his impact on the game has never been massive anyway. Probably worth a second rounder. I could see Carlton selling the farm and coughin up a top 10 pick though...

My team bias aside I think you're dreaming if you think Mitchell is worth anything less than a first rounder. There are some things he cant do and never has, but he will get you 30 touches in tight without blinking. His impact this year has been sh*te moreso due to having no one with talent to give the ball too.

My football memory bank is a bit hazy, but would you say he's been the same player after the broken leg?

As you don't get a Brownlow from spudding it up, seemed like he was on the edge of the precipice of being a A+++ but that killed him.

I would be shocked if the Hawks let him go for anything less than a first rounder.

We have three seconds actually. Two of them will be mid 20s. Not saying that would win if there was a chase but we don't have nothing.
We're talking about first-rounders. So yeah, SFA.

I guess the future first would be relevant.

Last edited:

He is worth that to Hawthorn but no one else. It’s the same story with Cripps at Carlton.

You‘ll need to pay a fair chunk of his salary for the trade to be worth it for all parties.

Nonsense.

I agree, your opinion is nonsense. Around the ground he's a liability, he gets exposed badly. I highly doubt any club would agree to take him on now, especially with what the hawks are paying him and if they want a first rounder. He's just not worth it

Yeah because a late first is nothing like two early seconds. Onya.
There's certainly a material difference if a rebuilding club wants to add another pick in the teens.

As it stands, those two second-rounders, if offered to Hawthorn, would be their fourth and fifth picks at the end of this season. That doesn't represent the kind of improved draft hand that would make it worth trading out Mitchell.

Last edited:
Back