Mega Thread VICBias - Genuine Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is an interesting way of framing it actually, and in some ways more productive

In a 200m race

Teams where the MCG is their home venue - 10 metre head start

Marvel teams and Geelong - 7 metres head start

NSW and QLD teams - 4 metres head start

South Australian teams - 2 metres head start

Western Australian teams - At the start line

Yeah, I was more trying to show how advantages stack.

At times it is easy to focus on one e.g. MCG Grand final, or academies, but you need to look at them all together.

In 2015 the Hawks travelled interstate the same number of times as the Eagles and one more than Freo, beat both in finals and beat both at Subi.
Ten years ago, happened once, because that club sells its home games interstate to Tassie for profit, where it still has a ground advantage over opposition teams.

Spare me.

I think looking at the AFL you need to balance all the advantages and disadvantages, and try to get to the point it is close to even.

You can argue about how much of an advantage each one is, but I don't think you can argue they are an advantage.

If the AFL was a 200m race, some of the Vic teams would get a 50m head start and then suggest the teams should train harder.

Hopefully the VFL can correct this quickly

200m race

Percentage of your list that is from your state
  • If under 50, move back 5ms
  • 50 to 70 no change
  • +70 move forward 5ms

Home Grand final
- if your home ground is the MCG, move forward 10m
- if you are Victorian, but not don't play most of your games at the MCG move forward 5m

Academy
- Do you have a academy, if so move forward 10m

Large supporter base (This is hard, as it does not apply to Geelong very well)
- Under 30k members, move back 10m
- Under 50k, no change
- Over 70k, move forward 10m

Marquee games
- Move forward 3m per marquee fixtures e.g. good Friday, Anzac day etc

Thursday night, Friday night games (nationally broadcast)
- Under 2 games average of the last 10 years, move back 10m
- Under 4 games average of the last 10 years, move back 5m
- 4-6 games move forward 5 m
- Over 6 games move for 10m

Play 10+ away games per years
- Minus 5m

WA teams extra travel
  • minus 5m
  • 12 business class seats - 1 cm

Traditional state (increased change of bringing in experienced players)
+5m
How much is the "Good Bloke" Defence the Victorian "National" media seem to run with on tribunal decisions for Vic Players opposed the "he deserves 5 games for that" they tend to go with for a Non Vic player?

How much advantage is the Victorian Government Funding model that corrupts the AFL's decison making worth in this race?

Just a couple of other handicapping measures to contemplate.

How much is the "Good Bloke" Defence the Victorian "National" media seem to run with on tribunal decisions for Vic Players opposed the "he deserves 5 games for that" they tend to go with for a Non Vic player?

How much advantage is the Victorian Government Funding model that corrupts the AFL's decison making worth in this race?

Just a couple of other handicapping measures to contemplate.

There are lots I missed.
Time in the league, which impacts father son.

Vic clubs can top easier, with free agency if they are top5.

Non vic clubs don't get stuck in the bottom 4 for as long.

Vic umpires

I am sure there are more

Yeah, I was more trying to show how advantages stack.

At times it is easy to focus on one e.g. MCG Grand final, or academies, but you need to look at them all together.
Which is fine, But you also have to admit that there are ways in which things work for the Non victorian clubs. Not everything is a negative. Your biases were showing.

It is an interesting way of framing it actually, and in some ways more productive

In a 200m race

Teams where the MCG is their home venue - 10 metre head start

Marvel teams and Geelong - 7 metres head start

NSW and QLD teams - 4 metres head start

South Australian teams - 2 metres head start

Western Australian teams - At the start line

How many metres head start would you say the academy matching rules are?

So all things considered, in a 200 metres race who starts the race with advantages and how big are the advantages?
The MCG clubs still come out ahead. The gap is no where near as big as Non Victorians believe it is.
Which advantages were missing?

I had academies.
Home ground advantage for Non Victorian clubs adds far more over the course of a season than it does for Melbourne clubs as they play more games against teams that have to fly in. This is balanced out by Melbourne clubs playing more games in Melbourne.

The MCG clubs still come out ahead. The gap is no where near as big as Non Victorians believe it is.
Home ground advantage for Non Victorian clubs adds far more over the course of a season than it does for Melbourne clubs as they play more games against teams that have to fly in. This is balanced out by Melbourne clubs playing more games in Melbourne.
Comedy GOLD right there...😂😂

I think looking at the AFL you need to balance all the advantages and disadvantages, and try to get to the point it is close to even.

You can argue about how much of an advantage each one is, but I don't think you can argue they are an advantage.

If the AFL was a 200m race, some of the Vic teams would get a 50m head start and then suggest the teams should train harder.

Hopefully the VFL can correct this quickly

200m race

Percentage of your list that is from your state
  • If under 50, move back 5ms
  • 50 to 70 no change
  • +70 move forward 5ms

Home Grand final
- if your home ground is the MCG, move forward 10m
- if you are Victorian, but not don't play most of your games at the MCG move forward 5m

Academy
- Do you have a academy, if so move forward 10m

Large supporter base (This is hard, as it does not apply to Geelong very well)
- Under 30k members, move back 10m
- Under 50k, no change
- Over 70k, move forward 10m

Marquee games
- Move forward 3m per marquee fixtures e.g. good Friday, Anzac day etc

Thursday night, Friday night games (nationally broadcast)
- Under 2 games average of the last 10 years, move back 10m
- Under 4 games average of the last 10 years, move back 5m
- 4-6 games move forward 5 m
- Over 6 games move for 10m

Play 10+ away games per years
- Minus 5m

WA teams extra travel
  • minus 5m
  • 12 business class seats - 1 cm

Traditional state (increased change of bringing in experienced players)
+5m

What's at the finish line with this mash up of things?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's not a disadvantage.

Collingwood wanting to set up a hub and play in QLD over successive weeks is an advantage remember. So being away from family can't be a disadvanatge.

Isn't that right Elixuh?

Collingwood are just battlers, even selling games your travel half as much as interstates.

Comedy GOLD right there...😂😂
What part tripped you up?

If you can't admit that West coast get an advantage from playing teams that fly in - then pretty much all arguments around the GF are meaningless.

And if you can't admit that west coast get this advantage more often than every Vic club then you need to go back to year to Maths class.

Last edited:
What's at the finish line with this mash up of things?

I don't have that much time.

Collingwood, Richmond, Essendon, Carlton, Richmond would be well ahead I would think.

Not sure how the smaller vic sides, compare to the non vic sides, or SA and WA sides vs QLD and NSW sides.

My guess would be

Big Vic Sides (Collingwood slightly ahead due to marquee time slots, Carlton probably as well)
Day light
Geelong
then dead heat with
Small vic sides, NSW and QLD, and SA and WA sides. (Sydney, Crows and Eagles have some advantages, so they get 5m head start)

What part tripped you up?

If you can't admit that West coast get an advantage from playing teams that fly in - then pretty much all arguments around the GF are meaningless.

And if you can't admit that west coast get this advantage more often than every Vic club then you need to go back to year to Maths class.
Love the "AFL house" mentality...😂

What part do you disagree with?
You're right up there with the 2 collingwood 🤡 clowns that totally don't understand the argument.
I'll try again just for you.
We understand the restrictions due to geography, nothing can be done about that, but there's plenty of other ways to even things out some.
But you keep dribbling your angle..👍

Once again we are forced to play our 'home' game on Sunday at someone elses home ground. Would much rather play Brisbane at the G where they have a poor record, we beat them there last year. Vicbias.
The ground, or how many times you play on it, is only relevant to non-Victorian teams according to WA wowsers.

Brisbane playing at Marvel the same number of times as Hawthorn doesnt matter, Hawthorn still enjoy a full home ground advantage according to the WA whingers.

Ground familiarity only becomes an issue come GF day.

That's not a disadvantage.

Collingwood wanting to set up a hub and play in QLD over successive weeks is an advantage remember. So being away from family can't be a disadvanatge.

Isn't that right Elixuh?
It is a huge disadvantage based on the drivel that is put forward by the whingers.

But they will probably trot out the it aint a disadvantage if the club chose to sell it line, which makes a complete mockery of all their sooking.

Last edited:
The academy is why I had the Northern clubs ahead of SA so that is already factored in.
Right, so you think playing an extra 2 neutral games in NSW and travelling 5 less times would be more influential to your premiership chances than having Heeney, Gulden and Blakey in your team?

I know I wouldn't trade Moore and Daicos to get some more neutral games at the G and an mcg GF.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back