Player Watch Tom Wilson (Delisted 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

This guy had some big wraps when taken as a cat B rookie. He has had some good development time now and with yet another preseason in him. Do we expect much? Has anybody seen him in the VFL? I love that we beat hawks and Geelong for his signature as they have a track record at picking well. Could we see him being a third tall? Cox,checkers and Wilson?

id love to now his traits, from memory he was a good junior talent before taking up basketball?

I think third tall forward is where he will come into the team eventually. I'd be surprised if he played much / any this year. If he did, it would mean 3 of Cox, Reid, Cameron, or Mihocek are all injured... Actually, there is some chance of that given our history.

Has shown during the preseason that he has pretty solid tank (good 2km time trials), and has good skills on both sides. I'd be keen to see his marking (contested in particular) and game sense as the two more important attributes he needs to develop.

He was a free swing so no harm in trying. The fact the hawks and Geelong had interest shows they saw potential. He is obviously professional in his approach due to his basketball level. I just haven’t heard much about his VFL form and I’d be expecting him to really be starting to show signs this year. It obviously takes a few seasons to transition to a new sport but he has that time under his belt now.

I thought I read (at the time) Tom Wilson was considered prospective top 20 (even a bit higher) in his development years but early on chose basketball before returning to AFL last year.
Good luck to him, hope he develops “nicely” for us.

I think third tall forward is where he will come into the team eventually. I'd be surprised if he played much / any this year. If he did, it would mean 3 of Cox, Reid, Cameron, or Mihocek are all injured... Actually, there is some chance of that given our history.

Has shown during the preseason that he has pretty solid tank (good 2km time trials), and has good skills on both sides. I'd be keen to see his marking (contested in particular) and game sense as the two more important attributes he needs to develop.

Add Kelly to that group given the apparent decision to play him forward. The thing in Kelly and Wilson's favour is that they (at this stage in their development) seem more physically suited to a 3rd tall role in partnership with Cox and Checkers who I think start the year as the incumbent KPF's.

Agree third tall forward but none of those players you mentioned except maybe mihocek are that mobile roaming forward option. So I don’t think he had to displace Cox, Reid or Cameron or rely on injury. Every chance to make his debut early in the season imo.

I'm surprised he's being developed as a forward. As a boomers level point guard, his awareness and distribution must have been elite in basketball. I would have thought those attributes would have seen them trying to get him in the midst of chains rather than being on the end of them.

This guy had some big wraps when taken as a cat B rookie. He has had some good development time now and with yet another preseason in him. Do we expect much? Has anybody seen him in the VFL? I love that we beat hawks and Geelong for his signature as they have a track record at picking well. Could we see him being a third tall? Cox,checkers and Wilson?

id love to now his traits, from memory he was a good junior talent before taking up basketball?

Not a ruck forward type and probably not a permanent full forward at AFL level - doesn’t have the bulk.

As you said, can run well. Could feasibly replace Mihocek high half forward role if he were injured. Or potentially he could play alongside Mihocek if Elliot were injured or the forward line were to be structured differently.

Saw him dominate for patches late in an away VFL game to Werribee. Led up the flanks and launch himself at the aerial ball. If he can do more of that after a proper preseason then he will play senior footy.

From memory the kicking may have required more work though.

Bit of a surprise they are now playing him on the wing.
I've never seen him play, but I like it. From a basketball point of view - a point guards strengths are generally composure, balance, lateral movemnet, awareness and decision making with ball in hand. Recruiting a point guard to become a KPF always seemed odd to me.

Add Kelly to that group given the apparent decision to play him forward. The thing in Kelly and Wilson's favour is that they (at this stage in their development) seem more physically suited to a 3rd tall role in partnership with Cox and Checkers who I think start the year as the incumbent KPF's.

Wilson kicking on is crucial to any plans of playing JDG through the middle. Kelly seems ideally placed to step into Cox’s role post the end of his current contract should Cox not find the consistency we need from him.

The big issue and one that is still vexing is Dunn receiving the last spot on the list. The primary issue is that both Wilson and Keane remain category B rookies. If both tear it up at VFL level we need to wait on two LTI’s to give them a look in. It’s likely that Greenwood and Langdon provide those spots, but I’m uncomfortable with potentially relying on serious injury to give guys a crack.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a ruck forward type and probably not a permanent full forward at AFL level - doesn’t have the bulk.

As you said, can run well. Could feasibly replace Mihocek high half forward role if he were injured. Or potentially he could play alongside Mihocek if Elliot were injured or the forward line were to be structured differently.

Saw him dominate for patches late in an away VFL game to Werribee. Led up the flanks and launch himself at the aerial ball. If he can do more of that after a proper preseason then he will play senior footy.

From memory the kicking may have required more work though.

Don’t rate Brodie?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wilson kicking on is crucial to any plans of playing JDG through the middle. Kelly seems ideally placed to step into Cox’s role post the end of his current contract should Cox not find the consistency we need from him.

The big issue and one that is still vexing is Dunn receiving the last spot on the list. The primary issue is that both Wilson and Keane remain category B rookies. If both tear it up at VFL level we need to wait on two LTI’s to give them a look in. It’s likely that Greenwood and Langdon provide those spots, but I’m uncomfortable with potentially relying on serious injury to give guys a crack.

Beams possibly as well.

I am okay with the Dunn decision. How often over the last two years would we have loved to have Dunn fit? We'd probably have another flag at least. We haven't really added anything else to our tell defender stocks, so the depth is very important.

Beams possibly as well.

I am okay with the Dunn decision. How often over the last two years would we have loved to have Dunn fit? We'd probably have another flag at least. We haven't really added anything else to our tell defender stocks, so the depth is very important.
How long do you think Dunn will last as a viable player? Surely 2 ACLs in a row tells a story in itself. I like the guy too but if there is anyone fit and ready waiting in the wings maybe we should go with someone younger and more reliable. If he is the best of the rest then I can live with the decision to keep him on the list. However let's not complain if he breaks down and cannot play out the season.

How long do you think Dunn will last as a viable player? Surely 2 ACLs in a row tells a story in itself. I like the guy too but if there is anyone fit and ready waiting in the wings maybe we should go with someone younger and more reliable. If he is the best of the rest then I can live with the decision to keep him on the list. However let's not complain if he breaks down and cannot play out the season.

I agree we shouldn't complain if he breaks down. Worth the risk and costs nothing to retain (unless the highly unlikely situation you describe, which is both Keane and Wilson are demanding spots in the seniors and only one availability at the most). If we can get him back towards his best (let's remember he was one of the best 1v1 defenders in the league when he did his first knee), then he is excellent depth in case EITHER of Roughead or Moore (hihgly injury prone himself) goes down. And that is not even considering the leadership he provides.

I get the preference to use the spot instead for a young player to develop (and that is usually the right approach), but the fact is the time for us in now and our window is closing fast. If we miss this year and next we will need a rebuild, and that young player almost certainly won't be helping us this year or next.

Beams possibly as well.

True with Beams its a real possibility which I had momentarily forgotten about! In 18-19 Dunn definitely would have come in handy, but I’m very bullish on Keane so at this stage I’d prefer him readily available for selection over Dunn returning from 2 recos and unlikely to ever get back to his best. The best way I can leave it is that’s it’s not the direction I’d have taken and I’m not losing sleep over it. Although I will if he starts to have soft tissue injuries.

Might only have 1 Year Left

Might also break down again without playing a game - like last time, and be gone for the year. Or he might surprise us all and play every game in the seniors. Lots of ifs, buts and maybes with Dunn.

Anything is Possible

I would go youth over Dunn.

We have. Kelly, Keane, Tohill and Moore is still relatively young. How may more do you want? If not Dunn it should have been another mature tall, not another kid. Someone like Walker.

If Moore goes down and none of the kids are ready we need a mature option. Not another kid. Whether Dunn was the right mature option is another question.

We have. Kelly, Keane, Tohill and Moore is still relatively young. How may more do you want? If not Dunn it should have been another mature tall, not another kid. Someone like Walker.

If Moore goes down and none of the kids are ready we need a mature option. Not another kid. Whether Dunn was the right mature option is another question.
I concede those points but my feeling is that Dunn if he is fit enough to play, will need time to get back to his best and at 33, the footy he plays may well be below what is best ever was anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back