VFL VFL finals 2016 - who's eligible in OP (discussion to qualifying final thread please)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, fair comment. I had assumed that Mason had already played enough VFL games to qualify.

For his development I think him winning a premiership in the VFL far outweighs any more games in the AFL.
That's why I thought the PR thing today was a weird move.

Totally different scenario to the people calling for De Goey and Moore to go back to the VFL because of poor form.

For his development I think him winning a premiership in the VFL far outweighs any more games in the AFL.

Totally different scenario to the people calling for De Goey and Moore to go back to the VFL because of poor form.

I agree with your first sentence CFC, but not with the second. Anyway, hopefully Mason will have the opportunity to play in the VFL if we make it to the GF. We will need him, and Witts was injured today!

Great news with Northern Blues having a bye remaining (R19) our finals spot is now guaranteed.

Toovey locked in his qualification with week. With Oxley having now played 6 VFL games, ignoring those injured (Langdon, Ramsay, Swan / Scharenberg, Elliott) we're basically left with 2 groups who's eligibility is pending.

1.) Eligible unless they play more than 12 AFL games

Oxley (10 AFL)
Frost (10 AFL)
2.) Not eligible unless they play no more than 12 AFL games AND play 6 VFL games

Brown (12 AFL, 3 VFL)
White (12 AFL, 4 VFL)
Aish (11 AFL, 4 VFL)
Cloke (11 AFL, 5 VFL)
Cox (10 AFL, 3 VFL)

Williams (8 AFL, 4 VFL) - can't play more than 12 AFL games

Bit of talk about who's eligible and how to approach VFL finals should we lock in spot and it's probably easier to have a dedicated thread. It's highly unlikely we make AFL finals, but I've included that eligibility criteria to give an idea of what restrictions an AFL aligned opposition may have.

EDIT: As of VFL R17 we've locked in a VFL finals place!

Eligibility criteria - no AFL finals
  • 1 AFL / VFL game
  • 6 VFL games if play AFL after 1st July (Round 15)
  • no more than 12 AFL games
Eligibility criteria - AFL finals

VFL finals week 1 and the AFL bye
  • player must not have played AFL in round 23
VFL finals week 2 onwards
  • can play anyone while your AFL side is still active
Official eligibility criteria (it's 2015, but to my knowledge the only change is a provision for the AFL bye)

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=1-118-0-0-0&sID=277333

Current state of play, updated to end of AFL R19, VFL R17

344wbqw.jpg

red fill = injured, green fill = played AFL, light green fill = played VFL

Eligible (can’t play > 12 AFL games + reached 6 VFL games)

F: Toovey ~ Marsh ~
HB: Golds ~ Goldsack ~
C: Broomhead ~ Goodyear ~ Sier
HF: Phillips ~ Gault ~ Crocker
F: ~ Wyatt ~
R: Witts ~ Macaffer ~ Wills

Provisionally eligible

Oxley: 10 AFL
Frost: 10 AFL

Both have played at least 6 VFL games, so the AFL after R15 clause is negated, so it comes down to whether or not they play more than 12 AFL games. More than 12 AFL games would make either ineligible.

Provisionally ineligible

Brown: 12 AFL, 3 VFL
White: 12 AFL, 4 VFL
Aish: 11 AFL, 4 VFL
Cloke: 11 AFL, 5 VFL
Cox: 10 AFL, 3 VFL​

Williams: 8 AFL, 4 VFL

All have played AFL after R15 and therefore need to play 6 VFL games to become eligible. Williams cannot play no more than 12 games, however the others can and would be confirmed ineligible on a 13th AFL match.
Ineligible
Note: I assume no more than 12 games means that a 13th match rules a player ineligible.

Fasolo, De Goey, Grundy, Treloar, Pendlebury
Blair, Adams, Varcoe, Greenwood, Reid
Sidebottom, Crisp, Sinclair, Moore, Maynard
Howe, Smith​

Injured (unlikely to play again in 2016)

Provisionally eligible

Langdon
Ramsay
Swan

Eligible unless they play AFL from R15 onwards

Provisionally ineligible

Elliott
Scharenberg

Neither have played a match in 2016, so therefore are currently ineligible. Would need to play VFL, but not AFL before the year is out

I'll try and keep this updated. Please let me know if I've mucked up any of the info and I'll edit accordingly.
Wanted to say thanks for putting eligible ones in team form with positions.
Just makes it so easy to follow

Despite any other provision in Rule 20, the General Manager of AFL Victoria (or nominee) may deem any Player eligible to play in any VFL Finals Series Match.

Is there any chance the club will put in a request to make Mason eligible? Him being a Category B rookie who needs as much game-time as possible might be a good enough case for him to get an exemption. May as well give it a go?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd like the VFL team to do well.
Even a flag.
But!
To me it's always more important to be a feeder and development team for the seniors.
Seniors needs first then VFL success can follow if need be

I'd like the VFL team to do well.
Even a flag.
But!
To me it's always more important to be a feeder and development team for the seniors.
Seniors needs first then VFL success can follow if need be

Bollocks to that. I want to see a flag, any god dam flag!

Is there any chance the club will put in a request to make Mason eligible? Him being a Category B rookie who needs as much game-time as possible might be a good enough case for him to get an exemption. May as well give it a go?

This clause doesn't get invoked all that often. And when it does, it generally tends to be for players who have missed gaps of footy through injury and need the conditioning but just aren't eligible under the normal criteria.

For example, Hawthorn/Box Hill filed an application two years ago to allow Ben McEvoy to play in a VFL prelim against Williamstown in order to get him fit for the AFL Grand Final (McEvoy had played in the VFL qualifying final a fortnight earlier, because of the clause that allowed for unrestricted selection for teams whose AFL and VFL sides were playing the same weekend, but was ineligible for the prelim having not played enough games). AFL Victoria granted them the exemption. Williamstown took it to the VFL Appeals Board but lost. McEvoy starred in that prelim, Box Hill won by a kick and Big Boy went on to play in a flag at Hawthorn two weeks later.

So, while the bureaucrats at AFL Victoria tend to be amiable towards helping AFL clubs, they aren't puppets. As such, I sincerely doubt they would let Cox play just because Collingwood was indifferent enough to play Cox enough times to qualify and they want to enrich his development by playing him in September.

That being said, it really only becomes an issue if Moore misses next week as well...

No way, the standard of a VFL grand final would be several steps down from an AFL match up of even the two worst teams. Brisbane would beat any VFL match up by 30 goals. The crowd at any Collingwood game would be significantly larger than a VFL grand final crowd. Not to mention the defeatist message it sends to our players and the rest of the competition about what we aspire to as a club. I can't think of any justification for sacrificing AFL experience for VFL finals.

No way, the standard of a VFL grand final would be several steps down from an AFL match up of even the two worst teams. Brisbane would beat any VFL match up by 30 goals. The crowd at any Collingwood game would be significantly larger than a VFL grand final crowd. Not to mention the defeatist message it sends to our players and the rest of the competition about what we aspire to as a club. I can't think of any justification for sacrificing AFL experience for VFL finals.

A second year American learning our game IMO will get more out of playing MORE games especially finals than playing in front of our "massive" o_O AFL Clubs.

The defeatist message didn't ever come to mind with me. He would be the exception to the rule considering his background.

A second year American learning our game IMO will get more out of playing MORE games especially finals than playing in front of our "massive" o_O AFL Clubs.

The defeatist message didn't ever come to mind with me. He would be the exception to the rule considering his background.
He'll get better experience out of playing a few more AFL games than the extra 1 or 2 games in the VFL he loses from not qualifying. Also I highly doubt the club is worried about losing VFL experience considering they were prepared to rest him for a month and to meet Biden.

Wanted to say thanks for putting eligible ones in team form with positions.
Just makes it so easy to follow
Cheers mate. We look quite strong down back and some of our best VFL players in Pendlebury, Smith and Kelly further strength that. Up forward is a different matter though, not many AFL options and it's also an area where we don't have a lot of VFL depth. It's make Cox important to our finals chances, especially if Close and Still don't come up from injury.

Ok Brisbane would beat any VFL team but not by 30 goals FFS. Some VFL teams this year have had 6-8 players that would walk into Brisbane's side. The crowd would also be larger than our game against GWS and rival that against Freo not that the crowd size means any anything in regards to a players development.

I also think Cox doing well as the main man in a successful team would do more for his confidence than struggling in AFL dead rubbers.

Brown and White now ineligible.

Who's left:

Cloke and Aish should hold their senior spots against the 'dogs and become ineligible

Oxley and Frost will be eligible unless they play the remaining 3 AFL games, Brown's form is a worry here if he's dropped you'd think Frost would play the year out in the ones.

Cox needs to play all 3 VFL games remaining, if there's sense to selection he'll be back in the VFL this week even if Moore isn't available

Williams needs to play 2 of the last 3 VFL games, form isn't good so a chance he drops back

Bit of talk about who's eligible and how to approach VFL finals should we lock in spot and it's probably easier to have a dedicated thread. It's highly unlikely we make AFL finals, but I've included that eligibility criteria to give an idea of what restrictions an AFL aligned opposition may have.

EDIT: As of VFL R17 we've locked in a VFL finals place!

Eligibility criteria - no AFL finals
  • 1 AFL / VFL game
  • 6 VFL games if play AFL after 1st July (Round 15)
  • no more than 12 AFL games
Eligibility criteria - AFL finals

VFL finals week 1 and the AFL bye
  • player must not have played AFL in round 23
VFL finals week 2 onwards
  • can play anyone while your AFL side is still active
Official eligibility criteria (it's 2015, but to my knowledge the only change is a provision for the AFL bye)

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=1-118-0-0-0&sID=277333

Current state of play, updated to end of AFL R20, VFL R18

344wbqw.jpg

red fill = injured, green fill = played AFL, light green fill = played VFL

Eligible (can’t play > 12 AFL games + reached 6 VFL games)

F: Toovey ~ Marsh ~
HB: Golds ~ Goldsack ~
C: Broomhead ~ Goodyear ~ Sier
HF: Phillips ~ Gault ~ Crocker
F: ~ Wyatt ~
R: Witts ~ Macaffer ~ Wills

Provisionally eligible

Oxley: 10 AFL
Frost: 10 AFL

Both have played at least 6 VFL games, so the AFL after R15 clause is negated, so it comes down to whether or not they play more than 12 AFL games. More than 12 AFL games would make either ineligible.

Provisionally ineligible

Aish: 12 AFL, 4 VFL
Cloke: 12 AFL, 5 VFL
Cox: 11 AFL, 3 VFL​

Williams: 9 AFL, 4 VFL

All have played AFL after R15 and therefore need to play 6 VFL games to become eligible. Williams cannot play no more than 12 games, however the others can and would be confirmed ineligible on a 13th AFL match.
Ineligible
Note: I assume no more than 12 games means that a 13th match rules a player ineligible.

Fasolo, De Goey, Grundy, Treloar, Pendlebury
White, Blair, Adams, Brown, Varcoe
Greenwood, Reid, Sidebottom, Crisp, Sinclair
Moore, Maynard, Howe, Smith​

Injured (unlikely to play again in 2016)

Provisionally eligible

Langdon
Ramsay
Swan

Eligible unless they play AFL from R15 onwards

Provisionally ineligible

Elliott
Scharenberg

Neither have played a match in 2016, so therefore are currently ineligible. Would need to play VFL, but not AFL before the year is out

I'll try and keep this updated. Please let me know if I've mucked up any of the info and I'll edit accordingly.
Cheers - much appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back