News Virtual AGM 12th February from 5.30pm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Not enamoured with bringing soccer (?????) and hoops into the venue.

The Alberton precinct needs to remain solely a footy based centre of excellence, not diluted by peripheral matters.

By all means include partnerships with other sports as a part of the Club collective and community branding, but keep them separate from our home ground ie. link up with the 36ers, Adelaide United, etc and keep them at their own venues.
This wins the top award for the most provincial, conservative Souf Strayan post of the year.

Can somebody explain to me why some tin sh*t no supporter club like North Melbourne is debt free whilst we swim in debt?
I’d like to know that to but with both clubs. How much of a handout do the Vic clubs get?

Holly Ransom should be in complete awe of someone like Christine, who's actually gone out there and achieved the sort of things Holly hosts seminars about.
That Holly appointment has never sat right... I mean she ain't even a Port supporter (her team is the Weagles if memory serves).

Tokenism at its finest

In 2019 the annual Roy Morgan poll showed port with 270k supporters and north with 226k supporters.

Maybe some perspective will help you.

Now it's been a while since I did maths at school, but as I understand it 270k is a bigger number than 226k. Do you have a point?

Now it's been a while since I did maths at school, but as I understand it 270k is a bigger number than 226k. Do you have a point?

My point was that PapaG, the serial north hater that has been wishing the death of the north Melbourne football club for over a decade on this site, mouths off like Port are West Coast, when infact there are many parallels between our two great clubs.

It wasn’t a slight on Port. I like Port.

I just hate the miserable PapaG

My point was that PapaG, the serial north hater that has been wishing the death of the north Melbourne football club for over a decade on this site, mouths off like Port are West Coast, when infact there are many parallels between our two great clubs.

It wasn’t a slight on Port. I like Port.

I just hate the miserable PapaG

Don't despise North. They are just at the end of a long tail of undeserving VFL Legacy club that are in the league because of incumbency. Melbourne are probably the least deserving club in the league, at least North are honest triers coming from a low base, Melbourne are the idiot son of the aristocracy who've pissed away their Grandpa's fortune.

North shouldn't be killed off, a relocation to Canberra would be the best option for them. Melbourne can * off to the Ammos.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not enamoured with bringing soccer (?????) and hoops into the venue.

The Alberton precinct needs to remain solely a footy based centre of excellence, not diluted by peripheral matters.

By all means include partnerships with other sports as a part of the Club collective and community branding, but keep them separate from our home ground ie. link up with the 36ers, Adelaide United, etc and keep them at their own venues.
I garnered from there mention of the Soccer world cup that incorporating that into the facility and hence hosting a women's world cup team might be a key plank of getting significant Government support.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

I garnered from there mention of the Soccer world cup that incorporating that into the facility and hence hosting a women's world cup team might be a key plank of getting significant Government support.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

Providing facilities that are unisex friendly and promote community participation and sport are critical for the Alberton precinct and securing the long term stability of the club. Strengthening and diversifying the amount of sports and types of events to be held at Alberton goes a long way to helping with community, council, state government, sporting code and federal government funded grants.
Having the ability to host, hold and rent out any facilities that are owned by PAFC would be long term revenue raisers and improvements for the area.

An observation of my friend network is that Port supporters are more likely to also follow soccer at multiple levels than Crows fans. I think it’s a good tactic to link ourselves more with other sports and soccer is a good place to start.

An observation of my friend network is that Port supporters are more likely to also follow soccer at multiple levels than Crows fans. I think it’s a good tactic to link ourselves more with other sports and soccer is a good place to start.
Crystal balling: This state really needs an alternative to Adelaide United I hate everything about them.

Maybe a traditional black and white team would appeal to those who can't warm to plastic franchises. I'd call them Adelaide City

Possibly have a black and white animal as a mascot, something like a zebra, perhaps?

Maybe a traditional black and white team would appeal to those who can't warm to plastic franchises. I'd call them Adelaide City

I loved Adelaide City

it was a real shame they were striped from national representation, the best club

Juve got a got an interesting idea there....

Never been one for the manufactured heaps good thing and then when Griffen was involved f them which is a pity as I played a bit and don't mind the thinking that goes into the game.

I've had a bit of time to reflect on this idea and my initial skepticism has waned signficantly.

I reckon that opening up the Alberton Oval precinct (known as the Queen and Albert Oval in the 1870s) to other sports at the highest level would be totally in line with what the original owner of that land, former Port Adelaide Football Club Chairman John Formby, had in mind when he donated that parcel of land to the then Queenstown and Alberton District Council for use as a sporting ground for local residents and wharf workers.

That precinct now hosts a lawn bowls club, a cricket club (and a croquet club previously) so it is already not just a footy venue. With government funding support the notion of upgrading it to a multi use high quality sporting centre for the broader Port Adelaide community makes a heck of a lot of sense to me. Not forgetting that much of the high performance focus of an upgraded Alan Scott Centre is entirely relevant to the needs of other sports such as soccer and basketball.

And its not just a hollow vision either. Soccer and basketball are the perfect sports to target in providing much needed upgraded facilities to the community not just because of the high participation levels (especially amongst kids) but because the existing facilities in the immediate vicinity (excluding St Clair) are in need of major upgrading. A linked sporting precinct with some shared common use facilities is the most cost effective and efficient way of delivering that at a time when private and public sector budgets are going to be in recovery mode for the next decade.

Makes a heck of a lot of sense to me.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back