Opinion VICBias - Genuine Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

In June, July and August, 3 freaking months, Collingwood leave Melbourne twice...every other game is at their home ground. I mean... how can you argue, with a straight face, this isn't a structural, deliberate and farcical advadvantage
In the first 10 round you've played 7 games at home. Pretty impressive when you only share that ground with one other team.

In June, July and August, 3 freaking months, Collingwood leave Melbourne twice...every other game is at their home ground. I mean... how can you argue, with a straight face, this isn't a structural, deliberate and farcical advantage?
Well if you're arguing that the flip side is that Collingwood were given an intentional disadvantage at the start of the year, which could have derailed our season. Then if you drill down deeper and look at our run home, it's all against top teams, when we'd prefer to loading up our training to prep for finals against weak teams rather than fighting tooth and nail for ladder position.

I have my strong suspicions that clubs have ways around salary caps. I heard somewhere for instance years ago Geelong managed to find their players "cheap" property to buy. I don't know if this is true or not, but it would be an easy way around the cap if the AFL was not looking too hard, and it is easier for clubs in Victoria to do shady salary cap dealings.
Your heard? Where? On here? Do you have some evidence or links or something? Anything?

Surely it would be much easier for interstate clubs under the radar to organise any shady real estate dealings?

You don't think it is odd? I mean GWS is very good this year, not a look in, and not a single game between two non-Victorian teams.
Who wants to watch GWS on Friday night? They don't have many supporters.

Most people are busy anyway. To me the big TV audience nights are Thursday and Sunday when people are more likely to be home.

Well if you're arguing that the flip side is that Collingwood were given an intentional disadvantage at the start of the year, which could have derailed our season. Then if you drill down deeper and look at our run home, it's all against top teams, when we'd prefer to loading up our training to prep for finals against weak teams rather than fighting tooth and nail for ladder position.
Intentional disadvantage at start of year? What? Home game v interstate team. St Kilda at MCG. GABBA. AO neutral game against a bottom 4 team. Home game against interstate team. ANZAC DAY Wankfest. "Blockbuster" at MCG. Marvel game against last year's wooden spooner. This week home game against interstate team.

I mean if that is, in your mind, an intentional disadvantage, then im not sure what we are doing here.

I personally think the ideal competition would be

Victoria - 7 teams
Western Australia - 2 teams
South Australia - 2 teams
New South Wales - 2 teams
Queensland - 2 teams
Tasmania - 1 team
Here's a better idea, have state leagues and then a play off of the league champions.

Vic 7 Teams = equals loss of 3 fan bases, probably in the 100's of thousands, so no.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But then HQ loses all those fan bases, so not possible.
They wouldn't lose all of them, they wouldn't even lose most of them, if they managed the cull correctly. They would lose some. What a shame, those ones can join the dwindling number of bitter Roy boys that still lurk on the outer

They wouldn't lose all of them, they wouldn't even lose most of them, if they managed the cull correctly. They would lose some. What a shame, those ones can join the dwindling number of bitter Roy boys that still lurk on the outer
Fitzroy still exist, most of their fans still follow them. They don't follow the ALF anymore, or at least most of them don't. Pretty certain HQ would want as many fans as they can get.

As for the rest of your post, you're wrong, you can't take away clubs and expect the fan base to stay on, that's just ludicrous.

Anyway it's moot because all the clubs would have to vote for it, and the clubs to be cut would have to put it to their members, the members wouldn't vote for it.

Fitzroy still exist, most of their fans still follow them. They don't follow the ALF anymore, or at least most of them don't. Pretty certain HQ would want as many fans as they can get.

As for the rest of your post, you're wrong, you can't take away clubs and expect the fan base to stay on, that's just ludicrous.

Anyway it's moot because all the clubs would have to vote for it, and the clubs to be cut would have to put it to their members, the members wouldn't vote for it.
This reply is riddled with evidence free assertions which I can't be bothered replying to. What we can agree on is inertia and current institutionalized Vicbias in the AFL means reducing the number of Vic clubs is highly unlikely in the near term. But I will keep advocating for it because it's the best thing that could happen for a fair national competition

This reply is riddled with evidence free assertions which I can't be bothered replying to. What we can agree on is inertia and current institutionalized Vicbias in the AFL means reducing the number of Vic clubs is highly unlikely in the near term. But I will keep advocating for it because it's the best thing that could happen for a fair national competition
Personally, I'd rather we didn't have an AFL, coz it's impossible to have it equal, given the myriad of reasons already explained ad nauseum on these boards over many threads.

I'd rather we go back to state leagues, so you and others don't have anything to constantly whinge about.

But if you really wanna death ride clubs that have been around for 100 year plus, and their fans, I think we're done conversing.

I really wouldn't wanna death ride your club, not even the enemy, the blues, but I'd like to see you go, given your hatred of other clubs.

Clubs don't need salty vengeful fans like you. Bye.

Personally, I'd rather we didn't have an AFL, coz it's impossible to have it equal, given the myriad of reasons already explained ad nauseum on these boards over many threads.

I'd rather we go back to state leagues, so you and others don't have anything to constantly whinge about.

But if you really wanna death ride clubs that have been around for 100 year plus, and their fans, I think we're done conversing.

I really wouldn't wanna death ride your club, not even the enemy, the blues, but I'd like to see you go, given your hatred of other clubs.

I don't know what everyone else is watching, but I'm watching a really even comp, with the best teams spread out over multiple states.

I heard on Bigfooty that in 2016 the AFL admitted the umpiring cost the Swans 4 goals but it turns out that was just made up BS by you and a salty Sydney journalist.

Didn't make up anything

Here

The league were embarrassed to the point that then-acting AFL general manager of football operations Mark Evans rang Sydney chief executive Andrew Ireland on the Tuesday after the match to apologise for the umpires costing the Swans four goals. The winning margin blew out late to 22 points after the Bulldogs kicked the final two goals in time on of the final quarter.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...e/news-story/dd26db5f59740617c8e4847d13e5294b

I don't know what everyone else is watching, but I'm watching a really even comp, with the best teams spread out over multiple states.
Yeah it's even from a performance point of view, but the inequities are still there.

• Travel
  • GF
  • Marquee games

The list goes on, if we had state conferences, we wouldn't have those inequities.

Good, you're agreeing with me more and more. Keep replying and you may even be completely educated eventually.

Absolutely nothing stopping teams that have been around 100 years continuing and returning to a state league if they want, just like your Fitzroy example. They just have no place as standalone teams in a national competition.

If two or more of them want to merge and stay in the national comp but achieve the goal of reducing Vicbias, bring it on.

See, several options that don't involve scorched earthing them.

You don't want a national comp at all - how about you stop following it then? Most of us nonVics want it, and want it fairer. Some Vic's also want this. They're not all neanderthals.

Intentional disadvantage at start of year? What? Home game v interstate team. St Kilda at MCG. GABBA. AO neutral game against a bottom 4 team. Home game against interstate team. ANZAC DAY Wankfest. "Blockbuster" at MCG. Marvel game against last year's wooden spooner. This week home game against interstate team.

I mean if that is, in your mind, an intentional disadvantage, then im not sure what we are doing here.
Did you notice that the two best teams from last year who had the shortest preseasons anyway had to start the season a week earlier than most teams in order to promote footy outside of Victoria - and those two teams were really shit at the start of the year. Looks like it's derailed one of those teams seasons - could have easily been both.

Yeah it's even from a performance point of view, but the inequities are still there.

• Travel
  • GF
  • Marquee games

The list goes on, if we had state conferences, we wouldn't have those inequities.
Have you considered that perhaps the evenness suggests that these things aren't the massive disadvantage that some carry on about.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back