Mega Thread Trade/Draft/Delist SuperMegaUltrathread - 2016/17 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty sure his services are no longer required

Tho I could be wrong

Pretty sure you are. When Rawlings took over list management Battiston got shifted to Melbourne in what seems to me to be a demotion, but I don't think there's been any change to Vozzo's role.

It concerns me how long players are on our list without becoming regular players.
For me if we draft a young midfielder at age 18 by the time he is 21 he should be well entrenched in the best 22. Injuries pending of course.
That is 3 years, recruited because of their ability and sit in the WAFL year after year. Now all clubs need depth but every recruit seems to be depth for us.
I also don't feel we give them enough opportunity, we keep just playing the same guys week in week out and get the same end result.
Many comment our development is poor and that could be the problem but no club can be as unlucky as we seem to be with the continued drafting of players to just play at East Perth.
Some players need to earn their spot and others you need to just keep playing them. We have pumped games into Duggan and he may or may not have a bright future. But to many drafted players are sitting at east perth after 3-5 years on our list. they either can or they can't. What are we waiting for with some of these guys?

Pretty sure you are. When Rawlings took over list management Battiston got shifted to Melbourne in what seems to me to be a demotion, but I don't think there's been any change to Vozzo's role.

Its-Always-Sunny-God-Damn-It.gif

It concerns me how long players are on our list without becoming regular players.
For me if we draft a young midfielder at age 18 by the time he is 21 he should be well entrenched in the best 22. Injuries pending of course.
That is 3 years, recruited because of their ability and sit in the WAFL year after year. Now all clubs need depth but every recruit seems to be depth for us.
I also don't feel we give them enough opportunity, we keep just playing the same guys week in week out and get the same end result.
Many comment our development is poor and that could be the problem but no club can be as unlucky as we seem to be with the continued drafting of players to just play at East Perth.
Some players need to earn their spot and others you need to just keep playing them. We have pumped games into Duggan and he may or may not have a bright future. But to many drafted players are sitting at east perth after 3-5 years on our list. they either can or they can't. What are we waiting for with some of these guys?
Other teams rotate players through the middle.

But to many drafted players are sitting at east perth after 3-5 years on our list. they either can or they can't. What are we waiting for with some of these guys?

Guys currently in that category:
Karpany - debuted this year, his third on the list.
McInnes - ruck/KPP depth
Tunbridge - Club sees something in him

That's not exactly a plethora of blokes we're hanging on to hoping they'll develop.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rookies since Priddis and Armstrong were taken in 2006 (not including redrafted players like Houlihan, Newman, Colledge):
McNamara, Spaanderman, Cones, Stevenson, Arrowsmith, Sullivan, Cilson, Davis, Bedford, Cockie, Broome, Strijk, Hams, JON, Hamp, McGovern, Mascoulis, Papertalk, Tunbridge, Dick, Sinclair, Bennell, Maginness, Powell, Lucas, Adamson, Brophy, Snadden

28 players. Four (McGovern, Hams, Sinclair, Bennell) played more than 20 games. Exactly half have been delisted without playing a game. Gov, Brophy, Snadden and at this stage Tunbridge are still on the list.
Really only 2 out of 28, so a 7% hit rate.

I mistakenly thought Hawthorn had a good record with rookies, but they have only really picked up Breust, Langford, Ceglar, Suckling and McGlynn in that time.

Where Hawthorn (and Syd/WB) has absolutely killed it is the later ND picks.

Guys currently in that category:
Karpany - debuted this year, his third on the list.
McInnes - ruck/KPP depth
Tunbridge - Club sees something in him

That's not exactly a plethora of blokes we're hanging on to hoping they'll develop.
Thankfully we delisted a few in that category this year, but probably a year or two too late (Lucas should never had two years on the list)

Thankfully we delisted a few in that category this year, but probably a year or two too late (Lucas should never had two years on the list)

Only Colledge really.

He would have been axed after three years but for some reason we'd given him a two year deal after he played two games with no impact in his second year.

Only Colledge really.

He would have been axed after three years but for some reason we'd given him a two year deal after he played two games with no impact in his second year.
Ginners

I really need to stop reading this thread....

Its like a train wreck, just can't look away.

I also keep refreshing this thread expecting to hear that Lobb, Hogan, Coniglio, Swallow and (eventually) Mitchell have nominated us and refuse to play anywhere else next year.

I've been interested in how quickly we turn over our list and whether these come from drafts or trades...

Looking at the last 5 years of our 'top 25' players (based on games played, which generally means those with 10+ games in a year), I've looked at how often a new player breaks into what you'd consider our 'Best 22' rotations each year...

2011:
Darling, Gaff, Shuey

2012:
Brennan, Hill

2013:
Cripps

2014:
Bennell, Ellis, Hutchings, Lycett, McGovern, Wellingham, Yeo

2015:
Duggan, Nelson, Sheed, Sinclair

2016:
Barrass, Jetta, Redden

Of those players we've introduced; 16 (bolded) are currently in our 'best 22' list, with 10 coming from the draft and 6 from players we've traded in.
Guys who've been in the team for basically the whole time:
Sheppard, Butler, Hurn, Le Cras, Kennedy, Priddis, Naitanui, Masten, Schofield

What's been impressive is that only 4 players we've introduced aren't still in the team, so once a player gets to 10+ games in a season they tend to stick around.
The thing we're not seeing is players breaking into the 'best 22' a year or so after they're drafted (most of those draftees broke into the team straight away).
So perhaps we do get a bit comfortable with the team we put out each week, without giving enough of a go for other blokes in the squad.

I'd say only Hutchings and Hill are on shaky ground in terms on best 22 (I'll give Redden and Jetta another year), so the success rate is pretty high.

So while we obviously need to continue bringing in some good talent, I do wonder whether we'll see much development from those guys who we've already drafted, as recent history suggests they may struggle to break into the team...

Where Hawthorn (and Syd/WB) has absolutely killed it is the later ND picks.
Helps if you get two decent mids rated top 15 in their draft class for picks 22 and 41. Also helps if a team who owns 8 of the top 15 picks didn't want either of them.

Then 2 years later, it again helps if you can grab another mid in the third round that another team wanted in the second.

West Coast are yet to really cash in on the Father/Son or Academy concessions that the current grand finalists have reaped a crop of midfielders from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back