VFL VFL finals 2016 - who's eligible in OP (discussion to qualifying final thread please)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing confirmed, but talk that Port Melbourne's ground might not be available to host the finals this season due to the wet/muddy condition. Port are due to host Geelong in 3 weeks time, so maybe that will give a better idea. Sandringham or Box Hill are possible alternatives, but I hope we push for Victoria Park.

Can't link to the article, but google Port Phillip Leader North Port Oval and it's the top result.
PORT Phillip Council says it is tackling the “sub-soil drainage issues’’ that led to the closure of North Port Oval.

Port Melbourne’s home game against North Ballarat was played at Frankston Park on Saturday (R17 30 July) after AFL Victoria’s turf consultant ruled the ground wasn’t up to VFL standard.

Borough president Peter Bromley said the club was disappointed to lose the fixture but North Port needed a break.

It will get one until August 27, when Port hosts Geelong.

Port Phillip mayor Bernadene Voss said in a statement that the ground hadn’t coped with “large volumes of rain in short periods of time this winter’’.
Voss said the council had also started to implement a “rectification plan’’ developed with AFL Victoria’s turf consultant and the football club.

She said it was “very confident’ it could bring the oval back to good condition.

Further discussion here too: http://www.vflfooty.com/content/north-port-oval-not-standard

Nothing confirmed, but talk that Port Melbourne's ground might not be available to host the finals this season due to the wet/muddy condition. Port are due to host Geelong in 3 weeks time, so maybe that will give a better idea. Sandringham or Box Hill are possible alternatives, but I hope we push for Victoria Park.

Can't link to the article, but google Port Phillip Leader North Port Oval and it's the top result.

Further discussion here too: http://www.vflfooty.com/content/north-port-oval-not-standard

If we finish top 2, we should damn well insist on Vic Park.

Bearing in mind, these alternative venues would be for the elimination, semi and preliminary finals. They would not host a home qualifying final for 1st and 2nd, unless 1st and/or 2nd are home tenants. Places like Frankston Park, Williamstown, Box Hill and Sandringham have been touted and would be good fits. Even Princes Park has been mentioned. I note on that forum one of the posters is a timekeeper for the VFL who seems to think that a Frankston Park final is in the bag. But he has gotten other certain things wrong before, so wait and see, I suppose...

This isn't unprecedented, at least in modern times. In 2010, I remember they had to move the semi and preliminary finals on short notice from North Port because of the exact same problem. They were moved to Box Hill, which is standing room central.

Possible week 1 finals fixture (if Pies qualify for a home final, factoring in the probable logistical demands of Channel 7 and assuming North Port is out):

1st QF: Collingwood vs Sandringham, Victoria Park, Sat Sept 3rd, 2pm
2nd QF: Casey vs Williamstown, Casey Fields, Sun Sept 4th, 2pm
1st EF: Geelong vs Essendon, BHCO, Sat Sept 3rd, 2:10pm (TV)
2nd EF: Port Melbourne vs Footscray, BHCO, Sun Sept 4th, 2:10pm (TV)

Looks good to me! :)

Last edited:

If we finish top 2, we should damn well insist on Vic Park.

Bearing in mind, these venues would be for the elimination, semi and preliminary finals. They would not host a home qualifying final for 1st and 2nd, unless 1st and/or 2nd are home tenants. Places like Frankston Park, Williamstown, Box Hill and Sandringham have been touted and would be good fits. Even Princes Park has been mentioned. I note on that forum one of the posters is a timekeeper for the VFL who seems to think that a Frankston Park final is in the bag. But he has gotten other certain things wrong before, so wait and see, I suppose...

This isn't unprecedented, at least in modern times. In 2010, I remember they had to move the semi and preliminary finals on short notice from North Port because of the exact same problem. They were moved to Box Hill, which is standing room central.

Possible week 1 finals fixture (if Pies qualify for a home final, factoring in the probable logistical demands of Channel 7 and assuming North Port is out):

1st QF: Collingwood vs Sandringham, Victoria Park, Sat Sept 3rd, 2pm
2nd QF: Casey vs Williamstown, Casey Fields, Sun Sept 4th, 2pm
1st EF: Geelong vs Essendon, BHCO, Sat Sept 3rd, 2:10pm (TV)
2nd EF: Port Melbourne vs Footscray, BHCO, Sun Sept 4th, 2:10pm (TV)

Looks good to me! :)
Logistic demands were a little more understandable when the ABC had the rights due to their limited budget, Channel 7 on the other hand...

In terms of other grounds I don't like the idea of Carlton profiting and our record is at Williamstown is poor, so the other 3 options or North Port would be preferable. TradeDraft would think it's Christmas if Frankston hosts the finals.

Logistic demands were a little more understandable when the ABC had the rights due to their limited budget, Channel 7 on the other hand...

In terms of other grounds I don't like the idea of Carlton profiting and our record is at Williamstown is poor, so the other 3 options or North Port would be preferable. TradeDraft would think it's Christmas if Frankston hosts the finals.

Maybe so, but 7 and McGuire Media probably don't fancy shifting their gear from ground to ground if it can be avoided. Mind you, they did broadcast a block of games on Saturdays and Sundays at different grounds earlier in the year, so who knows?

If the finals are played at Frankston, TradeDraft might just camp out in the Bryan Mace Stand with a sleeping bag, some Twisties and his smartphone all through September...

Agree. Sadly that be next best place for VFL Finals.

Though TAC Cup Finals are there

Not the TAC GF, though, that's at Docklands, which is a silly place to play state league and Under 18s deciders. Looks horrible on TV and the atmosphere doesn't exist.

Should be moved back to Princes Park, but there's a question mark as to whether that place is equipped for television these days, given a couple of games that were going to be broadcast there this year were moved to Preston...

Just quietly the surface at Victoria Park is rather poor too. I can't see it being used for any more than one final.

Last time we were there I remember being almost shocked at how patchy the ground was when I walked out for the quarter time huddle.

Box Hill may be the best location to host finals of all the VFL grounds (except Geelong) if North Port isn't available, it has a greater capacity than North Port even crowd wise.

Honestly though, and fans will hate this, the best place to host all of the VFL finals, including the grand final would be Geelong's stadium. It's by far the best VFL stadium as it's AFL level.

Just quietly the surface at Victoria Park is rather poor too. I can't see it being used for any more than one final.

Last time we were there I remember being almost shocked at how patchy the ground was when I walked out for the quarter time huddle.

Box Hill may be the best location to host finals of all the VFL grounds (except Geelong) if North Port isn't available, it has a greater capacity than North Port even crowd wise.

Honestly though, and fans will hate this, the best place to host all of the VFL finals, including the grand final would be Geelong's stadium. It's by far the best VFL stadium as it's AFL level.

How about the Whitten Oval?

How about the Whitten Oval?
Ah forgot about that one, although it's a jumbled mess as far as how it's laid out for spectators, it does provide a fair capacity, and a decent playing surface.

So yeah would probably be the best Melbourne metropolitan choice.

Ah forgot about that one, although it's a jumbled mess as far as how it's laid out for spectators, it does provide a fair capacity, and a decent playing surface.

So yeah would probably be the best Melbourne metropolitan choice.

And it's ten minutes from my house ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wherever they host it, unless they want the ground to be empty, the ground needs to be central. Having Geelong VFL fans drive to Frankston is ridiculous, likewise Box Hill fans drive to Geelong.

Port, Vic Park or Princess Park are best fits IMO

It's sad how bad the surface of Vic Park has become, can't help thinking allowing dogs onto the ground maybe at least partly responsible for the patches of dead grass. The Sherrin Stand pocket and goal square was also quite muddy last game.

It's sad how bad the surface of Vic Park has become, can't help thinking allowing dogs onto the ground maybe at least partly responsible for the patches of dead grass. The Sherrin Stand pocket and goal square was also quite muddy last game.

It's a public park now, not a footy venue. It will only take one serious injury for Collingwood to pull the pin forever. Very sad.

It's a public park now, not a footy venue. It will only take one serious injury for Collingwood to pull the pin forever. Very sad.
They've taken the "public park" thing a bit too literally really. Most junior sporting ovals have better security and keeping people off the field during the week than Vic Park does. There's no interest from the local council at all in maintaining the playing surface to even a local footy level.

They've taken the "public park" thing a bit too literally really. Most junior sporting ovals have better security and keeping people off the field during the week than Vic Park does. There's no interest from the local council at all in maintaining the playing surface to even a local footy level.

Agree. It's really a park surrounded by a museum. I'm surprised the club actually allows its investments to run around on that surface. My local club has a better standard.

Yarra Council had little choice in this. I attended the community forums years ago, when the Pies were leaving for Olympic Park, and the Abbotsford locals were making all kinds of demands about what should happen to Vic Park. Razing it entirely to the ground was one of them.:mad: Others wanted it turned into a picturesque suburban park, along the lines of the old Fitzroy ground in Brunswick Street.:oops:

The outcome - retaining and refurbishing most of the stands, keeping the oval for playing footy, and introducing landscaping, BBQs, etc - was a compromise. But I have some sympathy for the Council on this.

Maintaining the surface is another issue. Maybe if the Pies committed to playing more VFL games there, the problem would be resolved? I agree that Council doesnt appear to be keeping its end of the bargain. Have the Pies also renegged? Then there is the issue of the never working electronic scoreboard...

Actually agree here.
Kardinia Park is easily the best, for this VFL level it is the best ground, good atmosphere.
This kills Etihad just too empty in my view.

Yarra Council had little choice in this. I attended the community forums years ago, when the Pies were leaving for Olympic Park, and the Abbotsford locals were making all kinds of demands about what should happen to Vic Park. Razing it entirely to the ground was one of them.:mad: Others wanted it turned into a picturesque suburban park, along the lines of the old Fitzroy ground in Brunswick Street.:oops:

The outcome - retaining and refurbishing most of the stands, keeping the oval for playing footy, and introducing landscaping, BBQs, etc - was a compromise. But I have some sympathy for the Council on this.

Maintaining the surface is another issue. Maybe if the Pies committed to playing more VFL games there, the problem would be resolved? I agree that Council doesnt appear to be keeping its end of the bargain. Have the Pies also renegged? Then there is the issue of the never working electronic scoreboard...

I was under the impression the surface is bad because Fitzroy use it often.

I wouldn't think the surface would be sub standard because of the public use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back