State Focus WA 2022 - Western Australia’s junior footy talent

Remove this Banner Ad

he's more like a Sean Darcy from Fremantle than a forward.
Sean is handy resting forward. I know that's not the same thing as being a forward/ruck, especially the mobility and speed issues.

I kind of have the same question about Broadbent working in tandem with Darcy rolling between ruck and forward should Lobb be traded.

Saw two games live this weekend, here are the players that stood out for mine:

West Perth vs Claremont
Kane Bevan (WP #9) - I think we all know what Bevan is capable of at this point. His biggest knock is the lack of foot speed, but has a mass of other talents. Fantastic at reading the ball, spread from the contest, has a knack for winning free kicks (already fits into the AFL with the diving forward when tackled or drawing high contact. Not a fan of it, but has proven to work at every level by players in the past), has a decent enough kick - gets penetration and doesn't loop it up.
Jack DeMarte (WP #18) - Simply too good for the colts at this point as an overager. Should be playing in the reserves to push for league footy. He's just bullying kids out there with his 2 years of experience in the system. Cracking goal sense.
Daniel Gathercole (WP #16) - Really composed user of the footy out of the backline. Feel like he's grown an inch or two over the offseason, looks like he's also hit the weight bench. Should slot straight into the WA under 18 team this year, feel like a lack of versatility may hurt his draft chances, not a lot of want for pure backmen who don't break the lines.
Luke Michael (WP #7) - Undersized floating intercept defender. Reads the play exceptionally well, was key to WP hanging on, has magnet like hands. Really impressed how easily he makes everything look.
Noah Vanderwiel (WP #32) - Really crafty forward type, loves pushing up the ground to get the ball in his hands, loves crumbing at ground level inside forward 50. Hopefully the injury he sustained wasn't too serious (didn't look great), and he can keep pushing his case this and next year.

Aiden Riddle (C #40) - just bullied Sprigg off the park in the ruck, couldn't believe he was an underager. Claremont have really found one here, the kid is a gem. Just has that bit of X-factor about him in that he excites with his ruckwork and follow-up efforts. One to watch.
Harry Cole (C #3) - Great offensively, horrible defensively. Just didn't look interested in tracking back to help out without the footy, but found him extremely dynamic when moving the ball forward.
Kai Dehavilland (C #10) - Undersized midfielder, but plays with a lot of heart, something you don't get from every kid out there. Really makes the opposition earn their kicks. Would love to see him get his hands on the footy more.
Sam Gilbey (C #9) - wasn't at all impressed by Sam's game on the weekend but I know he has more to give and he'll be disappointed in himself I feel. Needs to find the footy more and use his pace and kicking ability to cut through opposing teams.
Daniel Curtin (C #21) - first time I've seen him play, and I get it. Just a freakish athletic kid, strong hands, great workrate, kicking is 50/50 whether it's elite or shocking, but if he keeps working on it I don't see any reason why he won't be a first-second rounder next year.
Cooper Childs (C #39) - undersized small forward, but just radiates the same type of energy as a Jason Castagna. High pressure, frantic workrate in the F50, loves a kick for goal.

Subiaco vs South Fremantle
Koltyn Tholstrup (S #23) - wow! Was really impressed by his contested work in the forward line early in the game, and his move into the midfield impressed me more. Moves so well for a kid of his size, cannot fault the effort and follow-up efforts in ground ball contests. Really loved what I saw, this kid will make it to the AFL
Lance Collard (S #10) - just so crafty with his ball movement and delivery inside 50. Just needs to find more open space and get his hands on the footy. Once he builds a little more confidence at this level (just his 5th colts game) he'll be unstoppable with his attributes
Robert Hansen jnr (S #13) - strongly built kid, liked what he brought to the table on debut. Needs some time and seasoning but has some nice ball skills and breakaway speed
Zac Sadowski (S #16) - strong key defender, a little undersized to play that role at higher levels but does his job with aplomb in the colts

Roan O'Hehir (SF #33) - wearing 33 like his younger sister (who is an incredible league footballer at 15 years old), reads the footy well, creates his own space at the contest, finds good options by hand and foot
Chase Bourne (SF #3) - if you told me he was the best player on the team I wouldn't have believed you. Really struggled to get into the game at all. I think the coaches need to find a balance between playing him in the mids and playing him forward. Didn't get near the footy in the first quarter and think that had an impact on the rest of his game. He needs the footy to have confidence, and leaving him stranded in the forward line when his teammates can't get it down to him just isn't the go. Should start the game in the middle, he and the team need him with the ball to have an impact.
Christian Wilson (SF #7) - love him. Such a smart kid, knows how to win the footy and where to be to receive it and keep the ball going forward. Unfortunately just too small to be considered at the next level.
Seth Connor (SF #15) - overager, can find the footy, smart positioning, but wouldn't be surprised if more than half of his kicks were turnovers. Souths need to find a better outlet, because he shouldn't be the one trying to hit targets.
Hey mate who would you compare chase bourne, kane bevan, sam gilbey and christian wilson to AFL players, like who do they have similarities to by the way they play.

Colts coaches award votes for the first two rounds, interesting at seeing who’s polling votes

Attachments

• C6398EC2-A42B-4F01-B66D-B7D90F49F93D.jpeg
    C6398EC2-A42B-4F01-B66D-B7D90F49F93D.jpeg
    116.4 KB · Views: 192
  • 1580E8F2-8461-410A-9BA9-6E5A91C13A09.jpeg
    1580E8F2-8461-410A-9BA9-6E5A91C13A09.jpeg
    105.1 KB · Views: 173
  • CB9E68DB-1535-4D63-B872-49E96C5B05F3.jpeg
    CB9E68DB-1535-4D63-B872-49E96C5B05F3.jpeg
    78.9 KB · Views: 191
Not a senior SENIOR player but would love any more info on 20 year old Wade Derksen from Northern Territory who came down late to Peel Thunder last year.

Has returned recently and the 197cm forward kicked 4 goals today and 8 in his 3 games in 2022.

My brief take based on last weeks game against West Perth(I didn't see today's game against West Coast where he kicked four goals).
  • On face value he has a reasonable level of mobility for a big guy (WAFL says 197cm), although (to compare to others out on the field) not as athletic as Treacy or Amiss - not sure there was any good speed, but didn't look too slow and lumbering. Seems to have a good leap.
  • Played as both a leading third forward and as a ruck and impacted as the forward taking some good marks and kicking a couple of useful goals. I did note though that he was playing more as the third forward behind Amiss (kicked 5 goals and looked dangerous as a target all game) and Treacy (kicked four goals, also looked much more dangerous that Dersken) and as such got probably lesser opponents, but on the flip side had to play further away from goal which would have lessened his opportunities.
  • I thought he had really good hands in contested marking situations;
  • I thought his rucking was serviceable, with the main attribute being able to get his hands on the ball a bit and generally tends to kick it well (ended up with 17 possessions).
My initial impressions was that he was noticeable and useful but I have some concerns on the athletics side that I would want to see some stats on first and competition against some more dangerous opponents before suggesting that he is in range for a drafting this year.

My brief take based on last weeks game against West Perth(I didn't see today's game against West Coast where he kicked four goals).
  • On face value he has a reasonable level of mobility for a big guy (WAFL says 197cm), although (to compare to others out on the field) not as athletic as Treacy or Amiss - not sure there was any good speed, but didn't look too slow and lumbering. Seems to have a good leap.
  • Played as both a leading third forward and as a ruck and impacted as the forward taking some good marks and kicking a couple of useful goals. I did note though that he was playing more as the third forward behind Amiss (kicked 5 goals and looked dangerous as a target all game) and Treacy (kicked four goals, also looked much more dangerous that Dersken) and as such got probably lesser opponents, but on the flip side had to play further away from goal which would have lessened his opportunities.
  • I thought his rucking was serviceable, with the main attribute being able to get his hands on the ball a bit and generally tends to kick it well (ended up with 17 possessions).
My initial impressions was that he was noticeable and useful but I have some concerns on the athletics side that I would want to see some stats on first and competition against some more dangerous opponents before suggesting that he is in range for a drafting this year.
Cheers for that, is friends of friends so keen to see what the more educated thought of him.

Sounds like that token "too good for state footy, not quite good enough for league" type.

Colts Votes Leader Board After Round 3
Votes taken from the WAFL stats page and from one observer who watched live or on stream (Volunteers welcome)
Note - 2004 DOB's Reuben Ginbey (EP), Elijah Hewett (SD), Steely Green (SF) have played league football in 2022.
+ = Over ager 2003 DOB
** = Below ager 2005 DOB

Leader Board Games Votes Ave Goals Seth Connor+ (SF) 2 22 11.00 2 Mitchell Keene** (P) 1 11 11.00 - Connor Carbone (PT) 1 9 9.00 - Connor McDonald (P) 1 9 9.00 - Darcy Jones (SD) 3 23 7.67 - Jedd Busslinger (EP) 3 22 7.33 1 Kane Bevan (WP) 3 22 7.33 2 Angus Laurisson+ (SD) 3 22 7.33 - Koltyn Tholstrup** (S) 3 20 6.67 9 Jack Demarte+ (WP) 3 18 6.00 9 Jed Hagan (EF) 3 18 6.00 1 Lance Collard** (S) 1 6 6.00 2 Fletcher Netherway (CL) 2 12 6.00 2 Kai Holmes+ (SF) 1 6 6.00 - Michael Durack (SD) 2 11 5.50 1 Jack Gouge (S) 2 11 5.50 1 Jack Cleaver (EF) 3 16 5.33 - Chase Bourne (SF) 2 10 5.00 3 Riley Hardeman** (SD) 3 15 5.00 1 Cameron Hall (P) 2 10 5.00 - Joel Rush (PT) 2 10 5.00 1 James Spadanuda (EF) 3 15 5.00 2 Hugh Davies (CL) 2 9 4.50 - Baxter Phillip (P) 2 9 4.50 4 Coen Livingstone** (P) 2 9 4.50 1 Reece Torrent** (PT) 2 9 4.50 - Sokaa Soka+ (EP) 3 12 4.00 - Corey Tregenza-Cashell+ (PT) 1 4 4.00 3 Luke Yeo (EF) 3 11 3.67 3 Noah Farrow (WP) 3 11 3.67 2 Christian Wilson (SF) 2 7 3.50 - Jasper Scaife (WP) 2 7 3.50 5 Conrad Williams (CL) 2 7 3.50 - Ethan Logan** (PT) 2 7 3.50 - Daniel Gathercole (WP) 3 10 3.33 - Jacob Evitt (S) 3 10 3.33 2 Mitch Lonnie (WP) 3 9 3.00 3 Jordyn Baker (EP) 3 9 3.00 - Michael Sellwood+ (PT) 2 6 3.00 - Rohan O'Hehir (SF) 2 6 3.00 - Edward Graham (SF) 2 6 3.00 3 Rudy Webster** (SF) 1 3 3.00 - Darcy Clarke** (PT) 1 3 3.00 - Dylan O'Dea** (S) 3 9 3.00 - Ben Weymouth+ (P) 2 6 3.00 - Tyler Messina** (EF) 1 3 3.00 2 Joe Matthews** (CL) 1 3 3.00 2 Ethan Barbieri (S) 3 8 2.67 - Will Bailey (CL) 3 8 2.67 1 Josh Sukuroski (CL) 3 8 2.67 - Max Willson** (CL) 3 8 2.67 2 Jackson Broadbent (PT) 2 5 2.50 - Robert Hansen Jr (S) 3 7 2.33 4 Xavier Milner (EP) 3 7 2.33 -

Last edited:
“We’ll definitely add another key defender and keep the door ajar for anyone who really steps up.”

Son of a gun Ed Allan (back), his Claremont teammate and hot 2023 draft prospect Daniel Curtin (knee) and East Fremantle speedster Koen Sanchez (groin) are currently injured but all three are expected to feature in the national under-18s carnival.
WA under-18s squad:
Conrad Williams (Claremont/Hale)
Daniel Curtin (Claremont/Scotch College)
Ed Allan (Claremont)
Mitchell Barron (Claremont)
Rohan MacNeill (Claremont)
Sam Gilbey (Claremont)
Jack Cleaver (East Fremantle)
Jed Hagan (East Fremantle)
Koen Sanchez (East Fremantle/Wesley College)
Jedd Busslinger (East Perth)
Jordyn Baker (East Perth)
Reuben Ginbey (East Perth/Wesley College)
Clay Hall (Peel Thunder)
Connor Carbone (Peel Thunder)
Ethan Logan (Peel Thunder)
Jackson Broadbent (Peel Thunder)
Jed Adams (Peel Thunder)
Josh Draper (Peel Thunder)
Mitch Edwards (Peel Thunder)
Coen Livingstone (Perth/Scotch College)
Chase Bourne (South Fremantle)
Jordan Douglas (South Fremantle)
Steely Green (South Fremantle)
Koltyn Tholstrup (Subiaco)
Tyrell Dewar (Subiaco)
Darcy Jones (Swan Districts)
Elijah Hewett (Swan Districts)
Riley Hardeman (Swan Districts)
Tom Smith (Swan Districts)
Daniel Gathercole (West Perth)
Griff Julian (West Perth)
Jasper Scaife (West Perth)
Kane Bevan (West Perth)
Luke Michael (West Perth)

A few stuff to miss out but says a few could be added in the following weeks

Awesome ... thanks

Yeah a few very unlucky. Some that spring to mind.

Hugh Davies (CL)
Joel Rush (PT)
Jacob Evitt (S)
Will Bailey (CL)
Michael Durack (SD)
Ethan Barbieri (S)
Connor McDonald (P)
Angus Laurisson (SD) # 2003 DOB

I really like the skills and pace of Christian Wilson (SF) but I guess he's considered to be too small. Would have added Sokaa Soka (EP) # as a project back up ruck/key defender just in case

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Awesome ... thanks

Yeah a few very unlucky. Some that spring to mind.

Hugh Davies (CL)
Joel Rush (PT)
Jacob Evitt (S)
Will Bailey (CL)
Michael Durack (SD)
Ethan Barbieri (S)
Connor McDonald (P)
Angus Laurisson (SD) # 2003 DOB

I really like the skills and pace of Christian Wilson (SF) but I guess he's considered to be too small. Would have added Sokaa Soka (EP) # as a project back up ruck/key defender just in case
Awesome write up and thanks for the work you put in. Noticed you have Seth Connor with another BOG or close to it… I thought his skills were 1st class, what are your thoughts on his prospects?

Awesome write up and thanks for the work you put in. Noticed you have Seth Connor with another BOG or close to it… I thought his skills were 1st class, what are your thoughts on his prospects?

He's certainly getting noticed. I thought his foot skills were cleaner than the week before too. South certainly have a slick mosquito fleet with him, Wilson O'Herir, Bourne etc. Just got to keep putting his best foot forward each match. But whatever happens I just hope he enjoys his footy and becomes the best he can be whether that be at AFL, WAFL league, ressies or ammos.

Any chance we could see the 16s list as well, thanks in advance.....think Subi will have a fair few in the squad.....unbeaten in the futures for 3 years on the trot....outstanding achievement.....winning most games in a canter too.

According to the list above, very low chance if he didn’t make the state 18’s. Dont no how many 19 year olds are in it though. He is a 19 yo playing against younger kids- it’s always a mismatch. Will he play league - thats the requirement most likely.

According to the list above, very low chance if he didn’t make the state 18’s. Dont no how many 19 year olds are in it though. He is a 19 yo playing against younger kids- it’s always a mismatch. Will he play league - thats the requirement most likely.
Agreed, needs to make the 18’s and play league at some point. He is 18 and missed last year with an ACL so hasn’t played for 18 months. First 2 games back not too bad.

My appolgies
Swan Districts have the most players in the squad with eight, including five aligned with the South West Academy, while Subiaco and Peel Thunder have six apiece.

WA under-16s squad​

Claremont: Austin van der Struyf, Hugh Boxshall, Jaxon Douglas, Lucas Ravenhill, Will Thomas

East Fremantle: Jacob Calabrese

East Perth: William Akec, Tyler Lindberg, Xavier Walsh

Peel Thunder: Albert Esterhuysen, Bo Allan, Darcy Peterson, Deian Roberts, Harry Case, Lukas Jakovich

Perth: Ali Al-Shuweli, Cooper Moore

Subiaco: Caylon Seelander, Koopa Walsh, Malakai Champion, Mitch Bell, Thomas MacGillivray, Xavier Hickey

Swan Districts: Anthony Hansen, Chayse Martinson, Cody Ryan, Colby McDonald, Harrison Chreighton, Harry Jones, Otis Harvey, Thomas Cathcart

West Perth: Baylee Payne, Kayde Sherwood, Kayle Gerreyn, Trent Hiscock

I'm interested that you think he's less athletic than Treacy, given his size, he looks more athletic and mobile to me, definitely not as athletic as Amiss though

I'm interested that you think he's less athletic than Treacy, given his size, he looks more athletic and mobile to me, definitely not as athletic as Amiss though
Just my impression watching all three in the same Peel vs West Perth game; Treacy is a smaller player (by 3-4cm?) but I felt (in that game) that he was getting up around the same height in aerial contests as Dersken (there were a couple where both were going for the same ball), I also felt faster around the field. I definitely think that Amiss is in the next category of speed (which I think agrees with your perception too), but as I said, my points were only on the sample of one, so happy to acknowledge that I could be wrong.

It can change a lot with talls within games too; when we eventually see Benning at WAFL level, my impressions of him last year was that he often started off games in a very athletic fashion for a big guy but then as ran out of endurance it was like he is trying to run through mud whilst everyone else wasn't.

Colts Votes Leader Board After Round 4
Votes taken from the WAFL stats page and from one observer who watched live or on stream (Volunteers welcome)
Note - 2004 DOB's Reuben Ginbey (EP), Elijah Hewett (SD), Steely Green (SF) have played league football in 2022.
+ = Over ager 2003 DOB
** = Below ager 2005 DOB

Leader Board Games Votes Ave Goals Seth Connor+ (SF) 3 33 11.00 2 Koltyn Tholstrup** (S) 4 32 8.00 14 Angus Laurisson+ (SD) 4 29 7.25 - Darcy Jones (SD) 4 27 6.75 3 Riley Hardeman** (SD) 4 27 6.75 1 Jedd Busslinger (EP) 4 26 6.50 1 Kane Bevan (WP) 4 25 6.25 2 Jack Demarte+ (WP) 3 18 6.00 9 Jed Hagan (EF) 3 18 6.00 1 Michael Sellwood+ (PT) 3 18 6.00 4 Lance Collard** (S) 1 6 6.00 2 Kai Holmes+ (SF) 1 6 6.00 - Reece Torrent** (PT) 3 17 5.67 - Mitchell Keene** (P) 2 11 5.50 - Jack Cleaver (EF) 3 16 5.33 - Fletcher Netherway (CL) 3 16 5.33 3 James Spadanuda (EF) 3 15 5.00 2 Jordyn Baker (EP) 4 19 4.75 2 Cameron Hall (P) 3 14 4.67 - Connor McDonald (P) 2 9 4.50 - Hugh Davies (CL) 2 9 4.50 - Coen Livingstone** (P) 2 9 4.50 1 Connor Carbone (PT) 2 9 4.50 - Joel Rush (PT) 3 14 4.33 2 Mitch Barron (CL) 4 16 4.00 1 Baxter Phillip (P) 3 12 4.00 5 Sokaa Soka+ (EP) 3 12 4.00 - Luke Yeo (EF) 3 11 3.67 3 Michael Durack (SD) 3 11 3.67 1 Jack Gouge (S) 3 11 3.67 2 Luke Michael (WP) 4 14 3.50 - Conrad Williams (CL) 2 7 3.50 - Chase Bourne (SF) 3 10 3.33 3 Lachlan Turley+ (SF) 3 10 3.33 - Mitchell Williams** (EP) 4 13 3.25 9 Daniel Gathercole (WP) 4 12 3.00 - Tyler Messina** (EF) 1 3 3.00 2 Cooper Osborne (PT) 3 9 3.00 - Edward Graham (SF) 2 6 3.00 3 Rudy Webster** (SF) 1 3 3.00 - Noah Farrow (WP) 4 12 3.00 4 Tyrone Virgo (EP) 2 6 3.00 2 Darcy Clarke** (PT) 1 3 3.00 - Joe Matthews** (CL) 1 3 3.00 2 Josh Sukuroski (CL) 4 11 2.75 - Ethan Barbieri (S) 4 11 2.75 - Aiden Nelson+ (WP) 4 11 2.75 - Ben Fairbank (P) 3 8 2.67 - Jacob Evitt (S) 4 10 2.50 2 Ethan Logan** (PT) 3 7 2.33 - Christian Wilson (SF) 3 7 2.33 - Rohan O'Hehir (SF) 3 7 2.33 - Jasper Scaife (WP) 3 7 2.33 6

Last edited:
Was probably told he wouldn't get a gig as an overager/wouldn't get a lot of mid time and requested to switch. Kids move colts clubs for opportunities all the time, he's not someone you should be worried about losing.
This take not aging well. 3 games 3 best on ground or close to it… disposal as good as anyone in the team and showing up a number of state selected players each game. Was checked closely against West Perth, played 57% game time and still got 28 touches.

Yes I’m biased because I followed Seth Connor through his Aquinas footy but his footy is speaking for itself.

My appolgies
Swan Districts have the most players in the squad with eight, including five aligned with the South West Academy, while Subiaco and Peel Thunder have six apiece.

WA under-16s squad​

Claremont: Austin van der Struyf, Hugh Boxshall, Jaxon Douglas, Lucas Ravenhill, Will Thomas

East Fremantle: Jacob Calabrese

East Perth: William Akec, Tyler Lindberg, Xavier Walsh

Peel Thunder: Albert Esterhuysen, Bo Allan, Darcy Peterson, Deian Roberts, Harry Case, Lukas Jakovich

Perth: Ali Al-Shuweli, Cooper Moore

Subiaco: Caylon Seelander, Koopa Walsh, Malakai Champion, Mitch Bell, Thomas MacGillivray, Xavier Hickey

Swan Districts: Anthony Hansen, Chayse Martinson, Cody Ryan, Colby McDonald, Harrison Chreighton, Harry Jones, Otis Harvey, Thomas Cathcart

West Perth: Baylee Payne, Kayde Sherwood, Kayle Gerreyn, Trent Hiscock
A number of WC NGA players there. Be interesting to see what the whole NGA joke looks like in two years. Should just * it off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back