Mega Thread Trade/Draft/Delist SuperMegaUltrathread - 2016/17 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really like the look of Drew - was only 17 at the champs. Hopefully a slider lasts to our second pick!

he wasn't even playing midfield in the champs. I think half back. Come a long way since then. I read a few scouts reports of him from the AFLDraftCentral website and instantly fell in love with the way he goes a bout with things. he sounds like a real heart n soul type player that won't leave any stone unturned for his club. We just haven't had one since waters and scooter before he went full blown spud.

Apparently next years draft is meant to be better than next years with more elite end talent and with a lot of KPP. Could use our first pick next year to draft a good tall and develop him to be JK's successor or use it to lure hogan or lobb next season.

I would say at this stage next years draft pool has much better top end talent but much less depth. Next year you will really, really want a top 6-8 pick where as picks 20-40 won't be anywhere near as good as this year particularly in regards to talented smalls. I'd happily go into next years draft with just a second rounder and third rounder and look to take best available talls or if we think we might drop off next year (high likelihood imo) we may be better off trying to trade next years second for a second rounder this year and keeping next years first. Either way i really, really want us to have 3 picks inside the top 30 this year.

I would say at this stage next years draft pool has much better top end talent but much less depth. Next year you will really, really want a top 6-8 pick where as picks 20-40 won't be anywhere near as good as this year particularly in regards to talented smalls. I'd happily go into next years draft with just a second rounder and third rounder and look to take best available talls or if we think we might drop off next year (high likelihood imo) we may be better off trying to trade next years second for a second rounder this year and keeping next years first. Either way i really, really want us to have 3 picks inside the top 30 this year.
we if we trade our first for two early second rounders (brissy could get an end of first compo a nd their second rounder) for pick 12. That would leave us with 3 inside the top

Apparently next years draft is meant to be better than next years with more elite end talent and with a lot of KPP. Could use our first pick next year to draft a good tall and develop him to be JK's successor or use it to lure hogan or lobb next season.
I get where you're coming from. There are still KPP options in this draft, and in my opinion midfielders are the priority. Kerr may be there at our pick, Marshall will likely be gone. If we could maximise our Top 30 position this year and pick up some talent we'll be looking good for the future. We won a premiership with Lynch, Hansen and Hunter as a swingman. I'd back us to be ok for the end of Kennedy's career if we still have Darling, a developing Waterman and possibly Allen (if we're lucky).

I get where you're coming from. There are still KPP options in this draft, and in my opinion midfielders are the priority. Kerr may be there at our pick, Marshall will likely be gone. If we could maximise our Top 30 position this year and pick up some talent we'll be looking good for the future. We won a premiership with Lynch, Hansen and Hunter as a swingman. I'd back us to be ok for the end of Kennedy's career if we still have Darling, a developing Waterman and possibly Allen (if we're lucky).
im not sold on kerr. he could be a decent second tall. Marshall is ok but i have heard he is a bit lazy and the thought of lamb just comes into my mind. Yes i agree about mids but having 3 once in a generational mids is once in a blue moon kinda thing. Those years we also had exceptional goal kicking mids and now days not every elite mid is a gun goal kicking mids. I agree about midfielders but we also need to have one eye on the future and not have another period where we have an abundance of one sort of player and lack in other areas. I think Emac should be offloaded for a second rounder making 3 top 30 picks.

Really like the look of Drew - was only 17 at the champs. Hopefully a slider lasts to our second pick!

He maybe be a Oliver style bolter,maybe not that extreme but don't think he would be there at our second

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

We won a premiership with those three but probably our greatest ever midfield. Our midfield back then kicked most of our goals so we didn't really need a kennedy type player

We won a premiership with those three but probably our greatest ever midfield. Our midfield back then kicked most of our goals so we didn't really need a kennedy type player

Lynch did kick 60+ in our flag year...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

According to all the rumours this years trade/FA period has the potential to be the most rage-inducing of all time. Petrie & Ballantyne in, missing out on Mitchell for the sake of a second rounder. Nisbett should fire Rawlings on the spot if this all happens.

As far as im concerned Nisbett also needs to go. The structure of our football club and the ideas in which we seem to move forward with are very, very stale and as every year passes fall further and further away from different league leaders.

As far as im concerned Nisbett also needs to go. The structure of our football club and the ideas in which we seem to move forward with are very, very stale and as every year passes fall further and further away from different league leaders.
Need a younger person with fresh ideas to come in, at one time we were the most innovative club in the country, now we just seem to be floating along using the same old ideas we've used for the last 15 years

Last edited:
I really don't care if we get Petrie, and can't quite understand the rage. He'll cost us nothing, and he'll probably play a handful of games get injured a few times, and be gone by seasons end. It'll be like Ellis, but probably with a little less impact. If we were playing him ahead of Nic nat, of Lycett, fair enough, rage on, but he might fill a gap for a few games. If not, who cares, he'll be gone before we know it, and we'll all forget about him, unless he plays in our 2017 premiership:D

It concerns me how long players are on our list without becoming regular players.
For me if we draft a young midfielder at age 18 by the time he is 21 he should be well entrenched in the best 22. Injuries pending of course.
That is 3 years, recruited because of their ability and sit in the WAFL year after year. Now all clubs need depth but every recruit seems to be depth for us.
I also don't feel we give them enough opportunity, we keep just playing the same guys week in week out and get the same end result.
Many comment our development is poor and that could be the problem but no club can be as unlucky as we seem to be with the continued drafting of players to just play at East Perth.
Some players need to earn their spot and others you need to just keep playing them. We have pumped games into Duggan and he may or may not have a bright future. But to many drafted players are sitting at east perth after 3-5 years on our list. they either can or they can't. What are we waiting for with some of these guys?
This. Been saying this for years. Spot on!

I really don't care if we get Petrie, and can't quite understand the rage. He'll cost us nothing, and he'll probably play a handful of games get injured a few times, and be gone by seasons end. It'll be like Ellis, but probably with a little less impact. If we were playing him ahead of Nic nat, of Lycett, fair enough, rage on, but he might fill a gap for a few games. If not, who cares, he'll be gone before we know it, and we'll all forget about him, unless he plays in our 2017 premiership:D

My issue is that we should be looking to take a chance on a young ruck, who might cost the same or a little more.

With the added upside of potentially being a long-term replacement for NN at best, or to push out Giles at worst.

Expectations on Petrie are as low as they come, so why not get a young bloke with some potential upside.

My concern is that it's an absolute waste of a list spot. A few pages back someone posted a list of rookie picks from Sydney & the Western Bulldogs who are in their best 22 now, and that's just rookie list draftees. No matter how unlikely there's a chance that Petrie would be taking the spot of the next Cox, Priddis or McGovern. We know what Petrie can do, and at this stage in his career I'm afraid it's basically f** all. We don't know what the late draft pick/rookie pick we would be foregoing for the sake of picking up Petrie could turn into. It's why I hate when we pick up other teams trash as well, we know what we're getting and 99% of the time it's average trash. We need to take more chances on potential with our late picks/rookie picks and turn them over more quickly when they don't look like working out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back