Universal Love TRTT Part 9: Eat my ass you absolute man child

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watching the start of On Her Majesty's Secret Service with George Lazenby as Bond with Dianna gotta decent Rigg as the Bond Girl. Buggered if I know when the last time I watched this was, but gotta be over 40 years.

Too early to tell if it is as crappy as all the critics said, but very easy to pick up Lazenby's clipped Aussie accent. Would have been a bit of a shock at the time after Connery's strong Scottish accent in the first 5 films.

Watching the start of On Her Majesty's Secret Service with George Lazenby as Bond with Dianna gotta decent Rigg as the Bond Girl. Buggered if I know when the last time I watched this was, but gotta be over 40 years.

Too early to tell if it is as crappy as all the critics said, but very easy to pick up Lazenby's clipped Aussie accent. Would have been a bit of a shock at the time after Connery's strong Scottish accent in the first 5 films.
It is a bit different, but it's my favourite Bond film.

Mate it isn't crappy at all, one of the best.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Call me a weirdo but I'm definitely in the minority of people that isn't too interested in travel.

Each to their own. If everyone did it, there’d be nowhere to go.
Most people prefer the idea to the reality.

Mate it isn't crappy at all, one of the best.

Looks like with the benefit of time it has been reassessed after being bagged by maybe pompous reviewers at the time.

Retrospective reviews
Modern reception to the film has been more favorable. Film critic James Berardinelli summed this up in his review of the movie: "with the exception of one production aspect, [it] is by far the best entry of the long-running James Bond series. The film contains some of the most exhilarating action sequences ever to reach the screen, a touching love story, and a nice subplot that has agent 007 crossing (and even threatening to resign from) Her Majesty's Secret Service."[72] Lazenby is frequently quoted as the weakest Bond,[73][74] although Connery, Moore, Dalton,[75] and Craig[76] have rated his performance.
The American film reviewer Leonard Maltin has suggested that if it had been Connery in the leading role instead of Lazenby, On Her Majesty's Secret Service would have epitomised the series.[77] On the other hand, Danny Peary wrote, "I'm not sure I agree with those who insist that if Connery had played Bond it would definitely be the best of the entire Bond series ... Connery's Bond, with his boundless humor and sense of fun and self-confidence, would be out of place in this picture. It actually works better with Lazenby because he is incapable of playing Bond as a bigger-than-life hero; for one thing he hasn't the looks ... Lazenby's Bond also hasn't the assurance of Connery's Bond and that is appropriate in the crumbling, depressing world he finds himself. He seems vulnerable and jittery at times. At the skating rink, he is actually scared. We worry about him

The filmmaker Steven Soderbergh writes that "For me there's no question that cinematically On Her Majesty's Secret Service is the best Bond film and the only one worth watching repeatedly for reasons other than pure entertainment ... Shot to shot, this movie is beautiful in a way none of the other Bond films are".[80] The director Christopher Nolan also saw On Her Majesty's Secret Service as his favourite Bond film; in describing its influence on his own film, Inception, Nolan said, "What I liked about it that we've tried to emulate in this film is there's a tremendous balance in that movie of action and scale and romanticism and tragedy and emotion."[81]

The review-aggregation website Rotten Tomatoes gives the film a score of 81% based on 48 reviews, and a weighted average of 6.8 out of 10. The website's critical consensus states, "George Lazenby's only appearance as 007 is a fine entry in the series, featuring one of the most intriguing Bond girls in Tracy di Vincenzo (Diana Rigg), breathtaking visuals, and some great ski chases."[82] IGN ranked On Her Majesty's Secret Service as the eighth best Bond film,[83] Entertainment Weekly as the sixth,[84] and Norman Wilner of MSN, as the fifth best.[85] Digital Spy listed the film as the best James Bond film to date. The film also became a fan favourite, seeing "ultimate success in the home video market".[86] In September 2012 it was announced that On Her Majesty's Secret Service had topped a poll of Bond fans run by 007 Magazine to determine the greatest ever Bond film. Goldfinger came second in the poll and From Russia With Love was third.[87]

Contemporary reviews
The majority of reviews were critical of either the film, Lazenby, or both, while most of the contemporary reviews in the British press referred to George Lazenby at some point as "The Big Fry", a reference to his previous acting in Fry's Chocolate advertisements.[64] Derek Malcolm of The Guardian was dismissive of Lazenby's performance, saying that he "is not a good actor and though I never thought Sean Connery was all that stylish either, there are moments when one yearns for a little of his louche panache."[65] For all the criticism of Lazenby, however, Malcolm says that the film was "quite a jolly frolic in the familiar money-spinning fashion".[65] Tom Milne, writing in The Observer was even more scathing, saying that "I ... fervently trust (OHMSS) will be the last of the James Bond films. All the pleasing oddities and eccentricities and gadgets of the earlier films have somehow been lost, leaving a routine trail through which the new James Bond strides without noticeable signs of animation."[66]

(Log in to remove this ad.)

However I like Foster's.

I think the only time I ever watched Neighbours was when I was 'dating' a lady a few years younger than me who was addicted to that shit. And Cue shops - spent what seemed like hours outside the fitting rooms of those places, telling her that no, it doesn't make your bum look big darls.

And yeah, Crown Lager is acceptable when there's nothing else on offer.

It's a good movie. Not top 5, but in the top dozen. Dianna Rigg (taking all Bond girls as they were at the time of their Bond movie) is my favourite Bond Girl. Had the pleasure of hearing Lazenby talk at the Astor in Melbourne several years ago before they did a screening of OHMSS. He was very Bond and did manage to score with Rigg. Until the crew clued her in that she wasn't the only one on set getting the 007 treatment ;) He got absolute shit advice from his then Manager about doing another Bond film (they wanted him to, but his manager advised against).

lol how did I not know Jean Clauede Van Damme had an affair with Kylie Minogue on the set of Street Fighter while his wife was pregnant?

Really? There was a sex tape and everything.

IIRC he had a seven movie contract in front of him and his manager said there was no future in the series.
Yep from George's wiki page.

Although Lazenby had been offered a contract for seven movies, his agent, Ronan O'Rahilly, convinced him that the secret agent would be archaic in the liberated 1970s, and as a result he left the series after the release of On Her Majesty's Secret Service in 1969.

I don't remember the bobsleigh scene near the end, but it was a ripper piece of cinematography and really well shot to go with some excellent skiing scenes shot with what would have been bulky cameras for the day. Reckon I had never seen the last 20 minutes or so before tonight.

316a111ba94ec9d7fe57dffa0ab5071ff7118c62.jpg

United airlines CEO warns of massive job losses if not given buyout, July 15 2019 there board order 3 billion in buybacks

Classic corporation shit right there lol
If this goes for another 2 or 3 months at this rate, most national carrier airlines that were privatized in the last 30 years will be re-nationalized. NZ has already started the ball rolling by offering NZ Airlines $900m loan - that IMO will get converted to equity at some point.

When each jet costs $100m+ and you have lease payments on hundreds of them and you have to ground them for months, and travel wont pick up for years, people will have to dip into savings, they wont be taking international flights until they know both their physical health and financial health has been restored.

Wouldn't be surprised to see 2019 levels of demand for international and domestic flights worldwide, be meet again until about 2025-27 years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back